News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Chat Status always Away or "Voice Only"

Started by props, May 18, 2011, 12:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

props

Anyway to add the ability in the firmware to change what the obi device sets for a google chat status, or chat status message?

Currently it always defaults your chat status to Away, and if it is the only device logged into your google account, it sets the status message as "Voice Only", but any IMs sent, go to the obi device and arent received or logged anywhere that I know of.

It would be nice to be able to set the status to Available, or if possible not have the obi device involved with google chat since you can use other apps/devices for IM.

Here's another thread on this issue:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=364.0

Thanks.

jimates

Can't comment on the status situation, but the Obi has to be involved in chat because that is the part of gmail that it uses for communication. It signs into your google account as your gmail and uses the chat feature (which has voice capabilities).

I would think "voice only" would be the logical setting, since the Obi signs into your google account when you aren't really there, but is capable of receiving voice.

props

Thanks for responding!

I understand your points. It would still be nice to be able to change the Obi chat status from always being Away to Available, since I am in fact available and logged into my google chat via other IM clients.

Also, I don't think my other chat contacts realize that "Voice Only" means I have an Obi device and that I won't receive any of their IMs because just the Obi device is connected. So if there is someway to either a) set a custom chat status message such as "messages wont be received at this time" in place of "Voice Only" or b) have an option to log my google chat messages when Obi is the only device connected, or forward them to email etc.. so I don't miss any IMs during the "Voice Only" period.

If someone has any other suggestions or workarounds, other than using separate google accounts, I'd appreciate any input!

thanks.

QBZappy

props,

Hi, I'm looking at GChat. I see that you can setup a custom message. Next to the "Set status here" there is a pick list with an option to setup a custom message. You may have to log into you Gmail acct to manually change the status to whatever you want. It may be a PITA to have to manually change that every time. I think that might work. I have not tested it.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

props

Yes, I've tried this, but the Obi device Away status with no message seems to take precedence whenever it is connected to the internet.

Not sure if there is some gchat setting to change this, or if others are not experiencing this behavior...

QBZappy

props,

Hi,
No, you are not the only one. You may check other threads in the forum and ask directly others who posted, with a similar issue, if they were able to find a solution to this. Good Luck.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

QBZappy

Here are two interesting threads kind of related to the subject of the OP. It shows how someone with a similar issue with Asterisk+GV , and another with Pidgin IM showing the on line status he wanted to control. It may give the Obi people some idea on how to control the on line status of the OBi+GV.

Asterisk hack: make your Google Talk client invisible
http://www.personal.psu.edu/wcs131/blogs/psuvoip/2011/01/asterisk_hack_make_your_google.html

Google Talk invisible mode in Pidgin (Above mentioned post makes reference to this link) 
http://chinmaykamat.wordpress.com/2010/01/22/google-talk-invisible-mode-in-pidgin/

Partial quote :

"Quick background: Google wrote a variety of XMPP extensions to make Google Talk do voice and a bunch of other non-standard XMPP things. One of those things is what Google calls "shared statuses," which also includes invisible mode--the ability to be online but set your client as invisible so that others can't see you, but could chat with you.

You might want to use this feature if, like me, your Google Voice number is attached to your main GMail account. I don't use the chat features but I appear online to anyone who has me in their contact list, as long as Asterisk is logged in, and that has the potential to draw unwanted instant messages (that will never get answered)."

props

Interesting reads, thanks. I'm guessing the Obi needs to support the google talk shared status feature:

<feature var='google:shared-status'/>

and/or some ability to send out manual XMPP xml code?

tylercal

It will not be enough to just be invisible. Google supports sending "offline chats". So if you really are offline, you get an email with the contents of the offline chat. If you are just invisible however, the "offline chat" will get delivered to the Obihai device.

If there is no way to stop the Obihai device from eating the chat messages, first priority should be delivering the missed chats as emails or text messages.

I have just now found a heap of chats that I've missed while my status is "Voice Only"

props

Any updates to this possible feature/fix? Anyone have any workarounds?

Ive enabled chat logging in gmail so i can periodically check in case I miss any IMs, even though I might not find out immediately. Also, it is quite annoying to always have my global gtalk status set to Away, when I am in fact available.

tylercal

Not really a work-around, but what I've done to find missed chats is do a search for "in:chats -me" in gmail. This should show all chat's you've gotten but never responded to.

JoeObi

Any updates on this? I am not entirely sure based on the posts in this thread if it is technically possible for Obi to implement invisibility and they just haven't yet; it's also been over a year so I don't know if any of those limitations are still the state of the Google service.

The reason this has come to my attention is because newer versions of Android will automatically display Google Talk status in the Contacts list, and seeing "Voice Only" under my name has caused some confusion for people who have my email associated with my phone number.

