News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 202 setup

Started by EdT6, February 23, 2015, 02:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdT6

I have a Obi 200 already on the network, completely working.

Brand new, Obi 202. Plugged into Modem, just as I have the Obi 200.

On both the Obi 202 and Obi 200: I have a steady Power light. I have a Fast flashing green light indicating data activity. I have a Phone plugged into the back of each, on the Obi 202, it is plugged in to Phone 1.

Only the Obi 200 has a solid phone light. The phone light on the Obi 202 is not on.

I have tried the **9 222-222-222
Obi 200: I get the echo back test
Obi 202: nothing

I have swapped the phone cords and phones across the Obi 200 and Obi 202. The Obi 200 works with both phones. The Obi 202 doesn't work with either phone. I have swapped network cables, and jacks on the modem. No change.

I tried resetting the Obi 202. No change.

I hooked up a PC to the LAN side of the Obi 202, and accessed the Obi device on 196.168.10.1
> The Obi 202 device is assigned an IP from the modem
> I see the IP assignment on modem (using another PC)

I haven't made any changes to the Obi 202. The Obi documentation is somewhat limited, "If you cannot hear your voice echoed back at you check the connections are correct and your internet service is working". I tried adding the device through the ObiTalk portal, but dialing the pin does nothing on the Obi 202.

I have done a search for solutions to this problem, but what I found assumes the echo test works.

Again, I have the Obi 200 plugged into the Modem right next to the Obi 202. There are no special modem (firewall/port forwarding) rules on the Modem for either Obi 200 or 202. Yet the Obi 200 works, and the Obi 202 doesn't.

Any suggestions, instruction, ways to test if the Obi 202 device may be DOA?

Greatly appreciate the help!

202Owner

>>Only the Obi 200 has a solid phone light. The phone light on the Obi 202 is not on.

Are the OBi202 voice services configured and registered?  If not, then maybe no phone lights yet.

>The Obi 202 device is assigned an IP from the modem

The OBi202 defaults to being a router.  I assume your 'modem' is another upstream router.

>>I haven't made any changes to the Obi 202.

I would disable the OBi router from the LAN port:

LAN Settings - Lan Settings::OperationMode = Bridge
Submit
Reboot

Then it will become an ata and Ethernet switch on your LAN.  See if that helps.

EdT6

thank you 202Owner. I would love to configure and register the device, but I am stuck on step 3 of the installation (Dial **9 222222222). I tried to skip step 3, and add the device but that did not work either. When I enter the pin into the phone that was displayed in the portal, the portal did not receive it. I am unclear how to configure the Obi 202 device if I cannot add it through the Obitalk portal. I have attempted this several times as I swapped cables and phones.

I tried the Obi Support Number to enter a support request. After being on hold for an hour yesterday, I suspect their phone system isn't working either. - Nice!

The online troubleshooting tool is inadequate in providing any support. The first question inquires about the status of the power light. I clicked on solid green link, but that link appears to be broken. There is no response to the Solid Green link. - Nice!

Watched the installation video. No new ideas.

202Owner

You were able to connect your PC to the OBi LAN port and login to the OBi web interface at 192.168.10.1.  Do that again and configure the OBi for Bridge Mode:

Tip:  Deselect the default checkbox to configure a parameter.

LAN Settings - Lan Settings::OperationMode = Bridge
Submit at bottom of page
Reboot

EdT6

Thank you again 202Owner. Already tried this and "Bridge" mode made no difference in the ability to use the test number (**9 222222222) or register the device in the ObiTalk portal. Perhaps I am being myopic in approach, but I am not concerned with the network capabilities right now. I just want to register the device in the portal, Step 4 in the Quick Start Guide.

202Owner

Quote from: EdT6 on February 24, 2015, 07:25:24 AM
Perhaps I am being myopic in approach, but I am not concerned with the network capabilities right now. I just want to register the device in the portal, Step 4 in the Quick Start Guide.

The network is everything.  If your OBi cannot access the Internet, it will not reach the OBiTALK Cloud... OBiTALK Service and OBITALK Provisioning.

In Bridge Mode, with the OBi and your PC both connected to your router switch, you should be able to access the OBi web interface at the IP address assigned to it by your router.  Dial ***,1 on the OBi phone port to hear its assigned IP address.  This would prove your OBi is working properly on your LAN.  And then it should also be accessing the Internet like any other device on your LAN.

You have to prove what should work does not work before knowing where the problem might be... one step at a time.

EdT6

Again, thank you for that Ob202Owner. I am not doing a very good job of conveying the problem because I don't follow these suggestions. Apologize, I am new to this VoIp.

I can connect a PC1->Obi202->Modem->Internet. I can even logon to the ObiTalk portal from said PC1.

I can connect PC2->Modem->Ob202. I see the Ip assignments on the Obi202. I can see the Obi202 connected to the modem on the modem.

I suspect the device may be DOA with defective phone jacks. I tried ***1 command, there is no response returned over the phone. I have a working Obi200, and have swapped the phone/cords and they work with the Obi200. From this, I suspect the problem is the Obi202 device itself.

But that is just my inexperienced opinion...

202Owner

*** on a phone port should reach the Auto Attendant.  Then 1 should get the network status.
***1 with no pause should delay 10sec and then fast busy.

If nothing on either phone port, try a hard reset.  Depress the hardware reset button for 15 seconds to reset firmware to factory default settings.  Power LED will flash RED.

If the OBi200 has the same power adapter, try it.

If no joy, you may have a defective OBi.

EdT6

No response to the star commands. I am thinking the Obi 202 was DOA. Bummer!

Given that Obi Support has been silent, I should conclude they have no other troubleshooting ideas.

Oh well... I was pretty sure I was going to return the Obi202...

Thank you 202Owner.

EdT6

One more little tidbit, neither of the Phone 1 nor Phone 2 ever lit up...

Just sent a this to Obi support. crossing fingers. Thanks again Obi202Owner...

202Owner

Quote from: EdT6 on February 26, 2015, 11:48:20 AM

One more little tidbit, neither of the Phone 1 nor Phone 2 ever lit up...

Just sent a this to Obi support. crossing fingers. Thanks again Obi202Owner...

They may not light up until enabled by a configured and registered service.