News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Possible to Edit Contact's List on OBI1032?

Started by Dan-Voip, January 01, 2015, 06:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan-Voip

Looking at page 51 of the OBi1000-IP-Phones-User-Guide (http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi1000-IP-Phones-User-Guide.pdf) it lists options to:

1) Import Contacts from a CSV file on a USB stick inserted into the OBi
2) Export the Phone Book to a CSV file on an attached USB drive

However when I select the "More" option on my phone running the latest V5-0-0-1905  firmware (http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0) the options are:

1) Import - that reports "No connected Bluetooh devices!" when selected
2) The "Export" option doesn't even appear

Opening a ticket with OBI support I received an email telling me to "Please refer to the admin guide" with a link to the users guide.  Where is this admin guide?

What am I missing beyond the options shown in the users guide?

azrobert

What type of mods are you trying make?
Maybe you can accomplish what you want with a configuration change, like adding area code to a 7 digit number or routing certain numbers differently.

Dan-Voip

azrobert,

I'm not really trying to modify anything.  Simply want to import a list of names and numbers of people I frequently call so I can dial by name.  The same thing most people do with a cell phone  :)

It is possible to save the number of an incoming caller in the contacts list.  However many of those callers don't provide a name and there appears to be no way to edit the list (ie: add a name) contrary to what the user manual states.

azrobert

To edit a contact:

Contacts
Tick
Highlight Contact
Tick

Highlight Field
Edit
Make your change
Enter
Optionally repeat above

More
Save

SteveInWA

Dan:

The "import a contact list via a file" function is currently in test, and should be in the next public firmware release.

Meanwhile, you can import a contact list from a mobile phone via Bluetooth, if you have the OBiBT dongle for your phone.

Dan-Voip

azrobert, that works but is time consuming if you have a lot of entries (like I do).

SteveInWA, being a new product I expected it might be a 'planned' update.  Just really disappointed that OBI support didn't know (or wouldn't say) that  :(

Thanks to both of you for your advice and information.

SteveInWA

There were some features that were dependent on firmware that wasn't ready, and I think they made the decision to get the hardware out the door with the base feature set.  Some features listed in the marketing material had an asterisk next to them, with a note that they would be available with a future firmware update.  Bluetooth support wasn't really working until recently, and the "sidecar" and electronic switch hook switch are two others.  The nice thing about the architecture is that there is a lot they can implement in firmware, without the hardware becoming obsolete.

Lazer

I wish I could modify my phone's contacts on my PC!
It would be so much easier and faster.

Boykin

I wish there was a way to back up your contacts on an OBi1032.  If you do a factory reset, they get deleted.  The backup of your settings does not back up your contacts. 

It would also be nice to be able to backup your contacts from one 1032 and restore them on another 1032.