News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

2 OBi's and a wireless router

Started by Drupjohn, July 14, 2014, 06:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drupjohn

Hi there,

I think I have a unique situation that is preventing me from getting this setup properly.

I have three phone numbers and therefore two OBI302s.  I also have a wireless router for the other devices in my house.  Here's the connection that I want to do but not sure if it's possible:

Cable Modem - OBI - OBI - Router     <--  will this work?

My other option is (#2)

Cable Modem - router - OBI - OBI  <-- is this the better option?

How do I get Option 1 to work if it's the best solution (ie.  the OBI won't switch to Bridge mode) or should I just go with Option #2?

HDFLucky

Quote from: Drupjohn on July 14, 2014, 06:25:26 PM
I have three phone numbers and therefore two OBI302s. 
You don't need two OBis to support three phone numbers. A single one will do. Maybe you meant three physical phones?

Quote from: DrupjohnI also have a wireless router for the other devices in my house.  Here's the connection that I want to do but not sure if it's possible:

Cable Modem - OBI - OBI - Router     <--  will this work?

My other option is (#2)

Cable Modem - router - OBI - OBI  <-- is this the better option?

How do I get Option 1 to work if it's the best solution (ie.  the OBI won't switch to Bridge mode) or should I just go with Option #2?
Option 1 may work as long as you don't enable QOS in the OBi closest to the modem. However, I'm not sure how you would get unique ip addresses for the two boxes in a daisy-chain arrangement like that. Maybe configuring the downstream router in the first OBi, but it sounds like it would be a troubleshooting nightmare.

Ditto for option 2.

It all depends on the configuration you have in mind. Do you intend to do any internetworking between the boxes? If not, I actually think a 3rd option would be better:
                 1--- OBi
                 |
  modem - router +
                 |
                 2--- OBi

Done this way (each OBi on a separate LAN port), you would only have to configure port forwarding once (in the router) and it would apply to both OBis. If the router has QOS capability, so much the better. There are several ways of accomplishing most requirements; these boxes are very flexible.

Drupjohn

The tech at Phone Power said that it would work that way.  My existing three physical phones (and their numbers) haven't been ported yet so I don't think the Obis have service.

I hooked them to my existing router (which will be changing, it's currently a cable modem/router combined) in a daisy chain and the router gave each one their own IP addresses and they had the solid green light to reflect that they had their own IP addresses.

Does this mean that it worked, or is there a problem because I can't make an outgoing call?  It says that there's no service to make a call.   

The tech at phone power also suggested I put one of them into Bridge mode, but it just won't go into bridge mode, regardless of whether I use the voice prompts, or the web interface.