News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Stopped Working

Started by SunnySunflower, January 14, 2013, 09:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunnySunflower

Everything has been working just fine. Then the phone went to "connecting" status and I have not been able to fix it. I used the reset button on the bottom of the Obi110 and checked the Google voice configuration. I have two lines and they both say, "Service Not Configured." No matter what I do, I am unable to change this status. My gmail and Google voice accounts are working otherwise.

Rick

Did you change your gmail passwords...?

Hollywood

Logon to your Google Voice account (on Google, not OBI) and click on your phone number. Where it says Forward To Google Chat, make sure it is a gmail address, and the same one you entered in to your OBI setup.

Hope this helps.

SunnySunflower

I didn't change my gmail passwords. Everything was working fine--I've had the Obi for over a year. The only change I made was to update the software after the Obi stopped working, because when I logged into my account I saw that it had the update icon. I also used the reset button on the bottom of the unit. I logged into Google Voice and called my cell phone from there and the calls are set to forward to Google Chat, so GV seems to be set up okay.

Any other ideas on what to do or how to troubleshoot this?

Rick

I think what you did is you updated the firmware and then you went and reset the entire unit.  What that means is all of your Google Voice setups have to be redone.

SunnySunflower

I did all that after it stopped working. It simply stopped working out of the blue. In any case, I set up my Obi GV again and still had the same problem. I then followed these steps from another message:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> SignalingProtocol : Google Voice

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName : (Google Voice Username)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword : (Google Voice Password)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_SkipCallScreening : (checked)

Now the error is 'Backing Off' which looks to some kind of authentication error. I don't have two-step gmail authentication. For whatever reason, outbound calls from GV are not going through, even though they were earlier. I will try again tomorrow. Thanks for your help. 

cici235

I'm having the same problem. No matter what I do it keeps saying Google Voice account connecting. I even tried another Google number I had and it still did not work.

SunnySunflower

I've done everything I know to do and I still cannot get past the 'Backing Off' status. I'm not sure at this point whether the problem occurred because Google made some change or there is a change to the Obi. What should I do at this point?

cici235 - Had your GV been working previously, too?

Rick

Quote from: SunnySunflower on January 15, 2013, 08:19:25 AM
I've done everything I know to do and I still cannot get past the 'Backing Off' status. I'm not sure at this point whether the problem occurred because Google made some change or there is a change to the Obi. What should I do at this point?

cici235 - Had your GV been working previously, too?

Reset the unit, and start over, ensuring that you follow the instructions for Google Voice EXACTLY.

It is usually a password issue, or you're using a non-gmail address.

cici235

Yes I've used it for a couple of years with Zero problems. Let me tell you what I now know.

I did finally get the obi110 to work. I just reset everything and started over. This did not fix the problem. I kept getting the message Connecting verses the required "connected" message.

I won't even try to tell you what I did to get it to work. Reset the Obi devise a couple of times, deleted the sp devise and reinstalled a couple of times and looked at all the settings in Google. All the things you probably did. I finally just went to bed. Woke up in the morning and it WORKED!

The rest of the story goes as follows. I installed the NEW modem from Time Warner and had the same issue. IT would never go from "Connecting" to Connected". I tried numerous things and nothing worked. At some point the message went to "backing off". I tried the usual things and could never get it to go away. I decided to get a new Google number using my Wife's Email Account. I'd been thinking about getting a new number anyway.

With the new number I could still never get the Obi device to go past connecting to connected, even after a couple of hours of waiting. I woke up this morning tested the phone at it's working.

Next time I'me just going set it up to the point where it is trying to connect and walk away from it. I wonder what is going to happen when I have a power outage?

SunnySunflower

Thank you cici. I had a similar experience to yours. I tried everything just like you did and nothing worked. When I came home today, instead of the phone saying "Connecting...," the screen read as it normally would and the line had a dial tone. I thought the problem had been solved. Then a friend tried to call me and it did not connect and I could not complete outbound calls.

I deleted the device in ObiTalk and reset it. From there things really went south. I could not get a green light once I plugged it back in. Apparently, the reset has to be done just so (http://www.obihai.com/FAQ.html#How-to-Factory-Reset). Once I did this--holding down the reset button while plugging in the unit--I was able to get back on track. Maybe the other times when I reset it, the reset did not work because the unit was plugged in. Who knows. As of now, I am back in action.

Thank you, cici, Rick, and others for your help. 

Selma

Not to be bring bad news but I lost service yesterday. Good news is it's working this morning again. I sure wish I could figure out what is going on.

Question. If you factory refresh your devise, should you have to update the firmware? My devise says it is up to date after a factory reset. I just assumed it would have be reset as it came out of the box.

Selma

BTF I'm not Selma this is CiCi. I am using my wife's new Google number.

Rick

Quote from: Selma on January 17, 2013, 06:20:37 AM

Question. If you factory refresh your devise, should you have to update the firmware? My devise says it is up to date after a factory reset. I just assumed it would have be reset as it came out of the box.

No.  Factory reset does not remove firmware.

Selma

That's what I thought. All the lights did what they were supposed to do. Time Warner finally got around to doing the correct permisioning on my modem. After the change I lost service again. So it looks like every time I have a power outage or rest my modem it will take hours before my Obi devise starts working.

Anyone have an ideas what I can do to permanently solve this issue I would sure appreciate their help.

Reggie
CiCi235

obstill

I'm having a similar (?) problem except no matter how many times I configure GV with the correct pw and all, I still get 'service not configured'. I've tried all sorts of reboots and resets
(through browser or the reset hole on the unit), restarting the browser, using a different GV account... and maybe a thing or 2 I forget. The result is always the same: 'service not configured'. And obihai's help is nonexistent, it seems.

'update' I've also tried this, suggested above:
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> SignalingProtocol : Google Voice

then did the config on obitalk.

still no change, not even 'backing off', always just 'service not configured'

further update (minus sarcasm) the above did work; you do have to 'submit' the first line before doing the other mods.

further thoughts: the above successful method communicated directly with the device, rather than going through obitalk, which failed. It seems clear then that the problem is with the obitalk server that communicates with the device. Is anybody at obihai reading this ?

MikeHObi

Can you successfully dial the obi echo test number and connect? **9222222222
Can you complete calls using google chat from gmail?

Sorry to hear about issues. I'm suspicious of the Time Warner router configuration.  I've power cycled my Obi a few times and my router 2x and never had an issue. 

have you opened a support ticket?  If not, I'd suggest doing so.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

Selma

Well it quite again. Not sure if we lost power today or not. I did look at this in the expert mode.

My password is blank and I have no idea how to enter the data into the field.Or am I supposed to do this? There is also a Red (!) beside my user names square box. Any advise would be nice. It will probably be working in the morning. But it would be nice to not have to wait several hours to connect.

Thanks Cici235

Selma

As expected it's working again.

I sure wish someone could tell me if this is an obi issue or a setting issue. Why is it taking hours to go from connecting to connected?

cici235

Rick

Quote from: Selma on January 25, 2013, 08:18:20 AM
As expected it's working again.

I sure wish someone could tell me if this is an obi issue or a setting issue. Why is it taking hours to go from connecting to connected?

cici235

I would strongly suggest you fill out an OBi support ticket.