News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I call my home GV from my cell phone?

Started by pinkheart, February 26, 2013, 06:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkheart

My GV is currently set to be connected with my cell phone. After recently transferring my landline number to GV + OBi, I found I can't make a phone call from my cell phone to my GV that currently serves as a home phone.

When I dial my GV number from my cell phone, it treats me as if I called my own number and I can either check voice messages or make phone calls to other numbers than my own GV.

Is there any way I can call my GV home phone from my cell phone? I sometimes need to call family at home from outside.

CoalMinerRetired

Disclaimer, I haven't tried this in a while.

Even if you have your mobile phone set to VoiceMail = Yes, when you call your GV number, you can still press *, enter PIN if required, and then press 4 to make another call, which can be to your GV number which then rings the Obi device or other forwarding phones.

fsp412

This always happens when you call your own number from your number. There is a solution, but will require an extra step, and account. I do this with my service since I have Google Voice for Android on my cell phone, and my home phone uses an Obi100 with GTalk.

Step 1: Go to CallCentric. I am suggesting CallCentric as they will provide you with a free US (most likely NY) telephone number. Create an account, and get a free US Number.
Step 2: You will also likely have to pay for E911 service which is about $2.00/month. Be prepared to whip out the credit car. This is CallCentric's requirement anytime you can make a call, or receive a call as well as being in the US/Canada.
Step 3: Set up your CallCentric account up on the second line. It may take a couple of minutes once you entered the credentials.

Make a note of your new phone number from CallCentric. When you need to call home, you simply call the CallCentric Number. I am sure there is a way to set up ObiHai to automatically call your Google Voice number using the CallCentric line from home, but I don't know how since I only had the box for about a day.

Hope it helps,
Frank
--
Frank S. Pilone
http://fsp.tel/

Rick

Frank:

You need to read the referenced link...