News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

UK PSTN caller-id not passed by Obi110

Started by DeanUK, November 07, 2014, 07:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeanUK

Hi Folks,

I am setting up my new Obi110 with a phone/internet service from TalkTalk in the UK (line port) and a standard PSTN phone which has a caller-id display (phone port).

When I connect the PSTN phone directly to the wall socket (i.e. no Obi110 in the path) the phone displays caller-id correctly - I have the caller-id feature enabled on my phone account.
Using the Obi110, I cannot obtain caller-id on the phone display.

I have spent a long time trying various combinations of parameters in the Obi110 but nothing makes the caller-id appear. I'm using:
Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > Port Settings > CallerIDMethod = FSK(V.23)
Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > Port Settings > CallerIDTrigger =After Polarity Reversal
Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > Port Settings > CallerIDDetectMethod = FSK(V.23)
Together with other recommended settings for UK PSTN as per the latest xml file (v2.4 9 Oct 2014) here: https://www.ukvoipforums.com//viewtopic.php?f=25&t=342

Looking at Status->Phone and Line Status
Shows the following for an incoming call from a UK mobile number beginning with 07761 (I have anonymised the last 6 digits with xxxxxx).
Parameter Name   Phone Port Status Line Port Status

State             On Hook              On Hook
LoopCurrent   0 mA                   0 mA   
VBAT                   57 V (12.0 V)
TipRingVoltage   49 V                    51 V
LastCallerInfo   '' 07761xxxxxx      '' 07761xxxxxx   

Looking at Status->Call History
Shows the same number but without the apostrophe (") followed by a space character ( ).
Call 1   11/07/2014    04:35:54   
Terminal ID   LINE1      PHONE1
Peer Name      
Peer Number   07761xxxxxx   
Direction   Inbound   Inbound
04:35:54   Ringing   
04:36:08   End Call   

What I am thinking is maybe the Obi110 is passing " 07761xxxxxx to the PSTN phone rather than 07761xxxxxx (i.e. without the " followed by space character) and that this is confusing the PSTN phone which might expect to see a number only. Can anyone confirm whether this is the case and if so, what is needed to remove the (" followed by space), perhaps an inbound call route modification, before passing the caller-id to the phone?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Dean.
Suffolk, UK.

azrobert

Try Line inbound route:
{(<" :>xx.):ph}

If it works then use following in case a call doesn't have the quote+space:
{(<" :>xx.):ph},{ph}

DeanUK

azrobert,

Thanks for your suggestion - I just tried it, entered

LINE port->InboundCallRoute-> {(<" :>xx.):ph}

and dialled in using the same 07761xxxxxx mobile number - but the results are the same, still get (" ) under last caller info, maybe this is how it should be, I don't know, but the called-id is still not appearing on the PSTN phone.

Regards,
Dean.

azrobert

If the phone connected to the OBi110 rang then the prefix was removed. If (<" :>xx.) didn't match the callerid the phone wouldn't ring. Maybe there is another problem.

DeanUK

After adding the config:

The phone connected to the OBi110 does indeed still ring out.

I can make and receive PSTN calls, and make outgoing calls using a VoIP service provider. The voice quality using VoIP is very good - just this issue with caller-id that's the problem.

I've tried altering the LINE port->RingDelay from 0 to 400 to 4000
and CPCTimeThreshold up from 90 to 500
and LINE port->Ring Detection parameters at both defaults and those in the UK XML file v2.4

One thing i've noticed is that in the Call History log, when I make an outbound call the dialled number appears under both the LINE1 and PHONE1 columns. When I make an inbound call the Peer Number only is shown under LINE1, and the PHONE1 column is blank.

I'm using the correct US/UK converter leads to connect the OBi110 to the BT wall socket and to connect to the UK  PSTN phone, but nothing i've tried so far will lead to caller-id being displayed. The OBi110 hardware version is 3.4 and software version is 1.3.0 build 2824.

drgeoff

My OBi110 is on a BT PSTN line and Caller ID work perfectly to my phone (Gigaset S445).  Settings are as yours for FSK(V.23) but CallerIDTrigger is "Before first ring".  RingDelay is set to 250 (milliseconds).

ianobi

I don't think that you have any problem with your original UK default Line Port settings. Your OBi is correctly decoding the CallerID. This is what is being received on your Line Port:

' followed by another ' followed by a space, followed by CallerID.

Between the first ' and second ' is the place holder for CName. CName is often missing so the first and second ' appear together as there is nothing to put in between.

LastCallerInfo is reporting the whole string - CName space CallerID. In Call History Peer Number is accurately showing CallerID as decoded by the OBi110. If CName was present, then it would appear under Peer Name in Call History.

The question here is why your OBi110 is not forwarding CallerID to the Phone Port in the correct format for your phone. I suggest trying:

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > Port Settings > CallerIDTrigger = Before First Ring

I hope that helps narrow the problem down somewhat.

(Posted before I saw drgeoff's post!)

