News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice won't let me add obi device as forwarding phone

Started by nwphil, May 27, 2015, 10:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwphil

I have configured SP1 as Google Voice. My outgoing call shows my Google Voice number to the receiver. Now I want to be able to receive calls on the Obi 100.

In Google Voice settings, "Add a new phone", what do I set as the number for the obi device? Do I use the **9 + Obi Number as the phone number for Google Voice to forward calls to? If I enter that, Google Voice shows an error: "Country of the forwarding phone is not supported" and won't let me save this phone number.

Help appreciated ...

OzarkEdge

An OBi interfaces with GV via the old Google Chat XMPP platform.  You must set GV to forward inbound calls to Google Chat... to then ring your OBi.  Sometimes you must jump through hoops to first restore the Google Chat option.

See these instructions:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

The 9-digit OBi number is strictly for calling another OBi peer-to-peer on the OBiTALK Network.  The OBiTALK Network does not interconnect other PSTN or VoIP networks (except when using an OBi as a gateway to its configured voice services).

OE

nwphil

Thank you for the instruction. I enabled "Google Chat" as the only forwarding destination (I used to have a mobile number that GV forwards calls to, which I have just disabled).

What should I expect to hear if I call my Google Number and it rings the OBI? I am currently hearing GV operator asking me to state my pin in order to access my account. Does it mean GV is forwarding or not forwarding the call to OBI?

OzarkEdge

I've never used an inbound GV number...

If GV is forwarding to Google Chat, the caller will here ringback tone and your registered OBi should ring.

Look for and try these GV settings:
no   Direct Access to voicemail when calling from ...
off   Call Screening
on   Global Spam Filtering
yes  Forward incoming calls to Google Chat option to route inbound calls to OBi GV device via XMPP platform

OE

SteveInWA

Quote from: nwphil on May 28, 2015, 09:24:10 AM
Thank you for the instruction. I enabled "Google Chat" as the only forwarding destination (I used to have a mobile number that GV forwards calls to, which I have just disabled).

What should I expect to hear if I call my Google Number and it rings the OBI? I am currently hearing GV operator asking me to state my pin in order to access my account. Does it mean GV is forwarding or not forwarding the call to OBI?

If you hear that message, then one of two things is causing the behavior: 

1)  You have a Google Voice "lite" account, not a full-function account, and you are calling your voicemail access number.  GV Lite accounts are only used for mobile phone voicemail boxes, and cannot receive inbound calls.  Log onto your GV account from a laptop or desktop computer's web browser, not from a mobile phone, and go here:

https://www.google.com/voice#phones

Look on the left side of the web page.  If you see the exact two words "Your number", then you have a full-function inbound GV number.  If it instead says "Access number", then you have a "Lite" account.

Or, 2) You do have a full-function GV inbound number.  You need to go to that same settings page, and click the "Edit" button under your forwarding phone number, then click the "show advanced settings" link.  Look at the "Voicemail access" option, and change it to "Yes".  When GV sees the caller ID of that forwarding number calling in, it will fast-track you to your VM box.  Of course, if anyone calls your GV number from any other phone number, not a listed forwarding phone, your GV number will ring, so you can answer the call.