News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 - 2 Line Phone & Fax Machine - Have SP1 ring on both line of the phone?

Started by telecomm, November 02, 2014, 05:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

telecomm

Hello -
I have an Obi202 using Phone 1 and 2 ports on the back.  Phone 1 goes to a 2 line cordless phone and phone 2 goes to a fax machine.  When I put a phone cable that can handle 2 lines from Phone 1 on the Obi to the 2 line cordless phone, the fax number assigned to Phone 2 port on the Obi was ringing on line 2 of the 2 line cordless phone.  I use CC and have two phone numbers.
I would like to get my 2 line phone to use both lines with one SP while plugged into Phone 1 on the Obi and then have Phone 2 be only for the fax line.

At the other office I achieve this easily with 2 separate Obi 202 but at this location I am trying to do it with one Obi202.

Thanks.

SteveInWA

It's working as designed.

The phone 1 jack on the back of the OBi 202 is wired as a RJ-14 jack, with line 1 on the center two pins, and line 2 on the outer two pins.

The phone 2 jack is wired as a RJ-11 jack, with line 2 on the center two pins.

So, by design, if you use a 4-wire phone cord, plugged into a 2-line analog phone, it's going to use both line 1 and line 2 presented to it.  In your case, you configured your OBi with line 2 as your fax number.

So, I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish -- do you have a total of 3 service provider lines configured (two voice, and one fax)?  

The OBi only has 2 physical telephone line ports, so you'd need to decide which one to use for fax.  After that, there's several ways to solve the puzzle, by using distinctive ring on the fax, or by using a two-wire cord and a 1-->2 line RJ-11 splitter adapter, and plug two identical line 1/SP1 cords into the two lines of the 2-line phone, and then dedicate the Line 2 jack on the OBi to the fax.

OBi Line1-->RJ-11 adapter jack (there are two kinds:  use the kind that duplicates the wiring on BOTH female jacks, and not the L1/L2 splitter kind)-->two cords to analog phone

OBi Line2-->RJ-11 2-wire cord to fax

You can use up to 4 SPs (plus voice gateways) on one physical wire pair, and all will ring on that line, and all can be dialed by prefixing with **1, **2, **3, or **4.

telecomm

Thanks Steve!  I have two SP lines (one voice, one fax), both on CC.  I plan to use Phone 1 physical line for CC Voice, and 2 for Fax.  From line 1 it will go into the 2 line cordless phone.  With CC 3 channels, I wanted to be able to use both lines on the phone to both access the same SP voice.  No call waiting, either, so it will ring on line 2 if line 1 is in use.  This of course is all for the same phone number (one you helped me port months ago with your great coaching).
I think the way to go as you mention is the two-wire cord and a 1--->2 Line GJ-11 splitter adapter and then use Line 2 for the fax.  Thanks for the tip on which kind to get.
I suppose with this function I would want to turn call waiting off on SP1 since the effect I would like is to have line 2 ring on the cordless if line 1 is in use in case someone else needs to take the call so they can pick up an extension.  I suppose since there are 3 channels, perhaps there is a way to have it roll to call waiting only if line 1 and 2 of the cordless are both in use, and have call waiting kick in on line 2.  Or, just have it go to voicemail.
Thanks again.

SteveInWA

Now that I see your reply, with your desired use case, and I think about it further, my suggestion about the phone cords is useless; sorry.

Since it's the same analog signal being fed into both lines of the two-line phone, if the line being output from the OBi is in use, it will simply be off hook with the same conversation on both lines.  You can't turn an analog two line phone into two different telephone service lines using one wire pair.  You will never be able to ring one of the two lines on the cordless phone while the one and only circuit is in use on the other line on the phone.

You either need another OBi box, or you need to route your fax DID to Callcentric's fax server instead of to your OBi for inbound calls.  Or, you need a true digital IP phone system that can handle multiple SIP registrations.

Using only your one OBi 202:

You could set up two different extensions on your CC account, and set up a CC Call Treatment to have one of your two DIDs hunt to both extensions.  You'd then define each extension as a service provider slot on your OBi (SP1 = CC ext 100 --> OBi Line 1 jack, and SP2 = CC ext 101 -->OBi Line 2 jack, for example).  You'd then plug a 4-wire cord from the Line 1 jack on the OBi to the 2-line phone.  Each line on the phone would work independently.

