News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi from Wifi card?

Started by helpful55, March 10, 2014, 12:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

helpful55

Hopefully I've got this posted in the right place. I may be able to find this somewhere else but I thought that someone could tell me in a simple way how to do this. I have been using my Obi right off of my modem from DSL. I am going to have to use Wifi in a motel for a while soon. I put a wireless card in my desktop to get ready and it will work. I was working with setting up my PC's for networking previously, but may have never got that all done. Anyway, can I, and how do I set my PC to send the internet signal out my Ethernet socket so I can run my Obi from that? Or will I need to do this a different way? Thanks Obi'ers.

drgeoff

You want the computer to connect to the internet via Wi-Fi and the OBi wired to the computer's ethernet port?  Assuming you are running Windows, the precise instructions may vary depending on which version of Windows.  You should be able to Google for 'Internet Connection Sharing'.

AFAIK the OBi's do not have an autosensing ethernet port.  If the computer does not have one either (many modern ones do) you will need a crossover cable between the OBi and the computer.  

helpful55

Thank you drgeoff, I'll look that up. Yes I am wanting to use the PC's net signal it gets from the wireless card to come through it's Ethernet port for my Obi. And thanks for reminding me about needing the crossover cable also. That would be real fun expecting it to work with a straight through cable.

giqcass

I have done this before with other ATA devices and I had no problems with it.  Crossover cables are rarely needed anymore so I keep a crossover cable adapter in my computer bag for these situations.  Stick it on the end of a normal cable and you have a crossover cable or stick it on a crossover cable to turn it into a normal cable.

If you have a problem at the hotel be sure to access the internet on your computer first WITH A WEB BROWSER.  They sometimes make you agree to their TOS before you can reach the internet.

If you have and Obi20x series the Wifi adapter might be a good purchase although some free wireless access points may not work well with it because they require you to log in with a browser first as I mentioned above.
Long live our new ObiLords!

dircom

rather than go thru all those hoops, you might install OBiON PC  on your computer
and 3cx softphone
then make a call using your laptop
I did that last trip, and worked great (assuming you have a microphone in your laptop) or desktop
download 3CX softphone here
http://www.3cx.com/voip/softphone/

Edit
Who is your VOIP provider?

cluckercreek

Quote from: dircom on March 10, 2014, 03:32:53 PM
rather than go thru all those hoops, you might install OBiON PC  on your computer
and 3cx softphone
I did that last trip, and worked great (assuming you have a microphone in your laptop) or desktop

I've been trying to download the ObiON PC software but keep getting an error 403 message. Has Obi discontinued it?

giqcass

Quote from: dircom on March 10, 2014, 03:32:53 PM
and 3cx softphone

If going that route is there any reason to involve the Obi at all?  Just register your sip provider to a softphone on your PC.  If using Google Voice an open web browser will do the trick. A nice usb handset gives the feel of a real phone should you want that.  An android or a IOS device would also suffice.  

giqcass

Quote from: cluckercreek on March 10, 2014, 03:54:56 PM
I've been trying to download the ObiON PC software but keep getting an error 403 message. Has Obi discontinued it?

I did some sleuthing and here is your link.
http://fw.obihai.com/OBiAPPsetup.exe

Obihai needs to update there links since they changed their firmware server.

QuoteOBiON PC (Formerly OBiAPP for PC)

OBiON PC is an application for a Windows-based PC that facilitates placing and receiving calls to and from other OBi endpoints. You use it in conjunction with a SIP compliant soft phone installed on your PC. We recommend you use X-Lite soft phone from CounterPath. X-Lite is a free application and can be downloaded from the CounterPath web site. OBiON PC is a free application and can be downloaded from the OBiTALK portal. To use OBiON PC, simply download and install it to your PC. Then sign in to OBiTALK from the OBiON PC interface using your OBiTALK e-mail ID and password.

OBiON PC Soft Phone Middleware (3rd Party SIP Soft Phone Required)

cluckercreek

Quote from: giqcass on March 10, 2014, 04:14:22 PM

I did some sleuthing and here is your link.
http://fw.obihai.com/OBiAPPsetup.exe

Obihai needs to update there links since they changed their firmware server.

Thanks gigcass!!!

azrobert

Here is how I connected an OBi to a PC:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6164.0

I thought you needed a crossover cable, but TrapDoor set me straight.

You can also check Share Internet Connection instead of the above.
I forgot exactly what it's called or where it's found.

cluckercreek

If going that route is there any reason to involve the Obi at all?  Just register your sip provider to a softphone on your PC.  If using Google Voice an open web browser will do the trick. A nice usb handset gives the feel of a real phone should you want that.  An android or a IOS device would also suffice.  
[/quote]

I was wondering this myself. I was thinking about using this setup on my desktop to keep from buying another phone.