News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can you set Outgoing Caller ID with PowerPhone ?

Started by LJCW, March 20, 2014, 04:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJCW

I'm looking at subscribing to one of the ObiTalk approved services, ANVEO or PowerPhone.
I want to be able to set my Outgoing Caller ID to my Google Voice number.
Looking at the discussions here, it seems you can do this with ANVEO, but PowerPhone is a little cheaper.
Can you set Outgoing Caller ID with PowerPhone?
Is ANVEO worth the extra few dollars?

watgundam

I am wondering the same thing.  Basically, I would like to keep GV and Aveno seems pretty expensive and they don't have unlimited US/Canada mins.  PP package seems .more attractive.  However, not really sure about outgoing caller ID setting.

Anyone has experience with GV+ASP?

Marty.ba.calif.usa

Pretty much every VOIP provider give you callerID spoofing, as it's called.  Most require that you verify the number first, by answering and entering a code.

But I can't say 100% for sure that PowerPhone provides this.  But if they don't, I can't see how they would stay in business at all.

GaryA

I would say yes, PhonePower will allow outgoing Caller ID.

Here's their feature list...
http://www.phonepower.com/features.aspx

From this list of features, check out "Outgoing Caller ID with name".

I think this is what your were asking.

I also am seriously considering PhonePower after comparing them to Anveo and VestaLink. I worked with PhonePower's online chat today and they claim that I can select my own phone number from their list of available #'s when taking out a new number. Other providers (Anveo and VestaLink) select the number for you after you give them your area code and exchange #.

KAura

Actually I was signing up with PP, but tried 3 times and the process aborted each time...
seems weird, but they ask me what type of internet I have and the provider :P and
found "other", but nonyer was not on the list...  anywho --

Biggest difference in plans is the available minutes per $ far as I know...

but getting back to the topic on hand.

Your Caller ID CName is the name you sign up with => Last, First
if you don't like it change it before you sign up or it'll cost ya' $5
to change it...  and far as I know, yes the listings look good, but
your Caller ID Number is the number they assign you and can't be
spoofed far as my understanding goes.

Vesobitel does allow spoofing, but only complaint I've heard is the
company is young and having growing pains / outages...  but alive.

Anveo is Super Egg spensive per minutes but recommended by Obi,
but PP looks like the leader in features so far -- except f/spoofing.

watgundam

Thanks.

That's what I am afraid of - PP does not allow Caller ID# spoofing.  So, my GV# won't show up on the receiving side.  This won't work if I want to keep GV#.

I am hoping that several more ASP will be approved in the next month, so we have more choices.   

BHochstrasser

When I signed up for PhonePower, it asked if I wanted to display my PhonePower number or my Google Voice number.  If you do it during setup it's no problem.  If you do it later (let's say over Live Chat), they'll give you some grief and may not want to do it for you.

watgundam

Here is the respond from PP:

=========
  We do not offer any caller ID spoofing with our service at this time. If you would like to keep your Google Voice number, you can put in a request to have it ported over to us.

Jovan J.
Support Technician

dconway

I just signed up for the cheaper of the two PowerPhone Obi Plans and it satisfies my needs for callerID spoofing.

While they may not call it that nor offer CallerID spoofing feature in their website, when I signed up for the service (by clicking from the obitalk.com website) it asked me if I wanted to show my Google Voice number as my outgoing callerID.  I entered my GV number and it works as advertised.  When I place a call (e.g. to my cellphone) from my Obi over the new PowerPhone service, I see my GV number in the callerID.

I suspect they've enabled a one-time hack of the outgoing callerID in the setup process for Obi users getting the obi plan to override it.  But that's good enough for me!

Taoman

As mentioned, during the signup process (through Obitalk portal) you are given the opportunity to enter a phone number that will be spoofed as outgoing CID. They suggest using your GV number.

Support personnel seem to be completely unaware of this option for those signing up for an "Obi" plan. As someone said if you try and call them about changing your outgoing CID after the fact you get nothing but grief. In their web portal, you only have the option of blocking or allowing outgoing CNAM. And your CNAM is your first and last name which you can't edit. But if you block it then it displays "anonymous caller." Not good.

This was bothering me since I didn't want my CNAM to be displayed, only my number. Well it now appears that is what happens when you spoof your number. Only the number shows up, not your name. However, as near as I can tell if you port your number to PhonePower then your number and your name will be displayed on outgoing calls. I called and asked about this and she said there is no option to turn off just CNAM. It is completely on or completely off. So I then asked her about changing my CNAM to just be my city or state. No go. It HAS to be a name she says.

Seems pretty weird but that has been my experience. Bottom line is if you sign up for PhonePower thru Obitalk portal be sure to enter the number you want displayed for outgoing calls DURING THE SIGNUP PROCESS. Don't think that you will just change your outgoing CID after the fact. I know a guy who mistakenly entered his cell phone number instead of his GV number and he has had nothing but grief trying to get PhonePower to change the number.
Quote from: dconway on March 24, 2014, 04:36:26 PM
I suspect they've enabled a one-time hack of the outgoing callerID in the setup process for Obi users getting the obi plan to override it.  But that's good enough for me!
I believe this to be true as well.

