News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 Echo Help Please

Started by tpir72, February 06, 2013, 12:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoalMinerRetired

I have to question the above.

Based on studying up on the subject, and some practical usage, I'm of the opinion that echo is rarely if ever at all caused by the digitized part of a VoIP circuit or route. Network data packets do not repeat or echo like analog voice signals in an analog circuit, like a microphone. And, on the receiving end of the digitized VoIP packet algorithms reconstruct the incoming data in the correct order and do not for example allow overlap, repetition or 'replay' of the same incoming packet.  So, for everyone's information, are there any actual examples of why or how the above is a factor in eliminating echo?  Note that the above sometimes is a factor in choppy speech, but that is not the same as echo.

In addition, I'll add that the previously mentioned test of doing some calls entirely in the Gmail Call/Chat feature in a browser, there by fully eliminating the Obi device and any analog components, is easier to do that the above reconfiguration of subnets.

tpir72

OK, I'm getting a little lost on this. The settings I have are:

DHCP
IP Address: 192.168.1.1
SubnetMask: 255.255.255.0
DefaultGateway: 192.168.1.1
DNSServer1: 4.2.2.2
DNSServer2: 8.8.8.8

QoS General Settings
UpStreamBandwidth: 40960
RestrictedBandwidth: 10240

Everything else is set to default.

Where specifically do I change this?

1.   Separate your data and voip traffic into two different vlan/subnets.

Example:
Data = vlan1/192.168.1.1
Voip = vlan3/192.168.3.1

2.   Qos:

Setup your Quality of Service for Voip to the highest priority and leave everything else the same.

tpir72

Hi,
  I'm running out of things to try to solve the echo. I just had one incoming call that had a huge echo (me @ work and the wife @ home).

Can someone with an Obi202 please help me tweak this (step-by-step)?

Thanks everyone for the help...

Regards,

Terry

There are couple more things you can try to resolve your problem.

1.   Separate your data and voip traffic into two different vlan/subnets.

Example:
Data = vlan1/192.168.1.1
Voip = vlan3/192.168.3.1

2.   Qos:

Setup your Quality of Service for Voip to the highest priority and leave everything else the same.

I don't know if can do the above on your router but you can set it up on your Obi202 for sure. Since I don't own Obi202, I cannot walk you through the setup. If you are having trouble setting it up then may I suggest that you either grab a manual and learn or ask someone here for help.

QBZappy

tpir72,

Can you identify a pattern of when calls have echo.
eg:
PSTN<->sip
PSTN<->GV
sip<->sip
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

tpir72

Hi,
   If I understand the terminology correctly, it is PSTN<->GV

I only use Obi202 to make a receive calls over my normal home phone. I don't use GV with a headset on my PC. I also don't use the Obi to Obi feature.

In this setup my Obi202 is also my router.

Regards,

Terry

Quote from: QBZappy on March 02, 2013, 07:34:51 PM
tpir72,

Can you identify a pattern of when calls have echo.
eg:
PSTN<->sip
PSTN<->GV
sip<->sip

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on February 17, 2013, 03:24:06 PM
...Lastly, what is the echo and sound quality like when you make a call GV in your browser, thus completely bypassing your Obi and your analog phone?

I'd still like to know what the results are when you do the above, i.e., completely eliminating your Obi from the picture?  

I know you asked about it previously. There's no 'handset on your PC' involved, it's the built in speakers and built in microphone already built in to a laptop. You don't have to use your PC for this, it can be any PC, in any browser, with you logged into your Google email and with the Google Chat feature 'added on' to the browser.  

In my experience and opinion, any advice on subnetting or VLANs is going in the wrong direction. However QoS settings are ok (but this relates to choppy sound or dropped calls not echo). Echo is caused by analog components, either before the analog signals are turned into digital packets, or at the other end when digital packets are turned back into analog signals (telco central office), or as the analog signals travel from point of digital-to-analog conversion, i.e., copper wiring from local telco central office to the phone where you make the call from work.

Start eliminating large pieces of this 'circuit' and see where the echo goes away and reappears. Doing so will point to one of the pieces, either your Obi, or the telco office through to the individual handset you use at work.