News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Dynamic DNS update.

Started by giqcass, December 14, 2012, 07:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giqcass

I use Dynamic DNS and now that I put the OBI between My router and my Cable modem the router can no longer determine the real WAN IP address.  Instead it gives the local address the Obi assigns it.  An automatic dynamic DNS update function seems like an obvious addition since the Obi allows web sharing and direct sip connections. 

Come on MR Obi hook us up.  ;D
Long live our new ObiLords!

Felix

How is it possible? You have a device (second router) behind the router (OBi). So, second router's IP is from the LAN segment of OBi. If you want to get real WAN IP from the second router (or a computer that is behind the second router), you need to get to whatismyip.com or dyndns.com.

OpenWRT, DD-WRT, and even some consumer routers allow you to update popular dynamic dns service (like dyndns) on a regular basis. If not, DynDNS has a windows client that can do the same.

But what do you want OBi could do to help?

giqcass

Yes I can go and manually update my IP if I wanted each time. 

This is how I used to have it set up and dynamic DNS works on my ASUS
Cable Modem<<<>>>>Asus Router with Dynamic DNS<<<>>Obi202

This is how I have it set up now but it gives me a local IP address.
Cable Modem<<<>>>>Obi202<<<>>Asus Router with Dynamic DNS

I would like to keep the Obi on the outside on my network but I also want auto updates on my DNS without a computer running.  You would think a device that allows file serving like the Obi202 would also allow auto DNS updates.

Felix

Oh, I see. Sorry, I misunderstood what you said earlier.

Well, I guess it's reason #28 why I don't to use OBi as a router (Ok, reason #1 is that I can't. AT&T Modem has a built-in router that is impossible to disable. But reasons 2 through 27 are why I don't want to)

giqcass

Well the Obi certainly isn't a full featured router but by attaching it before my main router it keeps me from putting a hub into the equation.  I prefer to keep most of my network wired.

rudyrednose

+1
I would like to see the development team add support for dynamic DNS.

To take advantage of traffic prioritization, the Obi202 should be the first device connected to the cable/DSL modem and act as a router, that is Modem---Obi202---WifiRouter---Home_network.  That is the main reason why the 202 was developped, to act as a router.

However, as long as dynamic dns is not supported within the Obi202, I will not be able to connect the Obi202 first,  and in my case I could/should have bought a Obi100

Thank you

Shameless

What happens when you put the OBI router in bridge mode? Will that work for you?  If not why not?

giqcass

I see where you are going with this idea.  I'm looking in to a few scenarios.  I can't take my network down right now to make the changes.  I'll play around with the setup Saturday night.

giqcass

I currently have my Obi202 set to update it's own DNS.  The method is simple and I have contacted the dynamic DNS provider to make sure the setup won't cause any problems on their end.  Once they get back to me with an acceptable update interval I'll post the details.  It would be very simple for OBi to add native support for this feature and I hope after posting a detailed (yet insanely simple) how to they will consider it.

giqcass

Rough Draft for hackish DNS updates:

This hack will let your OBi update Dynamic DNS.  It isn't perfect but it works very well.  It's as simple as calling a url to update the DNS at afraid.org.  I believe it would be a simple task to add this feature to the OBi firmware directly.  So please add this OBiHai.  Pretty please.  Until then here you go.

Set up a Dynamic DNS host at http://freedns.afraid.org/
Go to the Dynamic DNS tab.
Copy the "direct" update url link.
Open your Obi admin page.
Click the System management page.
Click Auto Provisioning.
Under "ITSP Provisioning" Change the following.
Method = Periodically
Interval = This setting must be greater then 400 so not to over use resources.  I use 3667.
ConfigURL = Paste the update link you got from afraid.org

Press Submit at the bottom of the page.  Restart you OBi. 

Diana

Quote from: giqcass on April 10, 2013, 08:49:55 PM
Rough Draft for hackish DNS updates:

This hack will let your OBi update Dynamic DNS.  It isn't perfect but it works very well.  It's as simple as calling a url to update the DNS at afraid.org.  I believe it would be a simple task to add this feature to the OBi firmware directly.  So please add this OBiHai.  Pretty please.  Until then here you go.

Go to the Dynamic DNS tab.
Open your Obi admin page.
Click the System management page.
Click Auto Provisioning.
Method = Periodically
Interval = This setting must be greater then 400 so not to over use resources.  I use 3667.

Press Submit at the bottom of the page.  Restart you OBi. 

I'm trying to implement the above on my OBi110, but cannot seem to get it to work.  Could you be more specific with a detail step by step listing?  I was able to setp something to the effect:

ample@chickenlittle.com;  "ample" being the "Subdomain" name.

Is this the "Copy the "direct" update url link" you have to enter in the OBi "ConfigURL"?  I'm confused.

giqcass

Now that you have set up a host name log in to afraid.org and navigate to http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/
Toward the bottom of that page you will see the sub-domain you created.  It will list a "direct" link to update your DNS.  Copy that link and place it in the ConfigURL field on your OBi.

squalk

Quote from: giqcass on April 10, 2013, 08:49:55 PM

Click Auto Provisioning.

ingenious.  Kudos!   I have a dDNS client in pfSense but you have inspired me to retain this gem for future uses.

MrGrim

I've tried to do this on my Obi100 but it doesn't update the DNS periodically.
The only way I got it to work was by having it update on reboot, and then manually rebooting the device.
If I could remotely reboot this might work, but the periodical update would be best.

MrGrim

I forgot to ask for help:

Is there anything else I need to turn on to allow it to periodically update the dns?
Do I have to enable autoprovisioning somewhere else too?

giqcass

I only changed what is shown in the screen shots.  The settings above will update on boot and about once every 61 minutes or 3667 seconds.  You can decrease that value if needed.  Please do NOT decrease the interval to less then 310 seconds. 

CoalMinerRetired

Message to giqcass, I'm curious if you are still doing this in light of the latest arrangement where you need to use the Obi Portal to make/insure any GV setups will work correctly?

giqcass

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on October 01, 2014, 10:12:22 AM
Message to giqcass, I'm curious if you are still doing this in light of the latest arrangement where you need to use the Obi Portal to make/insure any GV setups will work correctly?
I didn't bother upgrading.  I only use the Obitalk portal for mu Obi1032.  If you upgraded and use the portal you can always switch back to manual (local) provisioning after you add your Google Voice accounts.