News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obihai 100 rebooting itself a lot

Started by KC512, October 17, 2012, 02:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC512

The last few days my Obihai 100 has been periodically rebooting itself for no reason.  It has been on firmware 1.3.0 (Build: 2744), h/w version 3.4.
Sometimes I'll be trying to place a call and in the middle of the call, the Obi reboots.

KC512

Reverted to prior firmware version.  Still reboots.  Returned to current firmware version.
Device still rebooting about every 4-5 MINUTES.

LeoKing

I suggest you contact Obihai support to exchange the unit. It doesn't sound normal.

CoalMinerRetired

Are either of your two SIP services using CallCentric?  If yes, disable that Voice Service, and see if the random rebooting stops.

If this doesn't solve it, disable one of the two SIP services and see if it stops.

KC512

I reset the device configuration and tried to download the config from the web site.  It would not download, so I deleted the device on the website and re-created it, along with the 2 services (Google Voice and Callcentric).  The config is now downloaded and service is back.
I am now monitoring for reboots.  If it continues, then I will try disabling the Callcentric service next and see what happens.

CoalMinerRetired

I'm gonna make a guess it's the CallCentric service causing this.

KC512

It has now been up for 2 hours without rebooting now.  It appears it has been resolved.
I am using the original Callcentric configuration, instead of the modified config that was recommended due to the DDOS attacks on Callcentric.

CoalMinerRetired

I'll be curious if you got this resolved.  Messages on DSLR say the CC issues eased-off beginning last night, therefore if a CC  service on your device was the root cause of this, the issue will have gone away.

KC512

Yes, it appears the issues with CallCentric have subsided.  And the Obihai device has stayed up for over 24 hours now.
So it does look like the issues with CallCentric were the root cause.
Thank you.

ianmacd

This started happening to my Obi202 this morning.  Rebooting every 5 minutes or so.  Disabling the SP associated with my Callcentric account resolved the issue for me as well.  Not sure how it's possible for something on Callcentric's end to cause the Obi device to restart so perhaps Obihai needs to look at this too.

Thanks,
Ian

CoalMinerRetired

See here Anyone else experiencing device instabilities when CallCentric is up and down?.

I guess it's mildly reassuring to know it's not just me, (not something unique to my configuration), but of course it's not a good thing that is it happening in the first place.

IrwinFamily

This began happening to me today, 10/23, on my OBi110. I was using GV on SP1 and CallCentric on SP2. I was using callcentric.com vs. sip.callcentric.com as recommended following the DDOS attacks.
I understand this is not CallCentric's fault. They are a victim, but my wife and I have had it. GV has proven unreliable. Many numbers refuse to connect, and the call quality is only "good" at best. CallCentrics quality ranged from fair to very good. Cox Communications call quality is always perfect, it just costs a lot more. We called Cox today to switch our phone back.

pedro

Quote from: IrwinFamily on October 23, 2012, 04:36:12 PM
This began happening to me today, 10/23, on my OBi110. I was using GV on SP1 and CallCentric on SP2. I was using callcentric.com vs. sip.callcentric.com as recommended following the DDOS attacks.
I understand this is not CallCentric's fault. They are a victim, but my wife and I have had it. GV has proven unreliable. Many numbers refuse to connect, and the call quality is only "good" at best. CallCentrics quality ranged from fair to very good. Cox Communications call quality is always perfect, it just costs a lot more. We called Cox today to switch our phone back.

Amen brother.  I've just about had it too.  I was just days away from porting my home number to Callcentric.  So glad I didn't do it. 

tome

Is there an easy way to disable Callcentric on SP2 such that I can easily add it back?  I don't see an Enable/Disable checkbox....
Tom

ps:  I see Enable/Disable under Voice Services -> SP2 Service, I unchecked that, will that do it?

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: tome on October 23, 2012, 06:42:42 PM
ps:  I see Enable/Disable under Voice Services -> SP2 Service, I unchecked that, will that do it?
Yes. You have to reboot for it to take effect.

However, I hate to be a pessimist here, but at the height of the CallCentric problems over the last two weeks, I was seeing the odd Obi reboot issue even with the CC services disabled (see this thread). In all fairness having the CC services disabled (I have two) did cut down a lot on the Obi instability issues, but did not eliminate them entirely.

So count me in as also questioning the usefulness of the whole GV replace your landline scheme. With the latest GV 503 calls being rejected, and occasional dropped call, and now the CC issues causing Obi stability problems makes one look at a hardwired landline once again.

tome

My Obi110 has not rebooted (continuously) until today.  Over all the weeks of outages, while my phone service sucked because I am using Callcentric for CallerID on incoming calls from Google Voice, the 110 has been relatively stable.  Today, not so much.  Yes, this sucks on the other hand it is damn near free - you get what you pay for.  Also, unlike some, I don't really rely on it - I have cell phones and this is just my old "landline" only (nearly) gratis.

tom

ProfTech

At the risk of sounding overly simplistic, you may want to take a look at post http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4441.0

I'm not sure about Build 2719 or 2721 but it smells like 2744 could have an issue with redundancy. Could be a similar issue for the 202. Don't own one.

KC512

After a couple good days of stability, the Obihai device is rebooting every 5-10 minutes again.  I hope they fix this soon.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: KC512 on October 25, 2012, 01:03:04 PM
After a couple good days of stability, the Obihai device is rebooting every 5-10 minutes again.  I hope they fix this soon.
There are really two issues here, both in need of a fix. One is the anonymous DDoS attacks on CC, the second is the Obi device not gracefully handling changing and growing data values returned by a DNS servers (any DNS server) CC is continuously updating to counter the attacks.

Ostracus

What gets me is why anyone would want to DDOS CC in the first place, and for this long?