News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV with OBi110 and SIP Phone

Started by tsquare2000, September 23, 2014, 09:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsquare2000

Trying to following this thread: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1103.0 or this thread
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2454.0 in configuring my OBi110 to use GV for inbound and outbound calls.

I would like to install a SIP client on my MacBook and make and receive calls on that while at home.  Taking those instructions and assuming the following:

1. GV number if needed 8885551212
2. GV is configured as SP1
3. I won't be using the phone ports
4. creating the userid as test1 and test2

What would be the modified versions of those instructions.  Also I heard that OBi may not be able to work with GV anymore, is that the case?

tsquare2000

Also assume the IP address of the OBI is 192.168.1.100

SteveInWA

Read through the recent posts on the forum, instead of posts that are two or three years old.

Google Voice is now officially supported (by both Obihai and Google) on OBi devices.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

As for making calls on your Macbook, no need for all that.  Just use Google Hangouts, which supports making and receiving telephone calls over an internet connection.

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/2944865?hl=en&ref_topic=2944848

tsquare2000

True maybe, however I feel as though the Hangouts app never either answers, or makes calls well.  Where as a softphone/SIP client generally works very well.

That and I have had my OBi110 for quite a few years now, and just looking to pull the plug on the home phones and just use a softphone.

azrobert

I have the Phonerlite softphone on a Windows machine setup to make outbound calls on my OBi. I think I had inbound calls working too. I'll have to play and see if inbound calls will work.

I'm not familiar with the Macbook. You need a SIP client that can make outbound calls without registration.

It's a very easy setup and requires a SP trunk defined as SIP and one line of code.

Post back if you can find a SIP client.

SteveInWA

Quote from: tsquare2000 on September 23, 2014, 06:29:37 PM
True maybe, however I feel as though the Hangouts app never either answers, or makes calls well.  Where as a softphone/SIP client generally works very well.

That and I have had my OBi110 for quite a few years now, and just looking to pull the plug on the home phones and just use a softphone.

If you have an OBi, why would you even want to use a softphone (at least when you are in the same building as the OBi)?  A DECT 6.0 cordless telephone plugged into your OBi, configured directly on Google Voice,  is a much better solution.

I don't know when you last used GV or Hangouts, but audio quality and overall reliability is much better now than it was in the past.

As for softphone clients, Hangouts will eventually far outperform typical SIP clients, since it has built-in support for HD audio codecs.  When calling a phone number on another carrier that supports HD audio, you'll get HD audio.

tsquare2000

So I sit on conference calls all day some days.  For example yesterday I started digging around on this because I was on a conference call for literally 9 hours.  I already have a Plantronics SAVI W720 headset that pairs with my cell and my MacBook. Therefore it is one lest device I need to keep charged and the added expense of a cordless phone doesn't really interest me (Last set broke).

As for the SIP client I have found multiple compatible SIP clients I just need to figure out how to setup my OBi110 to allow for SIP clients to receive and make calls.  In fact I think I may have an old Cisco 7931 and I think that supports SIP, but again my current office has no network or phone jacks, I don't know what they were thinking.

Thanks!

azrobert

The softphone must be able to make outbound calls WITHOUT registration.

If SP2 is not defined, setup a dummy SIP definition like this:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> ProxyServer : 127.0.0.1
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthUserName : (any userid)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_RegisterEnable : (unchecked)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_ServProvProfile : B

Do the following to setup outbound calls from the softphone to GV.
Replace your Voice Services -> SP2 Service ->  X_InboundCallRoute with:
{tsquare>(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>xxxxxxx):sp1},{ph}

aaa is your local area code for 7 digit dialing.

Do the following to route inbound calls from SP1 to the OBi110 Phone port and the softphone.
Replace your Voice Services -> SP1 Service ->  X_InboundCallRoute with:
{ph,sp2(anything@192.168.1.110:5060;ui=$1)}

192.168.1.110 is the IP address of the computer running the softphone.
This assumes the softphone uses port number 5060.
I don't know if there is a firewall on the Mackbook that will block port 5060.

Softphone credentials:
Proxy Server: 192.168.1.100:5061
UserID: tsquare

192.168.1.100 is the IP address of your OBi110

Dial 18005551212 or 5551212 on the softphone.

Edit:
Dialing an invalid number with above will ring the phone port.
Use the following to get a busy signal:
{tsquare>(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>xxxxxxx):sp1}

tsquare2000

are you assuming "tsquare" is the userid in the strings?

azrobert

You can use anything as the UserID.

The UserID setting in the softphone must match the X_InboundCallRoute.

tsquare2000

azrobert

tsquare2000

So it looks like I can place a call, however I don't hear audio either way?

azrobert

In your router port forward RTP Ports 16600 thru 16998 to the IP address of the OBi110.
These can be found here: Service Provider - ITSP Profile X -> RTP -> LocalPortMin/Max

Port forward the RTP ports for your softphone to the IP address your computer.

If the above doesn't work then port forward 5061 and the softphone listening port.

If that doesn't work change
Service Provider - ITSP Profile B -> SIP -> X_DiscoverPublicAddress: unchecked

The last fix is required when 2 OBi's talk to each other. I don't need it for a softphone. Can't hurt to try.

Ports 16600 thru 16998 is 399 ports. I helped someone that port forwarded 2 ports. The first and last.