News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi202 acts buggy when configuring 2 GV + SIP accounts

Started by lk96, June 13, 2012, 10:11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lk96

Hello:

I recently obtained a 202 and tried to set it up with 2 GV accounts and 1 SIP account.
The two GV accounts are configured in SP 1 and 2. I'm placing the SIP account
to SP4 (the SIP account is to Voxbeam).
I'm attaching a screen shot I captured while device was rebooting and was attempting to connect
to the configured services.

What seems odd is that the IP address that all services attempt to connect to are the same (the GV server), even
for the VoxBeam service! Eventually the authentication to VoxBeam fails and the same status pages
shows a "backing off, authentication error" status.

Couple more comments to clarify what other things tried:
+ The order of the services doesn't seem to matter. But the failure mode is kind of different
depending on whether GV service is configured first or not.
   ++ I did try a configuration where I reversed the order and placed the SIP account first. The status page
would show that no service is configured for any of the SPs.
+ It doesn't seem to matter if there is an unused/unconfigured service between the configured ones
+ I have configured the SIP services to "registration not required". Yet, as shown in the status
page I attached, the device seems to attempt to register and authenticate.
+ I have been using VoxBeam on other  100 and 110 devices I have and it works fine. So it's not a login/password/interop issue.
+ I have already performed a hard reset to wipe out the configuration. It didn't change anything.
+ The Obi202 is in bridge mode.

I'm running the latest available firmware: 3.0.0 (Build: 3184M)

Anyone else is experiencing such weird behavior?
Given that it semi works if I don't mix up GV and SIP, I have hard time believing that it's a HW
flakiness.

Any suggestions?

thanks

L.

PS: when I try to upload the screen shot, the system complains that not enough space
is left in the upload section.

Stewart

Upload the screen shot(s) to imgur.com or another sharing service and post link(s) here.

Lavarock7

The IP address is listed as belonging to China.Net and a traceroute shows it going to Los Angeles (from my location) then beyond.

Have you spelled everything correctly?
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

pc44

Quote from: Lavarock7 on June 13, 2012, 02:19:24 PM
The IP address is listed as belonging to China.Net and a traceroute shows it going to Los Angeles (from my location) then beyond.

Have you spelled everything correctly?

Hi Lavarock7,

Do you think it might be a DNS infection of sorts?  Or, perhaps the OP is located in China.

pc44

lk96

Even if I wanted I couldnt misconfigure. Sp1 and sp2 are gv services.
The only account that I have to specify a name is for Voxbeam.
The sip server address I use is sbc.voxbeam.com

It's my bad that I presumed that the ip address shown was for google voice.
I will look into that a bit more.

pc44

lk96,

You may want to go ahead and check your DNS just to be sure.  It can't hurt to check.  Here's a site that checks for the DNSChanger infection in particular: http://www.dns-ok.us/

But ideally, you want to check what DNSServer1 and DNSServer2 are under
Status -> System Status -> WAN Status

Can't hurt to be sure,
pc44

lk96

At this time the obi dns servers point to my home router (10.0.0.1) which is obviously in the private space. The actual dns queries should be resolved by the Comcast dns server where my delink router is pointing to.

However here is another data point: in addition to the obi 202 I also have an obi110. The 110 doesn't have any issues getting connected. And it is similarly configured. and is installed behind the same firewall.

chrisroge

I have the same issue with my 202.  I have 3 GV accounts working fine, 4th account is SIP to Vitelity.  I noticed the same odd behavior after reboot all 4 services try to register against the same IP address.  I did not take note of the IP address though.  I did also confirm that all is OK with the Vitelity credentials by successfully authenticating against those with my Droid device.

Is this a bug in the latest firmware (I also have the latest running).  Can I downgrade?  I need the Vitelity service for e911!

One more thing to point out, initially I was using Callcentric, but switched to Vitelity thinking that could be the problem... obviously not.

chrisroge

So just to be sure I have "the latest" firmware I tried to update with Obi202-3-0-0-3180M and I received a message "Firmware downgrading is prohibited"...  well this is strange because the 3-0-0-3180M is the "latest" based on a link I followed from the ObiTalk home page... http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

So was there some problem with the firmware and the "latest" was removed from the site?  I am not sure how I can confirm my current firmware version.

lk96

Chrisroge:

the way I resolved this was to do a hard reset of the device. Unfortunately
for a while I was doing it wrong. So, press the reset button on the bottom, and hold it
for a *long* while. I don't recall how long in the end I held it but it was like 15-20sec.
The sign that it entered a factory reset was (if I recall correctly) that the power light
on the top flashed red.

Also, in my case, i tried to reload the configuration (that I backedup) prior to reseting the device.
You should keep in mind that reloading the configuration failed in my case. So plan
on entering all data manually again. In fact, I would recommend doing it that way since
you don't know what really got into the backup config file.

Yes I know it sounds stupidly simple but I was thrown off by a few things (ie fast flashing lights
that I took to mean that it was reset). Also I tried to do a reset of config through the web management.
But apparently it doesn't reset to HW defaults.

So once I did a real HW reset things recovered for me. I now have 2 GV and 2 SIP accounts
setup.

With that said though, I have to share that I also contacted Obi support for this problem.
Disappointingly enough (not to say annoyingly), they dismissed my issue on the basis
that I'm not using the Obitalk web front for the configuration. And they said that they
don't provide support when changes are made over the Web management.
It shocked me to hear that they will use an excuse not to learn about a real problem with their device.

I'm running the following version on the 202:
3.0.0 (Build: 3184M)
I normally upgrade the device by dialing "***6" from a directly attached phone handset.
This is what I did on the 202 to get it upgraded to this one.

L.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: lk96 on July 23, 2012, 08:28:48 AM

Also, in my case, i tried to reload the configuration (that I backedup) prior to reseting the device.
You should keep in mind that reloading the configuration failed in my case. So plan
on entering all data manually again. In fact, I would recommend doing it that way since
you don't know what really got into the backup config file.
Did you ever figure out how or why the backup configuration did not restore?  I'm having the same issue as you describe, backups won't reload, no error messages, (and am not using the Obi portal).

Any insights appreciated at this point. I'm tired of manually reentering everything!

lk96

I haven't. I strongly suspect it had to do with the fact that the Obi202 was already in some messed up
state and as such the state that was backed up was not corresponding to what we *think* was the effective config.

Once I recovered the Obi, I didn't try to revisit the issue, neither I retested that backed up config was properly reloaded. I was already sick and tired of manually reentering accounts and settings. And to my disappointment,
the Obi support team was highly uninterested to follow up because I was not going through the Obitalk portal.

L.