News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 Bridge mode requires explicit DNS servers

Started by Prog1, July 17, 2014, 05:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prog1

I setup a Callcentric account manually on my Obi202 using CC's instructions. It worked without an issue until I switched the Obi to Bridge mode because i didn't want to use double NAT and wanted to use my own router. Plus in bridge mode QoS is automatic.

SIP registration failed after this with message: Retrying register (server=0.0.0.0:0) on the status page. After explicitly entering Google DNS servers in the WAN configuration, registration succeeded again. This is despite the Obi picking up the DNS servers from my Uverse service in both router and bridge mode.

Seems like a bug? Obi202 versions h/w 1.4 s/w 3.0.1 (Build: 3932).

RFC3261

Quote from: Prog1 on July 17, 2014, 05:00:43 PM
.... This is despite the Obi picking up the DNS servers from my Uverse service in both router and bridge mode.

Seems like a bug? Obi202 versions h/w 1.4 s/w 3.0.1 (Build: 3932).

I run my Obi202 in bridge mode, and do not see that problem.  On your Obi202, under Router Settings/WAN, check to see if your DNS Query Order was overridden from the default that includes the DHCP offers.  Sounds like your may be set to DNS Server1/DNS Server 2 only (and does not include the DHCP Offers).  Also, your firmware is very old.  The current version is 3.0.1 Build: 4350.  Since OBi does provided detailed release firmware release notes, all you can do is try a newer version to see if it fixes the problem.

drgeoff

Quote from: RFC3261 on July 18, 2014, 02:30:06 PM
Since OBi does provided detailed release firmware release notes ...
Methinks a "not" is missing from that.  :)

RFC3261

Quote from: drgeoff on July 18, 2014, 05:15:33 PM
Quote from: RFC3261 on July 18, 2014, 02:30:06 PM
Since OBi does provided detailed release firmware release notes ...
Methinks a "not" is missing from that.  :)

Yeah, it happens.  That is clearly a *not*. 

Prog1

@RFC3261

I set DNSServer1 & 2 to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 because if I leave them at the default of nothing I get the "Retrying register (server=0.0.0.0:0)" message in the status page.

The AT&T ones are shown on the WAN status if I leave them at default (nothing) but apparently there are not working or being used by the OBi to find the callcentric servers.

I updated the firmware as you mentioned with the same result.

Prog1

@RFC3261

After more testing I think you are right the ISP (AT&T Uverse) DNS Servers are working.

However, it seems like my router is interfering somehow with the Obi202 when in bridge mode.

When I have the Obi internet port plugged into my modem and nothing plugged into the LAN port I can make phone calls and the Obi registers with callcentric.

The Obi is in bridge mode so that I can plug my router WAN port into my router, and when I do that my router is able to get another IP address from the ISP (and I can access the internet). But the Obi loses it connection and I can no longer make phone calls.

So it appeared as if the DNS servers were not working, but really I cannot have two devices connected to my ISP at the same time.

You have your device in bridge mode, so how do you connect to the internet?

RFC3261

Quote from: Prog1 on July 28, 2014, 08:20:45 PM
So it appeared as if the DNS servers were not working, but really I cannot have two devices connected to my ISP at the same time.

Unless you are paying for additional IP addresses, most ISPs only support one IP per "line".  How they accomplish that will vary.

You have your device in bridge mode, so how do you connect to the internet?

I have a somewhat complicated internal network, with multiple networks with an enterprise style router, each performing IPv4 NAT on each to the Internet (I have real, native, public, IPv6 addresses on all my devices that support IPv6).  One of those networks is my VoIP network (which also uses QoS for the VoIP network on the switches, and outgoing packets on my router).  I run the OBI202 in bridge mode mostly because there are no devices on the "LAN" side (all the VoIP phones, and the OBI202 are on the same VoIP network).  My IP phones get their boot information from my DHCP server, and point to the OBI202 for config via my DNS servers having an authoritative domain for the appropriate OBi domain (<deviceid>.pnn.obihai.com).  This is documented (a little too thinly in the version I read) in the OBI admin manual.  If this does not make any sense, I would recommend not even starting down this path, for there be dragons here, and Obi is not going to be able to help with obscure configurations like this (i.e. if you eat DHCP and DNS configs for breakfast, can configure junos in your sleep, and read standards documents for fun, go for it; for anyone else, I would recommend just following the tried and true and documented path).

Prog1

Yes, I was wondering how AT&T decide which IP I can use. It is clear now that I can get several external DHCP addresses allocated I just cannot use them simultaneously. The Obi acting as a switch fooled me into thinking they were all live.

I don't eat DNS/DHCP configs for breakfast; more like an occasional snack among all my other IT duties. But this is a home network with a single connection so I don't want too spend too much time on it.

I ended up just rewiring my setup and plugging the modem into the router WAN side (a tried and true location :) ) and keeping the Obi in bridge mode but putting it on the LAN side of the router. I also reserved some minimum bandwidth for the VOIP on the router for the OBi. Everything is working as it should now.

Thanks for the help.