News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New Setup Won't Add Device

Started by nedsobi110, February 02, 2012, 10:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nedsobi110

I am helping a friend remotely to setup a new Obi110 / GV system.

GV seems to be setup and working okay - made the first call etc.

In the ObiTalk setup we can't get past the "Add an Obi Device" part - she has a dial tone and calls the **5 xxxx number and then nothing - it times out and wants her to try again.

The internet connection works because it is coming off a hub that feeds her computer which is working normally.

She tried substituting Cat5 cables - no change.

What else could it be?

RonR

Can she access the OBi directly at the IP address returned by dialing ***1 and login with a username/password of admin/admin?  If so, it's terribly easy to configure the OBi for Google Voice without the aid of the OBiTALK Web Portal:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

Google Voice on SP1:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> Name : Google Voice
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> SignalingProtocol : Google Voice
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName : (Google Voice username)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword : (Google Voice password)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_SkipCallScreening : (checked)
Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : SP1 Service

nedsobi110

thanks for the reply -

hope you get this -

got her to dial ***1 - message - "IP address not available" - DHCP Enabled

so if the computer works normally, meaning it has an internet connection, and the Obi110 can call out to the Obihai server - why does the Obihai server say IP address unavailable?

RonR

Quote from: nedsobi110 on February 02, 2012, 11:59:32 AM
got her to dial ***1 - message - "IP address not available" - DHCP Enabled

so if the computer works normally, meaning it has an internet connection, and the Obi110 can call out to the Obihai server - why does the Obihai server say IP address unavailable?

The OBi is not getting an IP address and therefore is not talking to anything.

You said:

"The internet connection works because it is coming off a hub that feeds her computer which is working normally."

Is the computer and OBi plugged into a router?  Or did you literally mean a hub and not a router.  If you have a passive hub connected to a modem, you may not be able to pull more than one IP address from your ISP.

Is the PC's IP address of the 192.168.x.y kind?

nedsobi110

thanks - I think this is the problem -

from the D-Link manual - (DGS-1005G )

"If you are connecting directly to a Cable or DSL modem, you will need a router to "share" your Internet connection or a computer
using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) or Proxy. Switches and hubs do not allow you to share a single IP address to multiple
computers.
Another alternative is to contact your ISP and purchase extra IP addresses for each additional computer."

do you think it's better to get a router or pay for an additional address?

RonR

A router will give you the ability to connect to four local devices (PC, OBi, ?, ?) and even more if you use an Ethernet switch on one its outputs.

I would recommend a one-time purchase of a router over subscribing to a second IP address and maybe needing a third or fourth in the future at even more recurring cost.

nedsobi110

D-Link DIR-601 Wireless-N 150 Home Router

is this going to be sufficient? ot do I need to spend money on an expensive router?

RonR

Quote from: nedsobi110 on February 02, 2012, 12:37:02 PM
D-Link DIR-601 Wireless-N 150 Home Router

I don't have any experience with that particular router, but you shoudn't need anything fancy.