News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

voice delay using SIP

Started by skyshine, December 13, 2012, 10:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skyshine

Hi,

I am really happy with my OBI110 purchase! The callback function is especially nice. I currently have landline, GV, and Callcentric (call-in only)  registered. I also like the ability to call-block as well!

Now, on to the question:
Is it just me, or is there about 0.5 second to a second delay of voice? For example, if I make an outgoing call via GV to my cellphone, then say hello when connected, I hear my voice approximately 0.5s - 1s after (also tried using a SIP echo service which echos back my voice, same delay). This is not the case with landline calls. I hear it almost instantly. Due to this, it is a bit difficult to carry on a conversation via SIP. If I call another person, I can tell that they are still hearing what I say even though I have finished saying it. Does anyone have this issue? is this only with GV?

Thank you.

MikeHObi

I see that from time to time with google voice, but not regularly.  When I do run into it I track the call in the google voice control panel and mark it as a problem call with the issue and share it with google.  I assume if they get enough at the same time they'll track down the issue.

It could be due to a problem router, a problem route, or an issue on the telecom or cellular networks.

all that said, it could be a problem with your ISP and their routers.  If their routers are picking a non-optimal route to get you to google excess latency can be put into the path.  (hmm, tracert to what for google voice?)
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

skyshine

Thank you for the reply. It is worse if I use it with callback. :(