News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Restrict calls based on time of day

Started by MatthewS, June 20, 2013, 07:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MatthewS

Hi,

I'm looking at possibly getting an OBi110 to connect to a POTS line. Is it possible to restrict both incoming and outgoing calls based on the time of day? For example I don't want to be able to make or receive calls between 11pm and 6am.

Regards,
Matthew

dircom

sure, get a router that you can turn off the ip address (to the obi)
by time of day

Rick

If you are using Google Voice, under PHONES you can set up a schedule for it not to ring.

Your plan to restrict OUTGOING calls would mean that if you did that on your OBi, no one could dial 911 or any other number between 11PM and 6AM. 

Huib

None of the proposed solutions help curbing usage for the POTS line. I can only speak for the OBi 100 and 110 and they have no time based restrictions.

Shale

Quote from: Huib on June 21, 2013, 06:34:42 AM
None of the proposed solutions help curbing usage for the POTS line. I can only speak for the OBi 100 and 110 and they have no time based restrictions.
dircom's solution does prevent POTS usage, it seems to me.

Huib

POTS is the regular old phone line. It does not travel through a router. Router based rules will cut internet connectivity (and therefore OBi talk and Google Voice) but does not prevent you from picking up the phone connected to the OBi110 and dialing out over the phone line nor prevent people from calling the number associated with the phone line and ringing the phone.

azrobert

Just hookup the OBi110 to an appliance timer and power it off between 11pm and 6am.
This will work with hardware version 3.4. I'm not sure if there is a newer version.

The older hardware version 2.8 will connect the POTS line with a power outage.

Shale

Quote from: Huib on June 21, 2013, 08:38:04 AM
POTS is the regular old phone line. It does not travel through a router. Router based rules will cut internet connectivity (and therefore OBi talk and Google Voice) but does not prevent you from picking up the phone connected to the OBi110 and dialing out over the phone line nor prevent people from calling the number associated with the phone line and ringing the phone.
I agree. I was not thinking.

dircom

I was thinking he wanted to restrict the GV #.  It's not clear from the post, what he is trying to do