News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

setting up an obi 202 for use with a voip security alarm system

Started by pfranks, January 22, 2015, 09:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pfranks

I just got an email announcement from obi suggesting that the obi 200 series could be used to connect to voip-based security systems   -but, as is typical, no explanation of what that means.  I have been using  two voip alarm systems--- both using proprietary devices from each company to link to my router (bypassing the obi 100 devices I have).  Does anyone know how the the obi 200 devices work in this context?--- do they allow avoiding purchasing a separate internet bridging device?

SteveInWA

Quote from: pfranks on January 22, 2015, 09:49:56 AM
I just got an email announcement from obi suggesting that the obi 200 series could be used to connect to voip-based security systems   -but, as is typical, no explanation of what that means.  I have been using  two voip alarm systems--- both using proprietary devices from each company to link to my router (bypassing the obi 100 devices I have).  Does anyone know how the the obi 200 devices work in this context?--- do they allow avoiding purchasing a separate internet bridging device?

No, that's not what the announcement said or meant.

You can use an OBi 20x with Google Voice, to replace a POTS line connected to an alarm panel.  From the alarm panel's perspective, it just looks like a POTS line.  The alarm panel is still using the standard Ademco DTMF protocol to communicate with the monitoring center over a dial-up PSTN connection.

This solution does not create nor use and direct interaction between the alarm panel and the alarm monitoring service via VoIP.

Rick

I found the announcement very misleading.  It clearly says "Why keep an expensive landline around, if a VoIP line will do the job? ".  Nothing ambiguous about that, they are saying that you can get your alarm system to work via VoIP.

Then the example they give says "3.   For example: SP1 with Google Voice".  As we all know, GV is not a VoIP provider.

There is not enough money in the world for me to trust my alarm system monitoring to a GV line.  In addition, many alarm monitoring centers have issues utilizing a VoIP line even when the communication protocols are altered, as in this case. 

TheDreamer

I had missed the announcement...though I wonder why is it limited to obi200/202?

But, spotted as I was wondering why calls weren't coming through on it....reason....I had set callcentric as SP1 and GoogleVoice as SP2, but because I don't get called that often....the only use of callcentric was to make outgoing calls before GoogleVoice came back.

So my callcentric account got closed on me....

Meanwhile, I currently have my security system connected to my obi110, to have 'analog' fallback for those rare occasions. (Though I've been thinking about home cellular box....which would mean I'd have to come up with a new use for the obi110.

The Dreamer.

BigJim_McD

Quote from: TheDreamer on February 06, 2015, 09:50:33 AM
Though I've been thinking about home cellular box....which would mean I'd have to come up with a new use for the obi110.

The Dreamer.

The Dreamer,  Several months ago, I had a mobile data module (4G) installed on my Alarm System so that I could get rid of my POTs Land Line that without any features had so many fees and taxes that the monthly charge was totally unreasonable.  I'm been happy with the change with "No Issues", that is after the Alarm Tech moved the Radio & Antenna to a high location in our garage {the basement location had an intermittent signal issue}.  I also upgraded to a service that allows me to receive alarm status and control the Alarm System on my mobile phone or Tablet.  My Alarm Service company charges the same additional fee for either Mobile Data or a WiFi connected Alarm Service.

As far as the OBi110, keep it to experiment with various VoIP systems.  I have my own Mini-Lab setup in my V-Office using my old OBi100 and OBi110.  I find it interesting and educational to test various VoIP services and features.
BigJimMcD