News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How Long Before Google Sees a Land Line Ported Through T Mobile

Started by Bob123456789, February 13, 2013, 06:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob123456789

Does anyone have any experience with how long it is until Google Voice is able to port a land line number moved through T Mobile cellular?

I am porting my land line number to Google Voice.  My land line number was ported to T Mobile last week.  Since then I have been trying every day to port my number from T Mobile to Google Voice. Every day I get the following response:

Porting your mobile number to Google Voice is unavailable
Your mobile number can not be ported at this time.
- This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support for porting.

Initially I just thought that it would take a few days for each companies data bases to be updated with the changes.  Now I am starting to wonder if it is possible to port my number.

Diana

This has been discussed many times before on this forum.  Google Voice can only port certain numbers from certain rate centers and it appears your number is one of those rate centers that they cannot port from.  I think Bandwidth is the name of the underlying CLEC that provide DIDs (numbers) to Google Voice and they might not have a presence in that particular rate center.  There is a way to check this, but I do not have the link at my disposal.  Google or search this forum.

Bob123456789

I didn't mention that I live in the fourth largest city in the US, Houston.

lhm.

"I didn't mention that I live in the fourth largest city in the US, Houston."

That may be part of the problem. Too many rate centers to cover all.

Phillip

I too live in Houston. I ported my home phone (281) through a Tracfone. No problems. It was done in under 24hrs. I didn't even have to add minutes.

Sorry you are running into this problem. Is your prefix one of the new ones?
Quote from: Bob123456789 on February 13, 2013, 07:31:19 AM
I didn't mention that I live in the fourth largest city in the US, Houston.
Obi100, sp1 Anveo, sp2 Alcazar Networks Toll Free Terminal provider, Cisco Gigabit modem, TP-Link router/switch

RFord

Phillip:

What are the first 3 numbers of your phone number.  That will give an indication of the rate center in case the Op has the same Area Code.

CoalMinerRetired

Yes, the rate center is determined by 555 in a number such as 201-555-1212.

The site http://www.localcallingguide.com, used to be able to tell you if you could port to GV (the presence of Bandwidth.com as a carrier at a switch was the yes/no indicator). However, based on some recent posts on here that may not be accurate any more. It seems to be spotty updates of where bandwidth.com is co-located.

In case this point is not clear, just because you can port a landline to T-Mobile, there's no guarantee you can then port to GV. There's sort of a leap of faith involved.

Since you ported to T-Mobile, and cannot port to GV, your options are:

1. Port back from T-Mobile to a landline. Probably no cost to do so.

2. Port from T-Mob to an alternate VoIP provider. Popular ones discussed on here a lot are CallCentric, voip.ms (that is their website), Anveo, and a few others.  Any of these will be less expensive than a landline. It will be an undetermined process if you ever want to go from the alternate VoIP provider to GV in the future.

3. Keep your ported landline on your T-Mob prepaid cell phone, but get a new, free GV number somewhere near where you live.  Then start giving out your new GV number, tell people "it changed.". Be extra careful about keeping your T-Mobile prepaid up to date or you risk losing the landline number. In a few months, say three months, check again if you can port to GV.  Repeat every three months.

In combination with #3, port your T-Mob number to another cell carrier, one with a plan that works best for you. Alternatively, convert your pay-as-you go T-Mob plan to a low cost monthly if you think you'll get the volume of calls to justify this.

Bob123456789

Thanks CoalMinerRetired.  Great summary of the alternatives.

I am not sure I understand how to use this site to confirm whether my land line number is eligible for porting. Could you describe the steps I would need to follow.  My rate center is 240.

It seems like the instructions are missing a few steps so that people can fully understand things before they begin the process.

Regarding option 2, do you know if I port my number to another VOIP provider could I then port it back to T Mobile and then to Google Voice once things were working again?  I am currently using Anveo as my 911 provider and might have to port my land line number to there.

CoalMinerRetired

BOB1-9

Use this URL: http://www.localcallingguide.com/lca_prefix.php?npa=123&nxx=456

a) If your landline number is 123-456-9999, substitute your actual landline numbers noting where the 123 (NPA) and 456 (NXX) are in that URL.

b) In the webpage returned from the above, click on any value in the Rate Center Column.

c) In the webpage returned from the above, click on every NXX hyperlink listed. Check see all the values (Telcos) under the OCN column. If you see "bandwidth.com" one time a GV port should go through (no 100% guarantees here). If Bandwidth.com is not present under any of the OCNs you are apparently out of luck (you're in an exchange GV does not serve).

