News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Problems with Obi/GV once again....

Started by otherwhirl, March 07, 2012, 10:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otherwhirl

So I wake up this morning and my OBi/GV calls aren't working properly.

Here's what happens:

1) I place a call the phone rings when the person on the other line picks up there dead silence.

2) When someone calls me , I pick up there's dead silence again.

I have  reset  (pulled the power cables) my modem,router, and the OBi 110 unit as well.

Still NOTHING!

Anyone have a clue as to why this might be happening?

It seems like after the first 3 months of having my Obi I have been having back to back technical problems

Thanks in advance

colorich

I have also been having problems with my Obi unit, have opened 2 [separate] support tickets, and they keep telling me to try this and that.  It's getting downright annoying.  My unit has a voice quality problem, on both ends, that happens randomly but about every 3rd phone call. Even a tech recognized the problem I was having during a call with him. I have requested an RMA twice and they keep pushing me off; I wish they would just send me a replacement unit already.  I was in the 30-day Amazon return period the first time, but now I am outside the "window" by 3 days - I should have just returned the unit to Amazon during the first open support ticket.  I hope you have better luck resolving your problem. 

Stewart

Quote from: colorich on March 08, 2012, 05:25:32 AM... they keep telling me to try this and that.
Well, if you want help, post what you have already tried/found.  IMO, it's very unlikely that a defective unit would have voice quality problems without exhibiting other symptoms (crashes, failed calls, web server issues, etc.)  I'd be more convinced if you could post something like:

"I shut down the OBi and made 20 calls from Gmail, with no quality issues.  I tested the OBi with Callcentric (or other quality SIP provider) and still had intermittent poor quality.  I tried connecting the unit directly to my cable modem, setting 100 Mbps full duplex, and using a line-powered corded phone, none of which helped."

colorich

Quote from: Stewart on March 08, 2012, 06:39:12 AM
I'd be more convinced if you could post something like:

I am not out to "convince" anyone of anything. 

Sam, an Obihai support tech, heard [and acknowledged] the issue while I was having a phone conversation with him, so he's aware of my problem (as mentioned in my previous post).

Stewart, Are you an Obihai tech support agent?

Stewart

I have no connection with Obihai, other than being a very satisfied customer.

I never doubted that your voice quality issues were real.  However, it's a fact that the vast majority of such problems are caused by the ISP, provider, or user's network. It could also be something like a neighbor leeching off your unsecured Wi-Fi, or your router interfering with a cordless phone base.

If you are already convinced your OBi is "bad", you need to say why.  OTOH, if you want to find out what's wrong with your system, you should let us know what you have already tried and found, so we don't waste our time and yours on possibilites that you have already eliminated.

otherwhirl

I have tried with both my cordless (which I was told BEFORE I purchased the unit and after, that it would NOT be an issue...) and still I have the same issue. SILENCE.

My Wi-Fi connection is secure so that cannot be the issue here as well.

Quote from: Stewart on March 08, 2012, 07:12:32 AM
I have no connection with Obihai, other than being a very satisfied customer.

I never doubted that your voice quality issues were real.  However, it's a fact that the vast majority of such problems are caused by the ISP, provider, or user's network. It could also be something like a neighbor leeching off your unsecured Wi-Fi, or your router interfering with a cordless phone base.

If you are already convinced your OBi is "bad", you need to say why.  OTOH, if you want to find out what's wrong with your system, you should let us know what you have already tried and found, so we don't waste our time and yours on possibilites that you have already eliminated.

DarkNova

I am having the exact same issue. Calls go through (the other side rings) but neither party can hear each other. When I view the Obi110's "Call Status" screen it shows "Connected" but all the fields are blank like:

Audio Codec      tx=; rx=
RTP Packetization (ms)   tx=0; rx=0
RTP Packet Count   tx=0; rx=0
RTP Byte Count      tx=0; rx=0

When the call goes through properly then the codec, etc is filled in. This happened to me last week but then it resolved itself, but today its happening again. At first I thought there was a problem on Google's end, but I just tried using Gmail directly to make a call and it worked fine, but the Obi still isn't working.

Can you see if your Audio Codec, etc fields are blank like mine while it shows "Connected"?

otherwhirl

Hi,
How do I go about checking my audio codec? (I'm on a Mac)

Quote from: DarkNova on March 08, 2012, 12:15:51 PM
I am having the exact same issue. Calls go through (the other side rings) but neither party can hear each other. When I view the Obi110's "Call Status" screen it shows "Connected" but all the fields are blank like:

Audio Codec      tx=; rx=
RTP Packetization (ms)   tx=0; rx=0
RTP Packet Count   tx=0; rx=0
RTP Byte Count      tx=0; rx=0

When the call goes through properly then the codec, etc is filled in. This happened to me last week but then it resolved itself, but today its happening again. At first I thought there was a problem on Google's end, but I just tried using Gmail directly to make a call and it worked fine, but the Obi still isn't working.

Can you see if your Audio Codec, etc fields are blank like mine while it shows "Connected"?

DarkNova

From a phone attached to the PHONE port of the OBi dial * * * 1 and it will tell you the IP address of your Obi box (mine is 192.168.0.100). Then open a browser window and type that in, like:

http://192.168.0.100

It will ask for a username/password, if you haven't changed it its admin/admin.

Then make a call and while you're in the call click Status->Call Status on the left side of the screen. You can see what it shows there.

otherwhirl

Here are sceenshots of my call status as per your recommendation:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I also noticed the following audio codecs were not enabled, should they be?

