News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Locally generated ring tone at start of call

Started by theboy, October 12, 2014, 09:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theboy

2nd post, this is the other problem I'm having with the OBi110 that I'm purely using as an FXO and FXS port to my Asterisk.

When using the FXO port through Asterisk, when the call initially starts, I seem to one burst of what sounds like locally generated ringtone, before going on to the Telco's ring tone.  This is a bit of an issue as some numbers hear in the UK connect immediately and start playing messages, and I miss the first 2 seconds - for example, 1471 plays the number of last caller, but due to the locally generated ring burst, I miss the first 3 digits.  As this doesn't happen with the Cisco SPA3102 device the OBi is replacing, I'm guessing this is an OBi setting, not Asterisk?

WelshPaul

Are you using the UK XML configuration file? Or is the OBi device running on it's default tone values?
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

theboy

I used the UK localisation XML file from the downloads page.

Its just annoying that you get this 2 secs of locally generated ring tone before it connects you, so you miss that first second or so of any automated service you call.

ianobi

Quoteone burst of what sounds like locally generated ringtone

That's exactly what you are hearing. It's a sort of confidence tone to reassure the user that the call is being connected. It is a function of this setting:

Line Port > Line Port > DetectOutboundConnectMethod: Assume connected after a short delay

Changing to this setting should remove the local ring tone:

Line Port > Line Port > DetectOutboundConnectMethod: None

theboy

ianobi - perfect, that's removed that annoyance!

Thank you very, very much  :)

ProfTech

FWIW, the setting for locally generated ringing has been removed in build 2872. Listening to it sounds like it is permanently set to "none". Have been looking around to see if I can find anything else that has been "polished" but I don't have another [older] 1xx box to compare to. But 2872 seems to be working good. Haven't found any obvious holes. Haven't tried Google Voice. I may set up a 100 for a relative in a week or two who will probably use Google Voice.

theboy

How can I tell what build I'm on.

If its working, is it still recommended to upgrade to latest?

theboy

Doh! Couldn't see wood for trees!

1.3.0 (Build: 2815M)

The upgrade query still stands though

ProfTech

The "M" indicates a patched version that Obi put out to fix a specific issue. I think the latest version listed on the Obitalk web page for "general consumption" is 2824. However, some nice person listed a link for the latest 2872 version which is fully supported if you are using Google Voice, and as I said may include other unknown fixes [Obi hasn't documented anything]. Whether or not to upgrade is a 64 thousand dollar question. I used 2824 for a long time and it worked well. * Warning * If you upgrade to 2872 you probably should not do it through the Obitalk portal. Numerous people have reported that it bricked their Obi. I updated my 110 directly through the admin screens and it completed in less than 60 seconds with zero issues. Good Luck

*Edited* Found the post by Taoman. It still works.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8482.msg56152#msg56152