News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Hi everyone, New to the forum and I have a question

Started by androidfonefan, September 22, 2013, 06:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

androidfonefan

I have used search and looked over the forum repeatedly for this and have not found the question posted so I will ask here.

I am new to Obi but not voip. I have been using voip apps on my android phone for well over a year now. And am fairly familiar with what goes on on the GV end of this symbiotic relationship. Have had Ooma for several months and in the last month bought a Obi 200. I works flawlessly and I love the little device but understanding that nothing lasts forever, I wondered about what if my Obi 200 breaks down and I have to get another?
What are the steps for transferring your GV number from one box to the other?
Is it as simple as unregistering the old Obi box from your Obi acct and then setting the new box up under your GV number? or is there another procedure that needs to be done through the Obihai sight?

dircom

you can set up the same GV number on two different Obi's

Shale

If two are registered , if I remember previous posts correctly, the last to sign in will receive the calls.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: Shale on September 22, 2013, 09:13:30 AM
If two are registered , if I remember previous posts correctly, the last to sign in will receive the calls.
For an Obi202 this is not correct, GV Multi Ring was a new feature is a past firmware release, and I can confirm it works as described.  Look here for Google Voice Multi-Ring.

That same page now lists multi ring as part of all Obi1, Obi2 and Obi3 series, meaning it is supposed to work on all models.  The feature is controlled by two new fields, X_GTalkSimultaneousRing (enabled by default) and X_XMPPPriority (set to zero by default, which means auto adjust).

Shale

Thanks for the correction. Thanks to your info, I have found a couple other threads that may be helpful to the OP.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5918.0
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6106.0

Even with default settings, both OBis should work if they are not active ta the same time. With sharing set up, they could both be active at the same time and both receive the ring.

Everton

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on September 23, 2013, 03:43:24 AM

That same page now lists multi ring as part of all Obi1, Obi2 and Obi3 series, meaning it is supposed to work on all models.  The feature is controlled by two new fields, X_GTalkSimultaneousRing (enabled by default) and X_XMPPPriority (set to zero by default, which means auto adjust).

Are you sure the multi Ring applies to the OB1 series?  I could not find anything related to "X_GTalkSimultaneousRing and X_XMPPPriority" on my OBi110.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: Everton on September 23, 2013, 08:04:15 AM
Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on September 23, 2013, 03:43:24 AM

Are you sure the multi Ring applies to the OB1 series?  I could not find anything related to "X_GTalkSimultaneousRing and X_XMPPPriority" on my OBi110.
No, I'm not sure. I can only speak from experience on an Obi202 model, where I've seen it work (and it's pretty nice).  For the other models I'm only going by "page now lists multi ring as part of all Obi1, Obi2 and Obi3 series,..."

drgeoff

I don't see those two settings on my 110 (with 2824 firmware) either.  I think CoalMinerRetired is misinterpreting the page he mentions.  My emphasis on quoted extract:

"1.3.0 (2824) for OBi1 Series:
Various bug fixes and performance enhancements.

3.0.1 (4041) for OBi2 & OBi3 Series:
Support for OBiLINE.

1.3.0 (2774) for OBi1 Series and 3.0.0 (3722) for OBi2 & OBi3 Series:
OBi2 & OBi3 Series:
- New voice mail message / message waiting alert for Google Voice fix.
- Google Voice Multi-Ring: Use the same Google account on multiple OBi202 devices. Incoming calls to the associated Google Voice number will ring all OBi202 endpoints and the and the stand-alone Google Talk app (Gmail browser-based phone calling excluded).

CoalMinerRetired

^ I agree, in re-reading that section it applies only to the OBi2 & OBi3 Series.