News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Two of the same ATA's shown in Google Voice settings

Started by videobruce, September 07, 2023, 01:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

videobruce

I just setup  a OBi202 to my pay phone provider and the 2nd port to Google Voice. All appears well.
BUT, when I went over to Google Voice settings, there are two identical OBi202 devices with the SAME number.
This has nothing to do with IP phones, just the ATA. I know I could just remove one, but which one? I tried to setup a 2nd adapter (for a backup) and when I went to the GV settings on the 2nd port I got a "Registration not necessary". I tried that port and it didn't work. I think it's because of this other duplicate adapter.

Any ideas?
I'll take VoIP any day over cell phones !

drgeoff

IMHO your problem with the backup OBi is not caused by the duplicate of the other OBi.

Did it really show "Registration not necessary"?  Not "Registration not required"?

Have you updated the firmware on that OBi?  No other firmware except the latest one (3-2-2-8680EX) works with GV.

videobruce

Yes, it was worded 'not necessary'.
All devices have the 8680EX F/W and all were set to factory defaults before running the 'wizards'.

drgeoff

Quote from: videobruce on September 07, 2023, 02:04:48 PMYes, it was worded 'not necessary'.
That is a new one.  Google does not find a single instance of "Registration not necessary" in the whole forum.

Taoman

Quote from: videobruce on September 07, 2023, 01:36:24 PMI just setup  a OBi202 to my pay phone provider and the 2nd port to Google Voice. All appears well.
BUT, when I went over to Google Voice settings, there are two identical OBi202 devices with the SAME number.

So both inbound and outbound calls are working on both your PhonePower trunk and your GV trunk?

If so, go into GV settings and disable one of the duplicate OBi202s under Incoming Calls->My devices. Then make an inbound call to your GV number. Through a process of elimination you should be able to figure out which one is the unneeded duplicate that you can delete.

Note: the incoming call you're testing with cannot be one of your Contacts.

videobruce

Yes for both ports in and out.
You can only 'remove' the instance of the ATA, not disable it.

I don't know if that will remove both or not. But that isn't the ATA that gave me the message. It was the 3rd that I tried to setup. In all three, I setup port one first by itself, I didn't click Setup GV when I started to do the provider setup. One at a time. I deleted the rejected install from that ATA (that's now in storage. I only have the ATA with the double entry active if that makes sense..

I would post a screen shot, but there isn't the ability to post attachments here and I don't have a hosting site to link it to.

Taoman

Quote from: videobruce on September 07, 2023, 03:11:05 PMYou can only 'remove' the instance of the ATA, not disable it.

Wrong. I'm not making this stuff up. Did you navigate to where I told you?

Google Voice Settings
Calls
Incoming Calls
My devices

Move the slider to disable one of your OBi202s. See attachment.

GVSettingsCalls.JPG

drgeoff

Quote from: videobruce on September 07, 2023, 03:11:05 PMI would post a screen shot, but there isn't the ability to post attachments here ..
Not true, as evidenced by the text file attached to this post. Admittedly the ability is not in plain sight. Press the preview button and "Attachments and other options" will appear.

videobruce

I don't always use the preview function in forums, which includes here. That's a odd place to put it, almost as bad as the process of signing in in here.  ???

Here they are. Note the last 2 entries which are for the active 202. Also note the last 202 in OBi's site only having PP setup on SP 1 unlike the other two.;

No message is associated with this attachment.No message is associated with this attachment.  01 Google Voice Settings blocked.png02 OBi Dashboard 3 ATA's blocked id.png 

videobruce

Ok, I scrolled down and see the duplicated list of devices which logically should be combined into the 1st list.  ::)
I will try that procedure.

drgeoff

It is not a good idea to publish your OBi numbers.  Suggest you modify the posts and replace the screenshots with ones which you hae edited to partially obscure them.

videobruce

videobruce

Ok, I disabled the 2nd duplicate and that GV Port was still active.
I re-enabled it and disabled the 1st duplicate, same thing, GV was still working.
So I disabled BOTH, guess what; still enabled.  ::)

There is no 'Enter', 'Save' or similar button like most 'Settings' have with similar function changes have so there isn't a way to see any confirmation.

Taoman

Quote from: videobruce on September 09, 2023, 08:49:10 AMSo I disabled BOTH, guess what; still enabled.  ::)
If that's the case you didn't test your OBi the way I asked you to.

Quote from: videobruceThere is no 'Enter', 'Save' or similar button like most 'Settings' have with similar function changes have so there isn't a way to see any confirmation.
Simply leave the GV settings page and then return to it. Did the change you made remain?

videobruce

Yes I did, I disabled one, made a test call from the GV number to my primary number, it went thru,
then I re-enabled it, then I disabled the other entry, made another test call and that went thru also.

I went to another page and returned, the change remained both times. (This is using a 2 line wired phone)

Taoman

Quote from: videobruce on September 10, 2023, 05:18:40 AMYes I did, I disabled one, made a test call from the GV number to my primary number, it went thru,
then I re-enabled it, then I disabled the other entry, made another test call and that went thru also.

Yet, what I asked you to do is make an inbound call to your GV number from an unknown (non Google Contact number) number.
Quote from: Taoman on September 07, 2023, 02:31:06 PMNote: the incoming call you're testing with cannot be one of your Contacts.

If you look in GV settings where you "disabled" your OBi202 you will see this only affects inbound calls. Even if you have both entries of your OBi202 "disabled" you will still be able to make outbound calls.

videobruce

Usually, when one 'disables' something, it's disabled!  ::)

I repeated the test and found the 2nd entry the working device. The 1st disabled still allowed the call from my primary to go thru.
Do I keep my fingers crossed when I remove the 1st device, hoping that doing so won't remove both?  ;)

videobruce

I finally, after confirming again that the 'bogus' duplicate OBi entry in GV was not the one that is active, I successfully removed/deleted that device and confirmed that the active 202 (which was the original device that has been in service) was still good and it was.

BUT, to my surprise when it booted back up and it connected with PP and the Obi Portal, SP2 which is the GV port showed solid green. I made a GV test call and it worked!
But, OBiTalk's site for that adapter on SP2 shows "not configured" and grayed out ???

I don't want to go thru the GV setup procedure yet since I assume it will create a duplicate entry in GV' site as before. I assume I would have to remove that GV entry of the adapter and then do the fresh setup for GV.

Does that sound correct, or should I wait to see if ObiTalk site will show SP2 registered before doing anything??

Taoman

Login to your OBi using the local network ip address.
Navigate to System Management-->Auto Provisioning
Scroll down to OBiTalk Provisioning
What is the Value for "Method?"

Click on Status-->System Status
Scroll down to SP1 Service Status and SP2 Service Status
Post a screenshot showing the Status of SP1 and SP2

Also post a screenshot of your OBi dashboard as you did earlier in this thread.