News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Extend PSTN line to second Obitalk?

Started by Doctor567, December 29, 2016, 09:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctor567

Here's my situation:

We have a recently-acquired branch office with a PSTN phone line and primary phone number.   It is plugged into an FXO port on an OBi 202. Their phone system is now plugged into the Phone 1 port on that OBi, and everything works hunky-dory (i.e. The PSTN line rings through the OBi to the phone system).

Now, we have an OBi 202 at our office, and we would like it to ring when someone calls the branch office number (while we are waiting for the port to our VOIP provider to go through).  I believe I can do this based on https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/incoming-calls-ring-my-OBis-phone,and-another-OBi-No but just use the LINE instead of SP1?

Here's what I tried:
On the branch office OBi, I went to Obi Expert Config->Physical Interfaces->LINE and, under InboundCallRoute, changed {ph1,ph2} to:
{ph1,ph2,pp(obXXXXXXXXX)}
Where XXXXXXXXX is the number of our main office OBi.

I tried calling it, and the phone ports appear to ring but NOT the other OBi device.  

Has anyone done this with a physical line, and can it work? Is there a problem with my syntax?

drgeoff

That should work.

Check that Obitalk service is enabled on both Obi ATAs.

(BTW do not refer to the OBi devices as 'Obitalks'.  They are not and that word is already doubly used for the portal and for the device to device voice service.)

azrobert

Make sure the main office OBi202 is setup to route the call correctly.

Voice Services -> OBiTalk Service -> InboundCallRoute: ph,ph2

Doctor567

Understood. I edited the post, lest it confuses someone in the future.

So I checked the main office Voice Services -> OBiTalk Service -> InboundCallRoute: ph,ph2 is set correctly.  I called it with my own OBi at home, and it rang okay.

I'm not sure how to verify that OBiTALK service is enabled on the branch office OBi, but my guess is that it is - All of the settings under Voice Services -> ObiTALK Service are set to "OBiTALK Settings".  Also, the OBiTALK service status says "Normal (User Mode)" under the system status info.

I noticed that under my LINE->InboundCallRoute field, there is a red exclamation point next to it.  Is this an indication of a syntax error?  Again, the field contains:
{ph1,ph2,pp(ob5009124XX)}
For privacy, I changed the last 2 digits above to XX.  I have verified several times that I have the correct main office OBi device # there.  Seems strange that it doesn't work.

drgeoff

If the Obitalk service status says "Normal (User Mode)" then it is enabled.

The red exclamation marks merely indicate that non-default settings are applied.  Nothing to worry about.

Doctor567

Correction:
Quote from: Doctor567 on December 29, 2016, 10:37:36 AM

So I checked the main office Voice Services -> OBiTalk Service -> InboundCallRoute: ph,ph2 is set correctly.  I called it with my own OBi at home, and it rang okay.

I checked again, and somehow the OBiTALK InboundCallRoute at the main office device had reverted back to:
{(290384853|5004034XX)>(xx.):SP1},{(290384853|5004034XX):aa},{ph,ph2}

Not sure how, but it was probably my fault somehow.   Anyway, once I set this to ph,ph2 it worked.  Thanks for all the help azrobert and drgeoff!

Doctor567

Come to think of it, I had played around with the "linked devices" feature, and I suspect that this modifies the OBiTALK service InboundCallRouting field.  Perhaps it clobbered my customization of the value.