News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call Forward Using the Obi (and not the SIP)

Started by threehappypenguins, April 21, 2014, 12:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threehappypenguins

I signed my mother-in-law up for a Google Voice Niagara Falls number a while ago so that her family there can call her for free as if it was local. She doesn't want to lose that when Google Voice loses XMPP service. But the way I'm rigging things to do things cheaply here in Canada, both SP's in her Obi110 will be used up. And I can't forward her Google Voice number to her Canadian number either because GV doesn't let you do that.

I have an Obi202, and I can spare a port for her and put a free Callcentric number on there and have the Google Voice number forwarded to the Callcentric number. Is there a way that I can use the Obi itself (and not the Callcentric service) to forward the Callcentric SP incoming calls to her Obi or to her phone number?

So it would look like this:

Obi 110 (mother-in-law):
SP1: Anveo (home phone number)
SP2: TheSpout (used for 811 & 311 services only)

Obi202 (my Obi)
SP1: Freephoneline
SP2: TheSpout
SP3: Callcentric ----> forwarded to mother-in-law's Obi or phone number

Taoman

Don't know about Obi to Obi communication but if TheSpout is outgoing only you might try to configure it as a Voice Gateway which would free up SP2. This would only work if TheSpout didn't require registration for outbound calls.

threehappypenguins

I'm sorry... I don't understand what you mean? Can you clarify a little more? I thought I need to have TheSpout registered on an SP if I want to make outgoing 811 and 311 calls?

Taoman

It depends on the service provider. Many don't require registration for outbound calls.....they only require authentication. Localphone is a prime example. I have an Obi110 and my 2 SP slots are filled. So I configured CallWithUs and IPComms as Voice Gateways since they are outgoing only and don't require registration. Some service providers allow it and some don't.

threehappypenguins

I still don't follow. I thought registration and authentication is the same thing? You have a username and password that you must enter? I'm confused...

Taoman

Quote from: threehappypenguins on April 21, 2014, 06:19:46 PM
I still don't follow. I thought registration and authentication is the same thing? You have a username and password that you must enter? I'm confused...

Although registration uses authentication they are not the same thing. The SIP server needs to know where the UA endpoint is at all times in order to route incoming calls......hence the registration. The Registrar server will then update on a regular schedule with the User Agent. This is not technically required for outgoing calls although some SIP providers do require registration for outgoing calls also. Yes, a username and password is required but only for validation/authentication. It's really not important that you know this stuff. If you're really interested then Google it. What's important is whether or not TheSpout requires registration for outbound calls. If not, you can configure TheSpout as a Voice Gateway which will free up SP2.
Just send an email to support@thespout.ca and ask if registration for outbound calls is required. If it isn't, follow the directions in the link below:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=526.0

azrobert

To answer your original question on routing SP3 to the OBi110:
Change the SP3 X_InboundCallRoute to:
pp(ob200111111)

Where 200111111 is the OBi110's OBi number.

On the OBi110 the OBitalk InboundCallRoute should be the default:
ph

I agree with Taoman that using a Voice Gateway to free an SP trunk would be a better solution, but the example given is more complicated than it has to be. When routing only 2 numbers, a prefix is not required.

Voice Services -> Gateways and Trunk Groups -> Voice Gateway 1

Name: TheSpout
Access Number: sp1(sipfrom.thespout.ca)
DigitMap: (311|811)
AuthUserID: Your_UserID
AuthPassword: Your_PW

Add the following rule to the beginning (after the paren) of the Phone Port DigitMap:
(Mvg1)|

Add the following rule to the beginning of the Phone Port OutboundCallRoute:
{(Mvg1):vg1},

Edit:

The call path would be:
GV -> Callcentric -> OBi110

Compared to:
GV -> Callcentric -> OBi202 -> OBihai Server -> OBi110

Taoman

Quote from: azrobert on April 21, 2014, 09:01:17 PM

I agree with Taoman that using a Voice Gateway to free an SP trunk would be a better solution, but the example given is more complicated than it has to be. When routing only 2 numbers, a prefix is not required.

Thanks, azrobert. I did realize that the link I gave was overkill (especially for only 2 numbers) but I thought it would give him a little perspective and show different ways to use Voice Gateways as he seemed to be having a hard time understanding the concept. If you are aware of a better thread to use for showing examples and walking people thru the process of configuring VGs I'd sure appreciate the link. Thanks.

PS. I think the actual SIP server his mother-in-law would use is ca.sipfrom.thespout.ca

threehappypenguins

Ok... I contacted TheSpout, and they said they allow outgoing calls without requiring registration. So how would I set this up on my Obi? I tried putting in the sip server, and then just the username without the password, and the status is showing "registration failed". Is it supposed to say that? Then I tried putting in the sip server with no username and password, and it says, "Service not Configured." Is that what I'm supposed to do?

I really need some clarification. I don't know how to do authentication without registration.

gderf

Search the forum for how to set up Voice Gateways.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

threehappypenguins

Uggghhhh... I already did! Which is why I was asking!!!

BUT... I managed to find a super old post where ianobi was helping me with setting up CSipSimple and Google Voice. All I did was put in the sip server, and then:

Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> AuthUserName : (any letters or numbers)
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_RegisterEnable : (unchecked)

It was the X_RegisterEnable that did the trick.

Now... I also found out that I was mistaken and that TheSpout DOES require registration. However, this was not a problem since they also allow me to create multiple SIP users with their own password so that there is not a conflict in registration.

Taoman

Quote from: threehappypenguins on April 25, 2014, 01:03:35 PM

Now... I also found out that I was mistaken and that TheSpout DOES require registration. However, this was not a problem since they also allow me to create multiple SIP users with their own password so that there is not a conflict in registration.

You're last 2 posts are very confusing to me. But if TheSpout "DOES require registration" then using a Voice Gateway is not an option. You will have to go with your second idea of forwarding from your Obi to the other Obi which I have no experience with. However, azrobert has already given you the necessary information. You would setup Callcentric on SP3 and route it to your mother-in-law's Obi.

Quote from: azrobertTo answer your original question on routing SP3 to the OBi110:
Change the SP3 X_InboundCallRoute to:
pp(ob200111111)

Where 200111111 is the OBi110's OBi number.

On the OBi110 the OBitalk InboundCallRoute should be the default:
ph