News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI202 - Unregistered Direct IP Dialing, More Problems - Firmware Bugs?

Started by N2VWZ, January 23, 2013, 07:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N2VWZ

This is a continuation of my previous thread on unregistered direct IP dialing.  I thought that I had direct IP dialing working correctly, but I spoke prematurely.

I started receiving calls at random hours apparently originating from SIP Scanners.  The originating phone numbers have been 100, 1000, and 555-0000.  The same originating numbers were mentioned in the SIP Scanner Thread.

The OBi202 is replacing a Sipura SPA-2000.  I never had the SIP Scanner problem with the Sipura ATA.  I was also puzzled as to how the SIP Scanner was obtaining my 6 digit AuthUserName.

I did some testing and found that the OBI-202 was ignoring the AuthUserName parameter and was accepting calls to anynumber@mydomain.org:port.  The Sipura box rejects everything except the authorized user number and returns a 404 error code on incorrect numbers.  The OBi connects to any number (or no number) in front of the @ symbol without producing an error code.  I tried removing the @ symbol as well - this produced a 400 error code.

This looks like it may be a firmware problem.

hwittenb

I believe what you are describing is the reason one stage direct ip dialing will work.  There are side effects.  You do, however need to include the sip port number in the address (unless it is 5060 where it is inserted by default) and I would change the sip port number of the SPx (X_UserAgentPort) to some number that is not even close to the default setting.  Of course you would then need to include the new sip port number in all your direct ip calling addresses.  If the call is coming from the internet you also need to forward the sip port number in your router to the adapter because an incoming call is not solicited.  Otherwise your router will block the incoming call.

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe OBi officially supports direct ip calling.  If they don't officially support it then they don't do direct ip calling quality control regression testing on new firmware releases.  It works, generally, but with my testing with the OBi202 you sometimes run into things that don't work with direct ip calling that are probably firmware problems.   

In the last two firmware releases, the OBi202 has a setting X_NoRegNoCall that you can set to stop unregistered incoming and outgoing calls but that doesn't help with direct ip calling.  They probably implemented this in response to some complaints about receiving unregistered calls.

N2VWZ

Quote from: hwittenb on January 23, 2013, 09:02:20 PM
I could be mistaken, but I don't believe OBi officially supports direct ip calling.  If they don't officially support it then they don't do direct ip calling quality control regression testing on new firmware releases.  It works, generally, but with my testing with the OBi202 you sometimes run into things that don't work with direct ip calling that are probably firmware problems.    

According to the FAQ and latest manual, unregistered direct IP dialing is supported.  Outgoing calls are working fine.  Incoming calls are not respecting the AuthUserName parameter.  The OBi box answers all calls directed to the specified port at my domain regardless of the phone number being called.  The Sipura box only answers the number that is being called (as it should).

Unless there's something that I missed in configuration, this is a Bug that needs to be Fixed.