News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Really bad call quality lately

Started by Ionblue, July 30, 2012, 09:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ionblue

I'm not sure why, but my call quality lately using an OBi100, latest firmware, and GV is horrible.  I even went so far as to buy another router that allows QOS and set my Obi to a fixed IP and gave it highest priority and it's still bad.  I can hear the callers perfectly fine on my end, but they can't make out a single thing I'm saying.  They say I'm completely garbled.

I don't know what else to try at this point.  I test my connection and I have plenty of upstream bandwidth.  I'm about to give up on this if I can't find a solution.

Help?

mfratella

I'm in the same boat as you.  For about the past month, the caller on the other end keeps having the audio drop out for milliseconds at a time leading to a choppy sound.  I've tried everything and nothing seems to work.

Ostracus

Have both of you bypassed the router? Don't forget to leave the power off for about two minutes before plugging modem back in to release any MAC binding.

mfratella

Have tried that and it still does not solve the issue.

Ionblue

Quote from: Ostracus on July 30, 2012, 10:38:47 AM
Have both of you bypassed the router? Don't forget to leave the power off for about two minutes before plugging modem back in to release any MAC binding.

Are you saying to put the OBi into the DMZ on the router or to bypass it completely as a test temporarily?

Ionblue

Well....  I don't think I have a problem with the Obi or my network connection.  After many tests, both on the router and off, I came to one conclusion - it's the speakerphone component of my handset that is causing the problem!!!!  I pick up the wireless handset and the call quality both ways is perfect.  I use the speakerphone option on the handset and the call quality is perfect.  I try to use the speakerphone on the base and everything is garbled on the other end.

I'm not exactly sure how the heck I'm going to fix this, but at least I know now that it isn't the Obi or my connection.

mfratella

Mine is actually the Obi.  Every single thing I've tried yields the same result.  It seems as though it coincided with the last firmware update.  It wasn't always like this.

Ostracus

Quote from: Ionblue on July 30, 2012, 10:44:21 AM
Quote from: Ostracus on July 30, 2012, 10:38:47 AM

Are you saying to put the OBi into the DMZ on the router or to bypass it completely as a test temporarily?

Bypass temporarily. Process of elimination and all that.

QBZappy

mfratella,

Lately call quality issues have come up.

This is the standard thing to try with network related and call quality issues (YMMV):

Re: OBi110 Connecting to network issue - strange!
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3270.msg21780#msg21780
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.