DeanUK

Drgeoff and Ianobi, I have now tested your suggested settings:

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > Port Settings > CallerIDTrigger = Before First Ring

With ring delay set to 250 ms but unfortunately still no caller-id appearing on the phone.  I've now tested using:

CallerIDTrigger = Before First Ring
CallerIDTrigger = After First Ring (which is the setting used in the UK XML file v2.4)
CallerIDTrigger = After Polarity Reversal (which is a frequently mentioned setting for UK caller-id).

With each of these settings the phone always rings out, but no caller-id shown. I've also found an old BT Caller Display 50 device that I've inserted in series with the phone, and repeated the three trigger types above, but same result – no caller-id on either BT unit or phone. Perhaps I have a fault on the  Obi?

Ianobi – thanks for the explanation about cname, makes sense.

azrobert

This is the suggestion I gave you:

The quote in the rule is a single double quote. ianobi's explanation indicates this should be 2 single quotes, so I don't understand how the phone would ring using the above rule.

Do you configure the OBi110 locally or thru OBiTalk?

drgeoff

Quote from: DeanUK on November 07, 2014, 10:13:53 AM
One thing i've noticed is that in the Call History log, when I make an outbound call the dialled number appears under both the LINE1 and PHONE1 columns. When I make an inbound call the Peer Number only is shown under LINE1, and the PHONE1 column is blank.
Those observations are normal.  Nothing amiss.

ianobi

@ azrobert
QuoteThe quote in the rule is a single double quote. ianobi's explanation indicates this should be 2 single quotes, so I don't understand how the phone would ring using the above rule.

I wondered the same thing, so I did a couple of tests. My landline does not have CallerID enabled, so I modified your rule to:
LINE port->InboundCallRoute-> {(<" :>):ph}
I tried a double inverted comma followed by space and two single inverted commas followed by space. In both cases my phone rang with no problem. I'm guessing that the OBi simply does not recognise or decode the " in a digitmap and ignores the space, so it sees both as nothing on the left of the colon and replaces it with nothing on the right side of the colon.

Further testing shows that this rule:
LINE port->InboundCallRoute-> {<" :>:ph}
Does indeed stop the phone ringing. Now the " is not in a digitmap and the OBi does seem to try to match it as a "literal". I'm guessing the rule for the OP to try would be:
LINE port->InboundCallRoute-> {<" :>(xx.):ph}
Using both a double inverted comma followed by space and then trying two single inverted commas followed by space.

Having said all that, I can't be sure if the " is coming in via the PSTN line or is being added by the OBi to try to clarify what it shows as LastCallerInfo.

It's beer o'clock here, so too late for further research, but looking forward to comments from anyone who has stayed awake this far   :)

drgeoff

Quote from: DeanUK on November 08, 2014, 06:16:46 AM
CallerIDTrigger = After First Ring (which is the setting used in the UK XML file v2.4)
That is incorrect.  The UK XML file should be updated to properly reflect SIN227.  (http://www.sinet.bt.com/sinet/SINs/pdf/227v3p6.pdf)

The UK 'full' setting should be 'after polarity reversal and before first ring' but the Obi does not offer that.

drgeoff

@DeanUK
Try rebooting the phone.  And if DECT, the base-station too.  Ie mains plug out and batteries out.

DeanUK

I've done all config up to this point using the Obi110 locally (192.168.1.3), with the settings on Auto Provisioning set to "Disable", even though the device had previously been registed to the ObiTalk portal, though reset to factory defaults many times since then. I have always rebooted the Obi110 after making any changes to parameters. The phone is a very basic POTs/PSTN phone (not DECT) with no power supply, just one lead to the Obi110. The BT Caller display unit which has one lead to the phone and one lead to the Ob110 – no power except batteries.

After my last post I rebooted the Obi110, loaded the UK V2.4 XML file, and then decided to use the ObiTalk portal to configure service for Localphone and for Google Voice, which prompted a firmware upgrade to build 2872. I hoped this  2872 might resolve the issue but still no caller-id.

Now looking at the ObiTalk Obi Expert Config pages, it says Phone port -> CallerIDMethod  FSK(Bell 202), but when I look at settings locally on webpage at 192.168.1.3 it says Phone port -> CallerIDMethod FSK (V.23). Highly confusing – I thought they would at least be in sync. Assuming the local settings are correct, I then tried incoming calls using:

a)   double apostrophe followed by space char
LINE port -> InboundCallRoute-> {<" :>(xx.):ph}    result - no ringing of phone

b)   two single apostrophes followed by space char
LINE port -> InboundCallRoute-> {<'' :>(xx.):ph}    result  - no ringing of phone

azrobert

This is the way I got it to work:
{(<[^0-9][^0-9]@:>xx.):ph}

I couldn't get it to match a single quote or a space.
[^0-9] will match anything except a digit.
@ will match anything.

