News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Few questions before starting (porting home# to GV)

Started by CoreyV, January 22, 2013, 02:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreyV

I'm in the beginning stages of switching my DSL service to cable and want to try to go VOIP through an Obi100 (currently unpackaged) and have a few questions.

1) On the Obi number porting instructions, I'm checking my current home# on the GV porting tool.  The instructions say I'll get one of two messages - 1) number is from an area we don't support (bad - porting won't work) or 2) currently don't support porting from my carrier (good - porting should work).  I'm getting both messages from Google.  So what's my story - might I be able to port or not?

2) If I start the port process to t-mobile (TM's tool says my home# can port to TM)  and then find I can't eventually port to GV, have I essentially lost my home#?

3) Can I try out the Obi service with a random GV# to make sure I can get it to work and am satisfied with the call quality - and then later change my # with Obi somehow to my current home# (assuming I can port my home# to GV)?

Thanks from a newbie.

Rick

2) No, you will still have it, on TMobile, and can port it to somewhere else.

3) No, but just setup GV now and take a number from GV and set it up on the OBi.  Then when you're ready port your home number to that account and you'll be all set. 

CoreyV

Thanks for the reply, Rick.  Let me check for understanding.

1) Set up a new GV.  GV will give me a new random# - 407-xxx-yyyy.

2) Set up my Obi with that new random GV#.  At this point I'll have a working VOIP thru GV.

3) Port my current home# 309-aaa-bbbb to TMob.

4) Port my home# 309-aaa-bbbb on TMob to the GV account/# I set up in step 1 (407-xxx-yyyy).

If I do this my Obi will switch to recognize/use my current home# 309-aaa-bbbb after step 4 is completed by Google?

Thanks

Rick

It doesn't know your GV number, nor does it care.