News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Newbie help request: OBI200 Phone port LED is NOT on

Started by apjoregon, February 07, 2022, 09:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apjoregon

HI, folks... I have an older Obihai branded OBI200 that works fine, VOIP for a Google #.  I am trying to configure a new OBI200 (Polycom) on a different Google #.  The phone LED does not come on at all.  There's no feedback, nothing at all on the phone, it's dead.  The reason I mention my existing Obihai is because I've swapped it out using the same phone and it works fine so I know it's not a physical phone or cable issue.

The OBI200 is at the latest firmware version and I've done a factory reset.  The other two lights are green.  If I check the "PHONE port status" on the OBI device's local web page it's all blank, nothing there at all either with the receiver down, up or whatever.

The troubleshooting information for "phone led is not green" is very terse:

QuoteThe service provider configured in the OBi needs to have a valid credential. Make sure you have entered the correct information in you OBiTALK under your Service Provider configuration.

However, I don't know what the means.  I can't find anything about a "service provider" anywhere on my dashboard or Google Voice settings.

Please, any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Andy

apjoregon

One more thing that might be pertinent: when I posted this request I got an error from the website about bad credentials from "support.google.com".  Something happened after I posted where sending an email failed.  I wonder if there could be something in my browser that's not letting my Google credentials be used by the Obitalk site?

drgeoff

Problems with the forum software are longstanding.  What you report in your second post above has no bearing whatsoever on the problem with your OBi200.

A powered OBi should always be able to give dial tone to a phone that is taken off-hook. The phone port status page should never show those blanks. There are no user accessible config settings which can put an Obi into the state that you describe.  You can try a complete reset but I never heard of that effecting a cure.

Almost always those symptoms mean a hardware failure, usually because the phone port interface circuitry has been "fried" by exposure to external voltage.  This can happen when the phone port is deliberately or inadvertently connected to a telco line, a PBX extension line or the phone port of another OBi (or other make of ATA).

Such hardware fault is not repairable by an end user or economically worthwhile even if possible by a professional.  If you are certain that the failure was not caused by yourself, you should seek whatever redress is available from the seller.

apjoregon

Great, thanks for the clarification on that email error message as well as your insight into my OBI200 problem. I definitely appreciate the time you took to help me out!  It sounds like I'll need to reach out to the seller, cross my fingers!  Thanks again/

Andy