You should use:
{(<[^0-9][^0-9]@:>xx.):ph},{ph}

DeanUK

I just tried

{(<[^0-9][^0-9]@:>xx.):ph},{ph}

using both After Polarity Reversal and then Before First Ring, but neither of these worked. The phone rang but no caller-id. I plugged phone + BT Caller Display 50 unit directly into wall socket, made an incoming call, and both show caller-id perfectly. I'm beginning to think I will just have to use the Caller Display 50 unit connected directly to a wall doubler socket and abandon the caller display on the phone, but it's not ideal.

WelshPaul

Have a read here and see if anything in that thread helps: https://www.ukvoipforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=310

Are you using one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT431A-RJ11-telecom-test-adaptor/dp/B000Q8L33E/ref=pd_sim_ce_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1MRBDTPQ40XT7F6FHMDW

Given that absolutely nothing has worked for you so far I would say that your device is possibly faulty.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com

ianobi

Dean,

Let's try to use a CallerID that's not originating from the PSTN line.

I see from Reply #4 that you have a voip provider. Is it for outgoing calls only? If not, then try an incoming call and see how CallerID is handled by the Phone Port.

If this is not possible you might try downloading the softphone "PhonerLite" to your pc. It's free and useful for testing. Leave all boxes blank under its "Server" tab. Under the "User" tab enter values for "User name" and "Displayed name". User name is CallerID so use numbers e.g. 12345678910. Displayed name is CName so use something like deanphone.

Make a call from PhonerLite by entering something like this in the "Destination number" box:
1@192.168.1.22:5060
Where "1" can be any digit. 192.168.1.22 is the local ip address of your OBi. 5060 is the UserAgentPort of the spX where you have your existing voip provider.
Hit the green phone icon. This should ring the phone attached to your OBi. Look in the usual places for CallerID: the phone, Call History, LastNumberInfo.

I would start the testing with the following settings:

The Line Port is not involved in the above tests, so it should eliminate some possibilities.

DeanUK

Ianobi – thanks for advice on PhonerLite (I can see this being useful for other tests on call forwarding in the future, avoiding the TalkTalk 1571 voicemail which cuts in after about 6 rings).

I initially tried PhonerLite dialling out on port 5060, which matched one of the ports in the SP1 service parameters, but after some confusion with the phone not ringing out I realised that in my config port 5060 is being used for X_KeepAliveServerPort, but the X_UserAgentPort  is 5080. When I altered to call 1@192.168.1.3:5080 the phone rang out!

There is still no caller-id displayed on the phone, the call history lists 07761xxxxxx as before but with this time the peer name reading deanphone. The LastCallerInfo under Phone and Line Port Status shows 'deanphone' 07761xxxxxx. Under Phone port ->Calling Features ->LastCallerNumber it shows **107761xxxxxx, that's because I'm using PSTN as default outbound path presently, so need to dial **1 to go via Localphone. Tried it with Before First Ring and AfterPolarityReversal with same results – no caller-id. After reading another post about it working on one socket and not another, I removed a 5 metre extension cable which looked a bit thin and used a shorter, thicker cable instead – same result.

As for as I know my Localphone account should be able to receive incoming calls, but when I tested this out using free accounts from sipgate.co.uk and callcentric.com, for some reason the Sip calls were not getting through, either to my PSTN phone off the Obi, or to a softphone registered with Localphone. This is strange as test calls I made back in May from Sipgate to Localphone (and Localphone to Sipgate) using softphones were working then.

WelshPaul – the two cables that I bought off Amazon to get the Obi110 to work in the UK are:

1)   4 wire BT plug to RJ45 crossover telephone cable 3m http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J9VXDX2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

2)   RJ11 to BTS adapter http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000Q4X9PS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 (I went for this one as it has a ringing capacitor – no problems there, maybe I should have bought one with a caller-id capacitor in as well ! :) But seriously I would buy a different adapter if that would fix it.

I also bought the Obi110 off Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004XJCBGU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Did you see the earlier comment (Reply#11) about the XML file should be updated...I would also add that it would be useful to change:

Physical Interfaces->Line Port->PSTN Disconnect Detection->DetectFarEndLongSilence
to unticked.

I found this out when several calls were mysteriously cut off in the middle of a conversation...
It's very useful to have the UK XML file, would be good if Obihai could somehow combine this with the ObiTalk network based provisioning system. E.g. select
A. region (UK)
B. VoIP provider
– then all set up correctly!

Thanks for all the support on this forum, you are really helping.

WelshPaul

Quote from: DeanUK on November 09, 2014, 10:24:26 AMDid you see the earlier comment (Reply#11) about the XML file should be updated...
I did see the earlier post and will look into this, sadly 'before first ring' isn't available in the OBi as pointed out so nothing I can do about that for now. Will drop Mark an email tomorrow about this.

Quote from: DeanUK on November 09, 2014, 10:24:26 AMIt's very useful to have the UK XML file, would be good if Obihai could somehow combine this with the ObiTalk network based provisioning system. E.g. select
A. region (UK)
B. VoIP provider
– then all set up correctly!
As for the OBiTALK portal supporting UK settings... This was the plan however I am not sure where OBIHAI are with this to date.
For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com