News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help with Disconnects and Delays

Started by se1961, March 15, 2014, 03:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

se1961

Hello everyone-- I am in the process of transitioning my OBI202 from Google Voice to other voip solutions. I know enough about computers, and very little about VOIP, so I have been fumbling along with advice from this board, and much much reading. My current setup: GV forwarded to Anveo for incoming calls (I know this leads to call quality reduction, but for now it works well enough for me), and outgoing calls through Localphone. I have only a couple problems:

1) every once in a while a phone call just terminates for no obvious reason. Usually I have been talking for over 10 minutes. Usually it's an outgoing call. Any suggestions about how I could begin trouble shooting this?

2) it seems to me that in many of my phone calls there is a slight transmission delay-- too slight to be obvious, but big enough to cause conversations to stumble because both parties are talking over each other, almost the way people used to have to say "Talk to you tomorrow, over--" "Okay, over--" in order not to overlap. Any explanations for why that might be happening, and/or how I could fix it?

I feel my description in #2 is pretty lame, but I hope one of the several experts on this board will take pity and offer suggestions.

Thanks so much.

Over and out.

Studly

Can't help you with #1, but for #2, the delay where you talk over each other has happened a lot to me on Google Voice and before that on other VOIP providers. It's related to long ping times to the server of your ISP as well as from there to the VOIP server of your provider. Not much you can do except switch VOIP services. For instance, VOIP.ms is the best service I've used, with minimal delay and they have servers throughout the country ... most likely one that is closer to you physically. That could reduce your ping times and delays.

That delay does drive me crazy and I was looking at LP as an alternative to Google Voice and may not want it if lots of people are experiencing these voice delays on their lines.