News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller ID Name not displaying

Started by dg_102, February 26, 2012, 07:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dg_102

Hi,

After setting-up the Obi100 device, any caller to my my phone would get the CallerIDName. After updating to the latest firmware, it displays only the Number. I did a firmware reset but it didn't help. Now I would like to get back to the original firmware that the device came with. Can anyone tell me how to do it. What should I be looking for to get it the original version number?

Thank you,

dg

Stewart

If the provider sending the nameless calls is Google Voice, note that GV has never provided caller ID name.  If it was working previously, that's likely because your phone was showing a name from its internal contact list.  Does the number displayed match what you have for the contact?

If the problematic source is a SIP provider, who is it?  Does the name get logged correctly in the OBi's call history?

dg_102

My provider is voip.ms. The receiver of my call which is my standard phone(Bell) is able to see the CallerID(phone number) but not the CallerIDName that I set in Obi.

My assumption is that the January 30 firmware has a problem so I would like to revert to the original firmware of the device which worked. The problem is that I do not know which version was the original one. How can I find it?

Thank you,

dg

Stewart

Quote from: dg_102 on February 26, 2012, 07:49:50 AM... any caller to my my phone would get the CallerIDName.
Sorry, I assumed that you were talking about incoming calls.  Before blaming the firmware, log into the OBi itself and confirm that CallerIDName for the SP1 (or SP2) Service is set as you expect.  Also, confirm with a softphone that the problem is not with VoIP.ms.

Unless you have an old log file or config backup, I don't believe there is any way to tell what firmware you had previously.  Also, some versions seem to have been deleted from the OBiTalk site.

Does your name include any unusual characters, e.g. hyphen or apostrophe?  If so, it's possible that new firmware changed the escape sequences in a way that is incompatible with VoIP.ms.  Otherwise, it is IMO unlikely that the firmware broke this, because there would otherwise have been lots of complaints.

dg_102

Hi,

CalledIdName is set without any spaces or strange characters and even X_SpoofCallerID was enabled.

When using a softphone if I put my phone number in "CallerID Number" in voip.ms I get that number when I call to another phone if not then call display is empty. I can't put a callerIDName on this softphone. (Using Empathy with telepathy-sofiasip on Ubuntu 11.10)

I made a backup of the configuration and the original version was : 1.2.1 (Build: 2385). Unfortunately according to the documentation there is no way to downgrade the current version and I can't find this version to download.

Also I noticed that this error comes up at random intervals:
XML Parsing Error: no element found
Line Number 995, Column 26:                         
-------------------------^

XML Parsing Error: unclosed token
Line Number 379, Column 15:              </xsl:
--------------^

dg

Stewart

I'm not familiar with Empathy and don't know whether you can set the name.  If you have access to a Windows PC or Mac, try X-Lite.  Or, search for a Linux softphone that supports "display name".  Alternatively, confirm (e.g. with X_SipDebugOption) that the OBi is sending the name incorrectly.

If you really want to try different firmware (I wouldn't without direct evidence that the present code is messing up), see the page at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0 .  Change the file name in the obvious way to look for older versions.  For example, 1.3.0(2651) is present.  Or, a member may have archived the version you want.  Be aware you are at some risk of bricking the device by attempting to downgrade.

dg_102

Today, it all started to work. I did test with a softphone and directly using OBi and it does the CalledID Name without a problem.

Case closed. I wish I knew what went wrong, I am inclined to think it was voip.ms. On the Obi side I did a downgrade and an upgrade to the latest firmware. I am still getting the random xml error but I do not think it has any influence.

Thank you,

dg