News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

I have succeeded in my OBi / VoIP.ms setup but what is SIP and do I need it?

Started by Robert.Thompson, February 01, 2012, 03:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert.Thompson

Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

RonR

SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) is probably the most widely used standardized protocol in use for VoIP.  Countless SIP based VoIP providers are available offering a wide range of services, prices, and quality.

While Google Voice is attractive to many at the moment because it's free for US calls, Google Voice does not offer 911 service whereas many SIP based VoIP providers do.  Some VoIP providers offer better international calling rates than Google Voice.  Google Voice offers next to no support.

Google Voice is the relative new kid in the VoIP arena and uses a non-standard (XMPP) protocol.  The OBi is the only hardware based solution supporting Google Voice.

Ostracus

Quote from: RonR on February 01, 2012, 04:21:31 PM
Google Voice is the relative new kid in the VoIP arena and uses a non-standard (XMPP) protocol.

I assume by that statement they've deviated from this?

RonR

Quote from: Ostracus on February 01, 2012, 04:55:42 PM
Google Voice is the relative new kid in the VoIP arena and uses a non-standard (XMPP) protocol.

I assume by that statement they've deviated from this?

Maybe my phrasing was incomplete.  I meant non-insdustry-standard VoIP protocol (XMPP).

Stewart

Though not in voiolation of any standard, Google chose a subset of options that preclude sending the audio stream directly to the more than 100,000,000 IP phones and ATAs (other than OBi) presently deployed.  Any gateway must proxy the audio, which IMO makes "Gingle" a very undesirable protocol.  See http://sipsorcery.wordpress.com/2011/07/27/jingle-adventures-contd/ .

Robert.Thompson

SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) is probably the most widely used standardized protocol in use for VoIP.  Countless SIP based VoIP providers are available offering a wide range of services, prices, and quality.

While Google Voice is attractive to many at the moment because it's free for US calls, Google Voice does not offer 911 service whereas many SIP based VoIP providers do.  Some VoIP providers offer better international calling rates than Google Voice.  Google Voice offers next to no support.

Google Voice is the relative new kid in the VoIP arena and uses a non-standard (XMPP) protocol.  The OBi is the only hardware based solution supporting Google Voice.

Does this mean that the term 'SIP account' is used inter-changeably for the term 'VOIP account' such as my VoIP.ms account?

Thanks,
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

RonR

Quote from: Robert.Thompson on February 01, 2012, 05:34:05 PM
Does this mean that the term 'SIP account' is used inter-changeably for the term 'VOIP account' such as my VoIP.ms account?

Pretty much.