The fax DID would have to go somewhere else; either to CC's fax mailbox server, or to another OBi dedicated to the fax machine.  If you want to use CC's fax mailbox for inbound faxes, you could still use your primary CC DID number for outbound faxes; just tell the fax machine to never auto-answer, and wire it to the same phone line jack as one of the two extensions you have provisioned to the OBi.

All this said, I will bet that one of the regulars here on the forum will come up with some other bright idea.

azrobert

You don't need another OBi202 to solve your problem.
You can do it with a $30 investment in an OBi100 at Newegg.
$8 discount with promo code EMCWPGW227 until Nov 6th.

SteveInWA

Quote from: azrobert on November 02, 2014, 09:09:41 PM

Ha ha -- note that I never said he had to buy a 202.  Thanks for the link to the sale on the 100's; that is a good deal.

You know, I can't win on this forum:  if I suggest that someone actually pay any amount of money to solve a problem, the "I want it all for free" crowd trashes me.  So, I will savor the fact that you suggested a non-free solution!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

telecomm

Thanks!  What about the T.38 Fax capabilities of the 202?  Does that play a factor here when using a fax machine connected to a 202 vs a 100? I do use a line from CC for Fax, and they do claim that "Technically we support fax using either the T.38 protocol or transparently with G.711. However, both largely depend on the reliability/stability of your internet connection. An internet connection with regular packet loss, high latency (ping) to our servers, and/or jitter (large variations in the latency) will cause problems for faxing."

So, I am just wondering if I would be better off staying with the 202 for fax reliability purposes.  We use it at another office (CC and 202 for Fax on UVerse) and it works.

azrobert

I didn't have a problem using an OBi110 for my FAX, but I only use a FAX a few times a year. If you're worried you can use one phone port on the OBi202 for FAX and the other port plus the OBi100 for the 2 line phone. You might need a splitter like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/L1-L2-L1-L2-multi-2-line-cord-wire-cable-Phone-Telephone-number-Splitter-Adapter-/301378003962?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item462b8763fa

Plug the 2 line phone into L1+L2
Using 2 wire cords plug the other OBi202 port into L1 and OBi100 into L2.

OR

Buy an OBi200 for about $49.

azrobert

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 02, 2014, 10:18:47 PM
Quote from: azrobert on November 02, 2014, 09:09:41 PM

Ha ha -- note that I never said he had to buy a 202.  Thanks for the link to the sale on the 100's; that is a good deal.

You know, I can't win on this forum:  if I suggest that someone actually pay any amount of money to solve a problem, the "I want it all for free" crowd trashes me.  So, I will savor the fact that you suggested a non-free solution!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

I didn't see a FREE solution without giving up functionality.

If there is a FREE solution why not use it?

Said by SteveInWash:
QuoteCC outbound calls to toll free numbers are billed at $0.0088/minute.

I'm curious. Are you using my FREE CC NoMoRobo suggestion?

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8799.msg58521#msg58521

SteveInWA

I don't have a problem at all with free solutions.  Everybody loves "free".  The problem is, too many people (not you!) are so obsessed with "free, no matter what" that they don't objectively look at what they're getting for that price.

My own personal preference is to find the best balance of cost, function and simplicity of implementation and use.

Dranon2

I am glad I read this post! I NEVER knew that that the 1st physical line on the obi 202 had BOTH ph1 and ph2 going to it!  Correct me if Im wrong but IF you put the same GV number on both ph1 and ph2 will it act like hunting? IOW if line 1 is busy will it ring line 2 instead of going to VM?

SteveInWA

Quote from: Dranon2 on November 04, 2014, 10:42:40 AM
I am glad I read this post! I NEVER knew that that the 1st physical line on the obi 202 had BOTH ph1 and ph2 going to it!  Correct me if Im wrong but IF you put the same GV number on both ph1 and ph2 will it act like hunting? IOW if line 1 is busy will it ring line 2 instead of going to VM?

It won't act like true phone company or PBX call hunting (intelligently try each extension in the hunt group until one picks up).

I haven't tried it personally (somebody else posted about it recently, though), but yes, if, and only if, you have a OBi 20x series, not 10x series device, you can configure multiple SP slots for the same GV account.  GV will just ring each of them when a call comes in.  If you're already on a call, I am not sure exactly how it will behave.  It may generate a call-waiting signal on the off-hook line, and/or ring the other line.  This isn't officially supported by Google, so it's not documented.  You can just try it and see (and then create a new thread to discuss it if you wish, since it is veering off-topic).