Levander

Quote from: Taoman on March 30, 2014, 11:55:20 PM
This was bothering me since I didn't want my CNAM to be displayed, only my number. Well it now appears that is what happens when you spoof your number. Only the number shows up, not your name.

If you do spoof your number on caller-ID, is there anyway to get your name to show up on caller-ID as well?

Taoman

Quote from: Levander on March 31, 2014, 09:00:19 PM
If you do spoof your number on caller-ID, is there anyway to get your name to show up on caller-ID as well?
Not if the number is spoofed since PhonePower does not control that DID. They won't send out a CNAM for a DID they don't control.........the same as Vestalink.

If you are not spoofing, which means you are using PhonePower's DID as outgoing CID, your CNAM will be displayed on outgoing calls...........apparently whether you like it or not. You can block your outgoing CID but then it will display "anonymous caller."

majmskk

Can confirm that PhonePower (at least the $34.99 plan) allows you to set your outgoing callerID at the time you setup your account, and it does work. 

I contacted technical support today to change it to the correct number since I entered the wrong # during setup (I entered one of my numbers but not the right one).  Interestingly, the callerID# I gave was not verified by PhonePower during setup, i.e., no call was made to the number to check if I owned it.  Anyway the guy on tech support apparently is not aware of the Obi deal or setup and insisted that the caller ID must match the Phonepower number.  I sent him a link to the Obi setup page so he could see for himself, but I could not stay on the chat long enough for him to do it. 

I was hoping that the caller ID was configured in the Obi202 device itself so I can change it but so far have not found it.  So I think it is configured by PhonePower...and wonder if, to fix it, I will have to re-buy another year's service and start over so I can enter the right # from the beginning.

KAura

arggg....  per PP it is $5 cost to change it,

and not everyone in support is up on how
to do it, far as I can tell.

There is a 30 day refund period (check into
it), and if so you might want to cancel your
account and open a totally new one with a
different email address  so as to not get
more confused.

Depends on if you have funds to float the
new purchase until funds are returned back
into your account for the cancellation.

It's your call what you choose to do...

I would think they should allow you at least
one screw-up on this without having to jump
hoops that seem to be more troublesome.

But, not all things that are apparent are
implemented unless they occur often enough.

KAura

That's my ONLY drawback from using PhonePower!!

Honestly I love everything about the company,
especially the # of features available, and $0
charge for incoming minutes (not deducted).

Everybody else I know lets you spoof ANY # once
you have verified that it is yours via an automated
process.  PP is the only company so far I know of
that doesn't allow you to spoof your own #.

It would be safer to cancel and start over, rather
than have to educate someone support how to do
it, and then check up on it to make sure it's done
right.

Taoman

Quote from: majmskk on April 01, 2014, 05:38:11 PM
I sent him a link to the Obi setup page so he could see for himself, but I could not stay on the chat long enough for him to do it. 
So I think it is configured by PhonePower...and wonder if, to fix it, I will have to re-buy another year's service and start over so I can enter the right # from the beginning.
You do realize there is no way that tech could view the Obi setup page unless the tech already had an Obitalk account? Also, I'm not sure what that would accomplish. Nowhere in the listed feature set for PhonePower (or Anveo, for that matter) does it say anything about outbound CNAM/CID being supported. I really think having the spoofed outgoing CID was a special hack available only to subscribers of the new Obi plans and that PhonePower technical support is completely unaware of this.

As mentioned, there is a 30-day money back guarantee for PhonePower. If you can't get PhonePower to change your outgoing CID I would just ask for a refund and close your account. I would then signup again with a different email address and start the signup process again with the correct outgoing CID.

Other than the outgoing CID issue I have been very impressed with PhonePower. For me anyway, the call quality and latency is vastly superior to Vestalink.

giqcass

Quote from: majmskk on April 01, 2014, 05:38:11 PM
I was hoping that the caller ID was configured in the Obi202 device itself so I can change it but so far have not found it.  So I think it is configured by PhonePower...and wonder if, to fix it, I will have to re-buy another year's service and start over so I can enter the right # from the beginning.

You can try checking one setting that I can think of.

Voice services
>>>>>>>>>>SPx Service

In the SIP Credentials part of the page look at the Sip URI setting to see if that contains anything.  In most cases that would be blank but that could potentially be used to set outbound CID if the carrier supports that method.
Long live our new ObiLords!

majmskk

Thanks giqcass, I tried the URI suggestion, no change. 

KAura -- can you tell us whom to contact at PP to pay the $5 to get the outbound caller ID changed???  I am sure once the right person is contacted they can do it. 

KAura

You will need to call:

Billing at 888-607-6937
between 6am-5pm PST

and anybody there can help.

Malachi123

Not sure what the problem here is. I signed up with PP through Obi's interface and one of the questions was if I wanted to spoof my GV number. I said yes. I also tested this and it works...