News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 100 messes up internet connection since yestterdays Googlle Talk outage

Started by Bobbie, July 27, 2012, 05:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbie

During yestterday's Google Talk outage, I rebooted the modem, router and Obi 100 several times. I also did a factory reset with a paper clip. I'm not sure if this is the same as rebooting via ***9.

When I started triubleshooting the problem was Obi not making outgoing calls, but I culd still use the internet. After  a while the Obi device itself would cut off any internet connections. My modem and router were operating normally, but I could use internet anymore. I even had the same problem when using the neighbors' wifi address. Unplugging the Obi from the router doesn't even solve the problem. I have to reboot the modem and router without having the Obi connected to get any internet.

Does anyone have any suggestions to what Problem this might be? My setup worked fine for the last couple of weeks. Thanks for your help.

QBZappy

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Bobbie

Thanks for the suggestion. I had already tried this during my troubleshooting yesterday and it didn't change anything. My setup had been working fine for weeks before this happened, so I doubt that it's an OBI-router compatibility problem.

This morning I disabled DHCP and entered a static IP which got me back online while the device was connected to router and computer, but I still can't get the OBI working.

If you have any other suggestions, I'd be most grateful. Thanks!

QBZappy

Another network related fix I've seen is to disable any SIP ALG in the router. (For those using Tomato firmware it is called NAT Helpers. Remove check mark on the SIP setting)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Bobbie

Thanks for the suggestions, QBZ

Customer support sent me the following instructions, which helped. I'm reposting them here in case anyone has a similar problem.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to post these instructions in the FAQ, unless I missed them?

--------------
Since the device has been factory reset, you'd need to reconfigure it again.

Let's start over:
- factory reset your OBi by dialing ***8 and press 1 to confirm
- login to obitalk.com
- ADD DEVICE, and follow all the steps with **5 xxxx  (it does not matter
whether you already have it in the dashboard, this step is still needed to
bind the device to obitalk).
- Click on SP1, and select Google Voice
And reenter your gmail username/passwd into the appropriate fields, and hit
Submit.

Once the SP1 GV status becomes "Connected", you are good to go.