News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi 202 9 fast beeps when i pickup the line?

Started by cobolstinks, May 21, 2013, 07:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobolstinks

Just installed the obi202 and set it up with 2 GV accounts.  Everything works fine, I can call out on the one GV number and both GV numbers ring my phone.

The only thing is that when i push talk on my Panasonic handset i don't get a dial-tone immediately, i get 9 fast beeps than the dial-tone.  Is there a way to skip the beeps and go right to the dial-tone?  What do the 9 beeps mean?

Thanks!

N7AS

This is the stutter tone that means that you have a voicemail. Just call your GV number and retrieve your voicemail and the stutter tone should stop.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

Jackson

QuoteThis is the stutter tone
Hmm, can't remember if it actually stuttered 9 times, but clearing it is a bit of a pain with GV.  You pretty much have to delete any VMs completely from your account.

Lotsa posts concerning this.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5456.0

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5314.msg34465

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: Jackson on May 22, 2013, 05:38:42 AM
QuoteThis is the stutter tone
You pretty much have to delete any VMs completely from your account.

I think at a gross level that is a one way to make the indicator go away.  However setting all Unread VMs to Read does clear it. I have a months worth of VMs in my GV account and the indicator does work correctly. More accurately, it did until very recently.

There were several Obi202 firmware updates that came out in the last few weeks.  the sequence was 3741 then 3878 then 3932.  3872 was 'current' for a week or two.  Under 3878, (which was current for a week or two and then was superseded for reasons not explained) I noticed a stuck VM indicator on one line of a two line phone.  Could not get it to go away. Even the indicator only field in the device interface showed the VM indicator to be clear.  Updated to 3932 and the indicator went away.

That behavior is suspiciously like behavior form back in summer and fall of 2012 when the GV message waiting indicators were broken in several firmware releases. Until the firmware bug got corrected the one way to fix a false VM indicator was to delete all the VMs in GV.

To summarize, the false VM indicator might have reappeared (and then been superseded), but for the last ~six months it did work correctly if all your GV VMs wer unread. You have to check the spam, trash etc., all folders.  And more recently with the introduction of the Text Message as Caller ID feature, be sure there are no unread Text messages in various folders as well.

CoalMinerRetired

Follow up: From the Bad News department I can confirm VM indicators do not work for GV under firmware version 3932. I'll post another thread on it, to ask if anyone else is seeing this.