There are a few ways to fix this (I'm not entirely sure how permanent they are), such as signing in to my Google Talk account in gmail and setting my status to available (or custom). I also think that the confusion stems on my contacts' end when they don't use the Google Talk app (it may be installed by default and not everyone goes and disables it), and it's just quietly sending info to their contacts list.

But of course, the best fix would be if I could just be invisible and not be broadcasting any potentially confusing information to whatever program might pick it up and display it. Because I don't use Google Talk for anything but allowing my Obi to receive calls, "available" or "[custom message]" isn't quite true; invisible is exactly what I want to be.

aberson

I've had the obi with this issue for a LONG time and never realized the obi was the culprit for why I wasn't really "invisible" and why people chatted me so often even when I thought I was  invisible, until today: 

I just set up my wife's GV# on SP2 on the Obi and she instantly saw the warning about not being invisible anymore.  This makes the Obi no longer pass the wife acceptance test...

Would love to see some updates to this issue.  The Asterisk hack mentioned looks like a good start...

bryak

I am in the same boat as everyone else.  I didn't realize my Obi was doing this until my girlfriend got one

Admittedly 'Invisible' isn't the perfect solution, but it is definitely better than people messaging me thinking that i will see it next time i look at my computer.  'Voice Only' doesn't mean anything to the average computer use.  Perhaps 'Invisible' and forwarding the messages the Obi receives as emails?  I hope a firmware fix gets this, because i don't know that I will be vouching as heavily for the Obi/Google Voice combo until a fix comes along.

RFord

Isn't there a very simple solution to all of this?  Create a new gmail account and transfer your existing GV number to this new gmail account.  That way your "old" Gmail account is no longer associated with your GV Number.  That is why it is always recommended that a separate Gmail account is set up solely for the OBi ATA to avoid these type of conflicts.

aberson

Having GV as part of your main gmail account has advantages of already being signed in to voice, etc.  Not insurmountable, but certainly seems annoying to have to make a separate GV account.

Not a solution, but perhaps at least to help from missing chats that you received when you weren't really online, I built a bit upon tylercal's idea:

1. I created a label called "orphanChat"

2. I used gmail's multiple inbox feature to show me the results of this search right below my inbox: 
in:chats -me -in:orphanChat.  This shows all new chats which I never responded to.

3. In order to remove chats from showing there, I either need to reply to them, or label them as "orphanChat".  If I do that consistently, then that mailbox will always be empty except when I really have a missed chat.

bryak

I understand that switching it to another google account is an option, but still think that an undesired and difficult to notice side effect for the end user qualifies as a bug.  If using another google account is the suggested solution, the Google Voice setup instructions for the Obi should note that at setup.  Something simple like "We recommend creating a Google Voice account solely for the Obi".  That way crazy old ladies like my mom don't have their heads explode.  Otherwise I still think a firmware fix is the best solution.

Thanks for the help!

RFord

Quote from: bryak on April 29, 2013, 03:25:41 PM
I understand that switching it to another google account is an option, but still think that an undesired and difficult to notice side effect for the end user qualifies as a bug.  If using another google account is the suggested solution, the Google Voice setup instructions for the Obi should note that at setup.  Something simple like "We recommend creating a Google Voice account solely for the Obi".  That way crazy old ladies like my mom don't have their heads explode.  Otherwise I still think a firmware fix is the best solution.

Thanks for the help!

I don't know why you consider it a firmware bug or even think a firmware fix is even possible.  If I was in OBihai position I wouldn't mess with a working firmware just because a few individuals have issues.  The issue here doesn't seem to be a concern for the vast majority of OBi users and the solution exist outside of modifying the firmware.  Most OBi users that use Google Voice is just happy to have an inexpensive off the shelf device that just works with GV and be able to have a Home Telephone System with no fees/cost.  Obviously, the device is not for everyone and then there are a few that think that purchasing a $50 ATA some how grant them the license to a world of benefits.

GV being free or operational with the OBi ATA can disappear at any time....count your blessings and enjoy it while it last.  It drives be nuts when individuals makes silly comments like....."because i don't know that I will be vouching as heavily for the Obi/Google Voice combo until a fix comes along".  Who is asking you to vouch for the product?  The OBi Line of ATAs are the best on the market.  No other ATA even comes close.  They vouch for themselves!

aberson

Quote from: RFord on May 01, 2013, 03:15:43 AM
The issue here doesn't seem to be a concern for the vast majority of OBi users and the solution exist outside of modifying the firmware.

I expect the vast majority of users don't even realize it's happening and may be missing chat messages left and right.  I think that's the bigger issue.  And, it sounds like there's a chance it could be fixed in firmware, which seems reasonable enough to do.  Companies release new firmware all the time.

I do agree that it's no reason to hate the Obihai.  Still a great product, and hard to argue with free phone service from GV while it lasts.  But each user should have the info to decide - this issue, and the fact that calls don't ring in your gmail, could be deal breakers for somebody.