News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Options for Google Voice and ObiTalk and/or ObiON?

Started by Sparkles, July 03, 2012, 01:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparkles

Hi, I've been using Obihai for many months now, have a device (Obi110) coupled to my GoogleVoice account(s) and enjoy it.  I live rural-ish (no cell towers), and love having my GV coupled to my cell number and the Obihai device.  It's been working well.

So, I've been perusing the forums, and wondering if others are in the same boat as me...
I'm looking to use ObiTalk/ObiHai with both my desktop PC and my phone coupled to the Obi110.

So, presently, when I attempt to use GoogleVoice via gmail/gv on the PC, and dial out, it dials my Obi110 box (because that's what's coupled to my GV account).  So, I'd have to 'answer' my handset phone to dial out.
And, when someone calls in to my GV number, it only forwards to the Obi110 device.  But, not to the desktop.  Prior to installing the Obi110, I believe I could receive GV calls coming in, on my desktop/PC when logged into gmail/GV.

So I'm looking for feedback from anyone who might no about some options out there.
1) Is there a way to configure GV and/or the Obi110 so that when someone dials my GV number, it forwards and rings on BOTH my PC gmail interface AND the Obi110?
2) It looks like if I installed/configured ObiON (the PC desktop software), then I could get this working as described in '1)' above, correct?
3) Other options to engage what I'm envisioning? Maybe some info related to how GoogleChat, GoogleVoice, and GoogleTalk might not interact and play nicely?

Thanks for any feedback.

QBZappy

Sparkles,

Funny that this seems to be the topic of the day.

Have a look here:
Re: Are Obi devices limited to the number of endpoints?
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3550.msg23594#msg23594
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

jimates

All programs/apps that uses Google Chat (gmail, obi, talkatone etc.) sign into your google account to access the chat feature. Only one can sign in at a time. So it is generally not possible to use both gmail and the Obi at the same time for calls.

Most people report that when you open your gmail account, it signs in and the Obi is kicked out. Evidently not the same in all instances. This is why the recommendation is to use a different gmail account for the Obi than you use for your email. Of course when you want to use both, either at the same time or not, this is not a good recommendation.

1) Is there a way to configure GV and/or the Obi110 so that when someone dials my GV number, it forwards and rings on BOTH my PC gmail interface AND the Obi110?
Not on purpose. Some have reported success, although unintentional.

2) It looks like if I installed/configured ObiON (the PC desktop software), then I could get this working as described in '1)' above, correct?
Sort of, you would have a way to independently make calls from your computer that interacts with your Obi. But it would not interact with Google Voice or gmail at all.

3) Other options to engage what I'm envisioning? Maybe some info related to how GoogleChat, GoogleVoice, and GoogleTalk might not interact and play nicely?
See the first statement of the post.

QBZappy

Quote from: jimates on July 03, 2012, 10:48:42 PM
So it is generally not possible to use both gmail and the Obi at the same time for calls.

I think you mean GTALK (not gmail)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

GregoryZ

Sparkles,

If I understand, what you are really wanting is; when someone calls your GV#, you want your home phone and your computer to ring.  Correct?

If so, then you're right to go with you option #2.  However, I think what you ment to say was to download and install the OBiAPP.  Of course you will need a soft phone too.  (ie: x-lite 4)

With the help of everyone on this Forum, especially; QBZappy, Jimates and the MIA; RonR, I've been able to get things all set up.

Like Jimates said, you will have to ditch the gmail / GTalk interface.  You won't need them.

After you get your OBiAPP and Softphone installed.
Change the inboundcallroute on the OBi device for the service that has your GV info in it,
to: {ph,PP1(ob290######)} where the ###### is the number of your OBiAPP.

Then you will be able to make and rec. calls from your attached phone and/or the Softphone.  

I'm thinking that this is what you are asking for.  But, you can look at this post too.  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3550.msg23594#msg23594

If all of this is not what you were looking for, then I appologize for the space it has taken.   ;D

GregoryZ
OBi100, OBi110, OBi200, OBi202

jimates

Quote from: QBZappy on July 03, 2012, 10:53:35 PM
Quote from: jimates on July 03, 2012, 10:48:42 PM
So it is generally not possible to use both gmail and the Obi at the same time for calls.

I think you mean GTALK (not gmail)
No, I don't think I did. Calling from within Gmail uses google chat, same as the Obi. Google Talk is a stand alone communication program with both voice and IM. I think it will act independently and not interfere with Google Chat.

In the beginning google called the forwarding phone listed in google voice asl "Google Talk". This was confusing for some, but now they do call it "Google Chat".