There might be an easier way using the actual screens, but this is what I remember and have bookmarked.

** EDIT ** Somewhat cleaner explanation here: http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/voice/L_isDWeuOAc

> Regarding option 2, do you know ...
I don't know that. Best advice is to check with each provider's customer support contacts.

Bob123456789

Okay.  Now I understand.  I have followed your instructions and you were right.  I do not see bandwidth.com under my rate center.  I do see the local cable company who sells VOIP here.  I guess the other person in the same area code must be in a different rate center.

carl

Even if Google considers your number portable it does not mean that it will be ported, as I experienced and reported on this forum way back. I tried to port my mom's phone number via prepaid TMO to GV and while GV proceeded with the port it never finished it and after many weeks i had to call the CC company and cancel.
So it is hit and miss with GV porting.
Most VOIP carriers charge steep fees for porting, 20-25$. If you want to go low cost, try Localphone.com.
US calls are 0.5c/min, US DID 99c/ month and great int. rates. They charge 25$ for port in too, though.

Bob123456789

I just checked and Anveo will port any number in the US or Canada for $0 now since they are running a special.  Normally it its $15.  The plan I am on has no monthly charge, calls to/from  the US are $0.01/minute.  I currently have an account with them for 911 service which was costing $0.84/month plus my Obi100 is already functioning with them.  Still not as good as free if I had been able to port my land line number to Google Voice.  I will try to have most of my calls go through my Google Voice number.

It sure would be nice if there was a way people could learn this before they commit to porting their home number through a mobile number to GV.  I speant $50 buying a GSM cell phone +  sim card and several hours.

Phillip

(281) 484
Quote from: RFord on February 13, 2013, 10:58:45 AM
Phillip:

What are the first 3 numbers of your phone number.  That will give an indication of the rate center in case the Op has the same Area Code.
Obi100, sp1 Anveo, sp2 Alcazar Networks Toll Free Terminal provider, Cisco Gigabit modem, TP-Link router/switch

dircom

Still not sure how to use the referenced web site.  Mom mom lives in Tulsa, 918-747
there are a lot of Bandwith 918-xxx listed in Tulsa
but if I put in 918-747 only Southwestern Bell (now AT&T) is listed at the Tulsa Riverside Switch

Does 918-747 have to list Bandwith or can Bandwidth just be listed in Tulsa?

thanks

Bob123456789

This is the first time I've used the site, so, I am not the expert.  My understaning is that 123 XXX the XXX needs to have Bandwidth listed as a provider.

In case you are interested.  Aveneo was not able to port my number.  Callcentric has assured me that they can.  However I have not tried since their costs are a lot higher than Anveo.

lhm.

Port to voip.ms for $25.00. (pay as you go) Very good company.

Use GV911.com for 911 services, $12.00 per year.

I use both, works for me.

Edit: Anveo will refund on account closing.

SteveInWA

I'm the author (Bluescat) of the Google Voice forum post CoalMinerRetired referenced.  I'm glad to see somebody found it useful.

To the people who were/are confused about this topic, a little background helps:  Think of the land-line (including traditional POTS and VoIP) telephone numbering system as a hierarchy:  First, there's the country code, which we usually ignore, since we're talking about US numbers.  Then, there are area codes (what the localcallingguide.com website calls NPA), and then the local exchanges (NXX).  Finally, within each local exchange, there are blocks of numbers, for example, NPA-NXX-1xxx, -2xxx, -3xxx, etc.

After telco deregulation, the Incumbent local exchange carriers (ILECs, like the former Bell companies) had to open up their exchanges to allow competitors (CLECs) to co-locate their own switches, so the CLECs could also sell service.  So, after that, there's now an assortment of LECs who each have "presence", or ports, on switches in local exchanges, and they have assigned ranges (blocks) of numbers they can lease out.

It's important to understand that even within a given local exchange, different CLECs only have access to certain number blocks.  So, bandwidth.com may have 4xxx and 7xxx and some other carriers have other blocks.

SO, just because person X, living in exchange NPA-NXX- may have been successful at porting over from a cell provider to GV, another person may strike out because bandwidth.com ran out of numbers, or they don't have any numbers at all (no presence in that exchange).

Finally, note that GV and bandwidth.com reclaim numbers that people abandon (stop using for 9+ months).  You might eventually be able to port if one of those slots becomes available.

Bob123456789

lhm,

Why do you use voip.ms for your pay as you go calls but GV911.com for E911?

I have a constraint in that I am using an Obihai 100 which only allows 2 service providers.  I want to keep Google Voice.  I am currently using Anveo for E911 which costs a total of $0.84/month.