News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Adding Long Distance Provider - HOW?!

Started by kwan, July 12, 2012, 09:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwan

First, I'm new to this.  Have a SIP account and VOIP is working :)

Problem is that I have a lot of long distance to Serbia.  I have a long distance provider where I dial their local number, they recognize the number I'm calling from as a registered number, and then the recorded message asks me to enter the number I wish to call.

I'd like the phone hooked to my OBI110 to automatically route the call to this number if it starts with "011".

How do I accomplish this??  Turning out harder than I expected, and there is probably an easy solution.

Thank you in advance!!!

Stewart

The OBi cannot send out DTMF automatically, except on the Line port of an OBi110.

The attached phone may have speed dial buttons or a contact list that could do this.  You could also automate two-stage dialing with e.g. a free PBXes account.

However, you can likely find an equal or better value from a SIP provider.  Are you calling landlines (if so, which city)? or mobiles (if so, which carrier)?  What rate are you paying now?

Some SIP providers with low rates to Serbia include CallWithUs, CheapVoIPInc and Localphone; all can function as calling cards as well.  Even less expensive, though SIP only, is Voxbeam (another Localphone brand).  Localphone offers a 5-minute free trial at signup, Voxbeam has a $1 free trial.

kwan

Thank you for the response. 

I noticed the OBI110 had speed dial and "Gateway and Trunk" groups that I thought could be used.  Phone has speed dial though and that might be simplest, you are right.

With respect to sip provider I tried, and couldn't really beat the rates I was getting from Startec (and ensure good quality).  I'm calling generally landlines in Serbia (ie. Belgrade rates).  They were only $.079 per minute plus $2.99 a month.

Looking at some of what you provided CheapVoipInc might work well.  So .... I guess my question is, if I get CheapVoipInc, how would I set that up on the system?

Again -thank you for your response, Stewart!!!

Stewart

If you stay with Startec, you could set a speed dial in the OBi so you could dial e.g. 2# to reach their access number.  At their prompt, you would then dial the destination number manually.  The next step would be to set speed dials in your phone, which would send 2#[pauses as needed][your contact's number].

You may be able to get a free trial at CheapVoIPInc; see this thread http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27236116-CheapVoipInc-Beta-testers-needed- .  To set up the OBi, use the 8-digit account number and password given in the CVI: Account Details email that you received.  Set ProxyServer to outgoing.cheapvoipinc.com

kwan

"You may be able to get a free trial at CheapVoIPInc; see this thread http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27236116-CheapVoipInc-Beta-testers-needed- .  To set up the OBi, use the 8-digit account number and password given in the CVI: Account Details email that you received.  Set ProxyServer to outgoing.cheapvoipinc.com"

Sorry, what I meant to ask is how do I use a second VOIP carrier for outgoing to Serbia.  I have freephonline.ca voip for my main voip service, which covers almost everything else I need.

Stewart

Quote from: kwan on July 14, 2012, 06:45:29 PMSorry, what I meant to ask is how do I use a second VOIP carrier for outgoing to Serbia.  I have freephonline.ca voip for my main voip service, which covers almost everything else I need.
Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking.  If you set up freephoneline.ca on SP1, you would set up cheapvoipinc.com on SP2.  As with most "generic providers", the only specific information needed is the proxy server (outgoing.cheapvoipinc.com), your 8-digit account number, and the password supplied by cheapvoipinc.

Once set up, you can send calls on SP2 by dialing e.g. **2 381 11 xxx xxxx to call a Belgrade landline.  (**2 forces a call to use SP2.)  If desired, you could set up speed dials for your contacts, and/or modify the digit maps to automatically select cheapvoipinc for all international calls or for calls to specific countries.

If the above does not answer your concerns, please ask more specific questions.

kwan

**2 answered it perfectly, thank you :)

I was thinking I had to somehow automate it for certain area codes :)

Sachin1

I have a local access number to call and then have to put in a speed dial number. It is like a pre-paid card. However, once I dial the speed dial number, it goes into a vacuum and disconnects! It goes back to the dial tone!
I have no problem with the other landline that I have. Problem is only for the OBi110 connected phone.

Any clues?

Sachin

QBZappy

Sachin1,

Welcome,

Try adding a pause "," between the access number and the telephone number.
eg: 1800xxx-xxxx,,,,5145551212
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Sachin1

Thanks for the prompt response!
Here is what I have to do
1. Dial the local access number (xxx) -xxx-xxxx
2. Asks for registered phone # + pass code
3. On putting in the 2, it says welcome and dial the number you want to call
4. I put in the overseas phone or a quick card number say 123.
5. It tells you, that there are 500 minutes available for the call.
6. Upto this point, it is fine... then there is a long pause...
7. Back to dial tone!

Thanks,
Sachin1

QBZappy

Sachin1,

If I understand you correctly you asking to automate the entire call.
1) Look in the call history for any clues with that call.
2) Does the service provide a second dial tone to make your call? (DISA)

Try: To increase/decrease pause time add/delete ","
Speed dial number = **1A,,B,C,,,D

A= local access number XXXXXXXXXX
B= registered phone # 
C= pass code
D= Tel number you want to set up in speed dial to call
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Sachin1

QBZappy,

Thanks for your response.

Based on your input, after step 5, instead of the speed dial, I tried manually putting in the number. And it worked! Country code + Area code + Phone #.
So in general, it appears that the speed dial, stored with the service provider, does not seem to work.

Once again, thanks for your suggestions.

Sachin1