G726R16 Codec
G726R24 Codec
G726R40 Codec

Lastly, i noticed both terminals were recording the same data , is this normal?

Quote from: DarkNova on March 08, 2012, 12:44:18 PM
From a phone attached to the PHONE port of the OBi dial * * * 1 and it will tell you the IP address of your Obi box (mine is 192.168.0.100). Then open a browser window and type that in, like:

http://192.168.0.100

It will ask for a username/password, if you haven't changed it its admin/admin.

Then make a call and while you're in the call click Status->Call Status on the left side of the screen. You can see what it shows there.

DarkNova

Yes, this is exactly what mine is doing. I'm not sure how to interpret it, if it is a problem with the Obi or with Google Voice, I've contacted Obihai, hopefully one of their engineers has an idea.

otherwhirl

Mods WHERE ARE YOU?????

I need some assistance here....

The9000

Quote from: otherwhirl on March 07, 2012, 10:12:59 AM
So I wake up this morning and my OBi/GV calls aren't working properly.

Here's what happens:

1) I place a call the phone rings when the person on the other line picks up there dead silence.

2) When someone calls me , I pick up there's dead silence again.

I have  reset  (pulled the power cables) my modem,router, and the OBi 110 unit as well.

Still NOTHING!

Anyone have a clue as to why this might be happening?

It seems like after the first 3 months of having my Obi I have been having back to back technical problems

Thanks in advance

I have the exact same problem. It started yesterday, 3/8/12. This is the interesting part - I have two OBI100 devices. Each one is setup with a different phone number and Gmail account. Both are attached to the same switch on the same network. One of them works fine. The other does not. I tried swapping phones, IP addresses, updating firmware on both. No matter what I've changed on the suspect unit, nothing works. I can hear a dial tone and dial out however when the other person answers, we can't hear each other. When someone calls me and I answer the phone, it just keeps ringing on the end like I never answered and they eventually get voicemail.

wp74

Me too - I have exactly the same problem. Phone worked and suddenly on 3/9 it stopped. I can hear signal but if anybody answer the phone there is silence. The same if someone calls me - I pick up and... silence. No idea what is going on. Rebooted modem, router and OBI. Nothing helps...

Stewart

Quote from: The9000 on March 09, 2012, 02:02:35 PMI have two OBI100 devices. Each one is setup with a different phone number and Gmail account. Both are attached to the same switch on the same network. One of them works fine. The other does not.
This is great news -- you likely have the resources needed to locate the problem.

I'm assuming that this problem relates specifically to GV -- have you confirmed that audio works correctly on the echo test (**9 222 222 222) and/or on a SIP account?

Next, let's make sure that the problem is not account related.  With the failing OBi shut down, temporarily configure the working one to use the other account.  If that now fails, we can look to see whether the problem is related to specific rate centers, CLECs, etc.

Otherwise, with provisioning disabled on the failing OBi, try making a configuration backup on the working unit, temporarily shutting it down, and loading the config file into the failing unit (the config file does not have passwords, so you will need to set those manually).  Reboot modem, router, OBi and test.  If that brings the failing unit to life, you should be able to set the other unit back to its normal account and be good to go.

Otherwise, remove the failing OBi from the OBiTalk portal, reset it with a paper clip, disable provisioning and configure it manually.  Again, test with the good unit off, and after rebooting modem, router and OBi.

The9000

I performed the echo test and it works fine.

How do I backup the configuration on unit A (working unit) and load it into unit B? Likewise for the B into A?

RonR

Quote from: The9000 on March 10, 2012, 03:04:07 PM
How do I backup the configuration on unit A (working unit) and load it into unit B? Likewise for the B into A?

System Management -> Device Update -> Backup Configuration

System Management -> Device Update -> Restore Configuration

The9000

Thanks I will try that next.

I just tried an interesting experiment. I moved the suspect unit over to a different (4G wireless) network setup as OBI100 -> Router -> Modem. It worked fine. I moved it back to the standard network which is setup as OBI100 -> Switch -> Astaro Firewall -> Modem. Poking around in the DHCP setup in the Astaro, I noticed the suspect unit is always mapped to 192.168.1.253 via the MAC address and the working unit is assigned a random IP by the DHCP server (currently 192.168.1.254). I'm going to play with that.

RonR

I always suspect the router in these cases.

The best test is to temporarily plug the OBi directly in the modem, bypassing the router.  Power-cycle both the modem and the OBi after making the direct  connection.  Then make sure the OBi is connected to the Internet by calling the echo test at **9 222 222 222.

Next, see if the problem you're wrestling with is gone.  If it is, the router is likely the source of the problem.  If the problem is still present, then it's obviously not the router causing it.

The9000

Update: it's working again.

I moved the suspect unit to a new IP mapping from the Astaro DHCP server to 192.168.1.209. I picked the IP at random and previously it was mapped to 192.168.1.253. I then created a new packet filter rule to allow all traffic into 1.209 and all traffic out of 1.209. It works.

When it was mapped to 1.253, I noticed I had a packet filter to allow all inbound traffic to 1.253 but not allow all traffic out of 1.253 to bypass the packet filter. It's been setup this way since September 2011 and hasn't caused a problem until now. The unit that has been working without a problem is mapped to 1.254.

Something has changed that's causing call traffic to get filtered out by the packet filter.