If you really need a classic hunt group solution, then using a quality SIP ITSP like Callcentric is a better solution.  Its call treatments feature allows you to set up either simultaneous ringing or hunt groups.

azrobert

This is what I tried.
I have the same GV account defined on an OBi200 and an OBi1032.
While I had a call in session with GV on the OBi200 I called the GV number again and the OBi1032 rang.
If neither phone has an active call, both phones will ring at the same time.

I think you have a misunderstanding of the phone wiring.
The phone port has 4 wires.
On Phone port#1 the inner pair is PH1 and the outer pair is PH2.
Most phones only use the inner pair and ignore the outer.
You need a 2 line phone to be able to utilize the outer pair.

The OBi can route an inbound call to a max of 4 devices.
Change the inbound route to ph1,ph2
This should work the same as have 2 SP's defined with the same GV#.

The OBi can ring 1 device immediately and the 2nd with a delay like this:
ph1,SP4(100@192.168.1.110:5061;d=5)
d=5 is a 5 second delay
PH1 will ring immediately and extn 100 will ring after a 5 second delay.

The delay does NOT work routing to a phone port like this: ph2;d=5

Did you get your IP Phones to work?

BigJim_McD

Dranon2, In regards to your "Posts: 26".

Quote from: Dranon2 on November 04, 2014, 10:42:40 AM
... .. ... ... IF you put the same GV number on both ph1 and ph2 will it act like hunting? IOW if line 1 is busy will it ring line 2 instead of going to VM?

I used OBiTalk to configure my OBi202 that is connected to a 2-Line Phone.
1)  Calls to "SP1, SP2 or SP3" Ring PHONE1 if idle. 
2)  If PHONE1 is Busy, then Calls "Call Forward Busy" to PHONE2.
3)  Calls to "SP4" Ring PHONE2 if idle.
4)  If PHONE2 is Busy, then Calls "Call Forward Busy" to PHONE1.

Device Configuration - OBi202 Main - GglV,VestaLink, viop.ms
SP1    Home1 ph1,2 sp1 VestaLink      Registered
SP2    Home# ph1,2 sp2 GglVoice       Connected
SP3    Home2 ph1,2 sp3 voip.ms         Registered
SP4    vOFc Ph2 sp4 x1024 voip.ms     Registered

Phone Port Configuration Summary
Phone 1   Phone 2
Primary Line OGT Calls Route to:    SP2          SP2
Phone Rings on INC Calls from:    SP1,SP2,SP3   SP4
Voicemail Notification Alert from:    SP1          SP1,SP3,SP4
Emergency Service Call Routes to:    SP1          SP1

Then, updated the Configuration using Expert Mode:

SP1, SP2 & SP3  -  Calling Features   
CallForwardOnBusyEnable  <Checked>   Default <Unchecked>
CallForwardOnBusyNumber   ph2(#)

SP4  -  Calling Features   
CallForwardOnBusyEnable  <Checked>   Default <Unchecked>
CallForwardOnBusyNumber   ph1(#)

Physical Interfaces PHONE1 Port  <>  Calling Features
CallWaitingEnable    <Unchecked>    Default <Unchecked>

Physical Interfaces PHONE2 Port  <>  Calling Features
CallWaitingEnable    <Unchecked>    Default <Unchecked>

BigJimMcD

SteveInWA

Quote from: azrobert on November 04, 2014, 01:22:42 PM
This is what I tried.
I have the same GV account defined on an OBi200 and an OBi1032.
While I had a call in session with GV on the OBi200 I called the GV number again and the OBi1032 rang.
If neither phone has an active call, both phones will ring at the same time.

Right; this is because the OBi 2xx series (and the 1032, which is built on the 2xx platform) support multiple connections to Google Chat, whereas the OBi 1xx series do not. (the X_GTalkSimultaneousRing feature)

However, if the DID to which the GV number is being forwarded supports call-waiting, then GV will utilize that feature, and so the DID will receive a call-waiting signal when it's already on a call.  So, this is not the same as true PBX call-hunting, but if it's sufficient to meet the requirements, then great.

I think you have a misunderstanding of the phone wiring.
The phone port has 4 wires.
On Phone port#1 the inner pair is PH1 and the outer pair is PH2.
Most phones only use the inner pair and ignore the outer.
You need a 2 line phone to be able to utilize the outer pair.

I assume you were thinking Dranon2 had the misunderstanding; I described the RJ-11 vs. RJ-14 phone jack wiring in my first reply, and how they relate to an OBi 202 and a 2-line phone.