News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV XMPP still working?

Started by cj4331, June 15, 2014, 11:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cj4331

I switched to PhonePower a few days before 5/15.  When setting up PhonePower I got rid of Google Chat.  I haven't thought much about it since.  Today I was wondering if it did indeed go away or if it's still working.  I've had trouble finding a straight answer.  Is it still working for those that chose to wait it out and see if it went away?  Any changes in the way it works?  I just used it as a POTS replacement--nothing fancy.

InetUser

Google Voice XMPP is still working the way it always has and there is no indication it's going away.

It was Obihai that said it was going to stop working on 5/15.  Google has not made any public announcement of any plans or a date to disable Google Voice XMPP.

cj4331

MikePA

Quote from: InetUser on June 15, 2014, 12:19:41 PMIt was Obihai that said it was going to stop working on 5/15.  Google has not made any public announcement of any plans or a date to disable Google Voice XMPP.
Google's announcement has been posted multiple times on this forum. Google instructed all people, essentially just Obihai, to stop using their service in an unapproved manner. What would you do if Google told YOU that?

InetUser

The only 'announcement' from Google was a post by a Google employee (Nikhyl Singhal):

https://plus.google.com/+NikhylSinghal/posts/MjyncJEbzxK

There was no mention whatsoever of Google Voice XMPP changing.  May 15, 2014 was the date third-party application developers (such as Obihai) had to stop making unauthorized use of Google Voice:

"There are a few third-party applications that provide calling and SMS services by making unauthorized use of Google Voice. These apps violate our Terms of Service and pose a threat to your security, so we're notifying these app developers that they must stop making unauthorized use of Google Voice to run their services and transition users by May 15, 2014."

If you're aware of any announcement from Google stating that Google Voice XMPP will stop functioning on May 15, 2014 or that Google has any plans to disable it on any date, please post a link to it.

MikePA

What a surprise, you TOTALLY missed the point. Enjoy your ignorance. ::)

Taoman

Quote from: InetUser on June 15, 2014, 01:42:33 PMIf you're aware of any announcement from Google stating that Google Voice XMPP will stop functioning on May 15, 2014 or that Google has any plans to disable it on any date, please post a link to it.

Here ya go. Since it has been stated by Google that Google Voice is going to be rolled into Hangouts (which doesn't support XMPP) it would be a logical assumption that XMPP support for Google Voice would cease at some point in the future. Couple this statement with the announcement from Nikhyl Singhal and the statements from Obihai, Talkatone, and the makers of GrooVe IP and it was a reasonable assumption that XMPP support would cease after May 15th.

https://developers.google.com/talk/

Quote from: GoogleNote: We announced a new communications product, Hangouts, in May 2013. Hangouts will replace Google Talk and does not support XMPP. The information in this Developer's Guide pertains only to Google Talk.

My personal guess (and that's all it is) is that Google has not yet disabled XMPP because of the departure of Vic Gundotra as head of the entire Google+ social network. I'm betting a lot of Google+ projects are on "hold" right now because of his departure.

swh2

I never did anything on May 15 and everything is working as normal. I think the reason the "plug" did not get pulled on this was that Google was never able to roll google voice into hangouts va some no XMPP method. This was announced as the "plan" but it was never done. I thought what was going to happen was that the google voice + hangouts would be merged and working well way before May 15. That did not happen. So i think thats why things are the way they are presently. Google is very poor on timely execution and has lots of silly things they are working on (like trying to screw up "new" maps and gmail) so I think this "voice" thing got sidetracked and they just forgot about it. I wanted to wait to see what google was going to come out with as I like the desktop and phone app integration. By the way google sneaked out an update to ggogle voice app on android June 12 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.googlevoice  So why would they do that if Hangouts roll out was a few weeks or months away?

There is a google I/O conference on June 25 2014 so they may make some "announcement" (vague as usual on timing) then but quite frankly I dont see this going anywhere soon. Google may just dump the whole thing and focus on say airships or wifi on the moon. Very typical for google. Hey glad you liked the free service but now we have to dump you. Sorry. Thanks and have good day! Oh and please use google plus!! lol

nlurker

Quote from: cj4331 on June 15, 2014, 11:44:54 AM
I switched to PhonePower a few days before 5/15.  When setting up PhonePower I got rid of Google Chat.  I haven't thought much about it since.  Today I was wondering if it did indeed go away or if it's still working.  I've had trouble finding a straight answer.  Is it still working for those that chose to wait it out and see if it went away?  Any changes in the way it works?  I just used it as a POTS replacement--nothing fancy.

I've done nothing, and Obi110 continues to work with Google Voice the same as it always did.  I've noticed no change at all.