News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100 Stopped Receiving Incoming

Started by sriniyer, May 13, 2015, 05:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sriniyer

I had my obi100 set up and running good for months now. Last week I stopped received incoming calls on my phone again. I started following the usual setup procedure by first logging into my gmail account to see that I will not be able to make phone calls using the "revert to old chat". Hangouts apparently is the only way to make calls now.

Nevertheless, I logged into my google voice account to delete forward to calls to my gtalk and redo the procedures. To my dismay I hit delete and it still keeps coming back. I am not able to get rid of it. Is anyone else in the same boat.

It is frustrating that obi has no technical support to call to !!!

P.S.  There have been no issues in making outgoing calls though.

SteveInWA

Hi:

It's unclear from your post, what, exactly, caused this, and what you did when you said you "logged into my google voice account to delete forward to calls to my gtalk...".

Some terminology:

Google Voice is the inbound call forwarding service.  Inbound calls to your Google Voice number are forwarded to whatever forwarding destinations (telephone numbers or Chat) you configure here:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Google Chat was the VoIP (Internet calling) system used by Google Voice for making and receiving calls on computers, including OBi devices, via the XMPP protocol.  Google now considers Chat obsolete, and it will eventually go away.  For now, it's being left in place, mainly to support OBi devices.  Adding Chat as a forwarding destination to the page above is what enables OBi use.

Independent of the destinations on the GV settings page, inbound GV calls will also forward to any Hangouts clients on any computer or mobile device, if that client is logged on and you've enabled ringing on inbound calls for that client.  Hangouts is now the current, supported platform for VoIP calling.

There is no "gtalk", and the former standalone Google Talk standalone program was shut down.

Now:  you can still revert to the old Chat system long enough to re-establish the Google Voice --> XMPP forwarding setup.  Log into your Gmail account on a web browser other than Google Chrome (Firefox, MS IE or Safari), and, when prompted, install the voice and video chat plugin.  If you installed it, and it repeatedly asks you to install it again, it's because plugins are considered obsolete technology with security exposures, and all browsers other than MS IE now block plugins by default.  You'll need to give the browser permission ("activate" or "allow") the plugin to run.

Then, click your chat avatar on the left side of the Gmail web page, to get to Chat settings, and click the small link that says "Revert to old Chat", if present.  If it says "Try the new Hangouts", don't click it at this time.  Make your one outbound call and it will re-add Chat to GV.

See my complete setup instructions here:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

sriniyer

Steve: Thanks for your response. Please see the attachment for clarification. if you go to google voice settings, there is option to forward to google chat. That should ideally have the obi id attached instead of my gmail (right below the icon). During set up, I deleted that option. Then if I make a outgoing from the phone and next time I login I would see the obi id.

To repeat the setup I tried the procedure again. But I simply am not able to delete "forward to google chat" option. I am using the IE because google hangouts extension is already enabled on Chrome.

Sorry for using "Chat" and "Talk" and "Hangouts" interchangeably. They have been evolving too often.

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 13, 2015, 12:34:46 PM
Hi:

It's unclear from your post, what, exactly, caused this, and what you did when you said you "logged into my google voice account to delete forward to calls to my gtalk...".

Some terminology:

Google Voice is the inbound call forwarding service.  Inbound calls to your Google Voice number are forwarded to whatever forwarding destinations (telephone numbers or Chat) you configure here:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Google Chat was the VoIP (Internet calling) system used by Google Voice for making and receiving calls on computers, including OBi devices, via the XMPP protocol.  Google now considers Chat obsolete, and it will eventually go away.  For now, it's being left in place, mainly to support OBi devices.  Adding Chat as a forwarding destination to the page above is what enables OBi use.

Independent of the destinations on the GV settings page, inbound GV calls will also forward to any Hangouts clients on any computer or mobile device, if that client is logged on and you've enabled ringing on inbound calls for that client.  Hangouts is now the current, supported platform for VoIP calling.

There is no "gtalk", and the former standalone Google Talk standalone program was shut down.

Now:  you can still revert to the old Chat system long enough to re-establish the Google Voice --> XMPP forwarding setup.  Log into your Gmail account on a web browser other than Google Chrome (Firefox, MS IE or Safari), and, when prompted, install the voice and video chat plugin.  If you installed it, and it repeatedly asks you to install it again, it's because plugins are considered obsolete technology with security exposures, and all browsers other than MS IE now block plugins by default.  You'll need to give the browser permission ("activate" or "allow") the plugin to run.

Then, click your chat avatar on the left side of the Gmail web page, to get to Chat settings, and click the small link that says "Revert to old Chat", if present.  If it says "Try the new Hangouts", don't click it at this time.  Make your one outbound call and it will re-add Chat to GV.

See my complete setup instructions here:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

SteveInWA

I don't understand what you are doing.  If you are referring to setting up the OBi to work with Google Voice, via the telephone attached to the OBi, then the procedure I described is correct.  If you are referring to expecting to see a drop-down selection for your OBi when making a call from your computer on the Google Voice web page, then that option has been permanently removed by Google.

The screenshot shows Google Chat installed.  It should show the same Gmail address as the account you were logged into, when you performed the OBi GV service provider setup, NOT an OBi ID (nine-digit number).

Read and follow my instructions to remove the OBi service provider configuration from your OBi and start over.

Smee

Quote from: sriniyer on May 13, 2015, 05:47:05 AM
I had my obi100 set up and running good for months now. Last week I stopped received incoming calls on my phone again.

Quote from: sriniyer on May 13, 2015, 05:47:05 AM
P.S.  There have been no issues in making outgoing calls though.

I had the same issue a few months ago, however the issue apparently was the Obi device.  I had to reset the Obi and then reconfigure it again.  I was able to make calls, but not receive just like you.  I didn't have to do anything on my GV account to resolve the issue.

Take care...

Smee