News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice - still working - and its 16 May 2014

Started by justgrant, May 16, 2014, 03:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whoit

1) All the 911 posters - you should have started a new thread. That's just common Forum etiquette.

2) It's May 27 and although Obihai reports (online) that my GV access is "Offline" that fact is, it's still works fine - and I have two GV lines in my Obi202.

3) I agree with those that have replied indicating whether or not their GV/Obi is working. If enough people post, we'll know when it's an individual problem or the actual death of GV/Obi/XMPP since no one seems to know...

YASH

I have obi202 and my both lines of  incoming and out going, are still working good, even after May 15.
So far, no problem at all.  
btw,....I also have two ooma lines ( both totally free, like this OBI,  as my ooma classic was bought, before 2008, when they had assured life-long free ), and also one TK6000 ( older version of netatlk) line, which is also totally free like obi.

I like, all free diff devices ( of their life services ), as some cover Canada and some cover 911 phones and some allows sending fax with diff protocols/some diff. way,.. and hence fax ALWAYS goes,.... So, among these all three different, I cover all aspects and still not paying any penny to any, for any monthly bills.  
Having said that, I concern least,.. say, if my obi dies, due to GV.

After reading all of the above posts here,..... and summing up, here is what I concluded.::

Let us wait till GV actually pulls off plug,.... and who knows when(?),.. it could be few weeks,months, a year later,. etc

Till time,
like obi sent us all the e-mails, the new few service RING will be in effect soon and we all can switch from GV to RING, totally free, once again.  

IMO, if obi starts charging say 45 to 60 dollars per year ( for their third party services ), like magic jack plus / nettalk / ooma telo, ....
Then it simply means,.... I see no difference and I rank all of these above said pieces almost in the same cadre/category more or less, and I may rather start hunting and searching for those old antique  pieces ( if someone is still selling ) like ooma classic and/or TK6000 - as they are free life-long, once paid for the devices initially.

YASH

This part somehow I do not understand,...

If ring to service is coming eventually free
just like the Google Voice,  why it will not be available to
the previously purchased obi devices holders , who purchased it before the May 1, 2014? "

This is the e-mail obi circulated to all its customers,...

http://blog.obihai.com/2014/05/the-google-voice-service-is-still.html

AlanB

YASH. No offense but out of your seven posts only three are unique. Please try to ask each question only once unless someone points you to a different topic that's better suited.

As far as your question, it's being discussed here. http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8145.0

lhm.

Google Voice - still working - and its 16 May 2014

My mama said, "It will still work for many more years to come."

LonnieMcClure

My own experience is that outgoing calls still work fine as of June 3, 2014. I also found that incoming calls also work, except they don't ring the phone (i.e, if I hear them ring in on the Google Hangouts app on my iPod Touch, I can still pick up the call on the phone attached to my Obi110).

shadesofidaho

If I do not port my Google voice number to another service. Do I just get another number? From who?? Not sure how to say this right. I do not care about my google voice number. I would have to dig to even find it. I only make out going calls.

Will one of the new services supply a phone number?

Thanks  Chris

drgeoff

Quote from: shadesofidaho on June 04, 2014, 08:52:20 AM
Will one of the new services supply a phone number?
Not all providers give you a phone number (a DID) as a matter of course.  Of those that don't, some will for an extra charge.

Which ITSP is best for you depends on your requirements.  No different from which house or which car is best.  Many options for post XMPP cut-off have been discussed (almost to death) on these forums.

vmseaber

I'm using one GV number with an Obi100 and thus far, as of 06/04/2014 my line continues to work - both inbound and outbound calls.

Any others using GV with lines still working (inbound and outbound calls)?

Just curious.

vmseaber

gderf

Oh please.

Don't you think this forum would have been completely flooded with reports of GV no longer working if in fact it stopped working?
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

onepolarbear

Quote from: gderf on June 04, 2014, 04:17:43 PM
Oh please.

Don't you think this forum would have been completely flooded with reports of GV no longer working if in fact it stopped working?

that makes me wonder... how many people(i.e. cheapskates like myself)
are actually using Google Voice on Obi devices in the US?

(1) 1,000
(2) 10,000
(3) 50,000
(4) 100,000
(5) 1,000,000

dircom

Quote from: gderf on June 04, 2014, 04:17:43 PM
Oh please.

well, the forum IS completely flooded with new posters talking about it, ie, "they said they were going to take my rattle away, but I still have it, why?"  :o
FWIW I set up 11 GV #'s for myself and and family

gderf

And it's posts like that that make we wish the forum software allowed me to ignore such.

onepolarbear

Quote from: gderf on June 05, 2014, 09:23:14 AM
And it's posts like that that make we wish the forum software allowed me to ignore such.

Google and/or Obihai are just like doctors.  When a doctor says "You have 6 months to live!" and you live for another 3 years, he/she looks like a hero!     When Google declared May 15 to be the date of execution for Google Voice and it continued to work.... well... you do the math.   (on second thought, this is more like a stay of execution)

gderf

Google never declared the end of Google Voice.

mykmayk

Quote from: gderf on June 05, 2014, 12:35:09 PM
Google never declared the end of Google Voice.

tru dat.  they just said "Google announced the end of support for XMPP based calling"....  only the support is ending.  but google voice itself lives on.  "if something breaks on XMPP, you're on your own" is how i read that statement
əʞɪɯ mɪke

InetUser

Quote from: onepolarbear on June 05, 2014, 12:16:17 PM
When Google declared May 15 to be the date of execution for Google Voice ...
Google never declared any changes for Google Voice users.  The only public statement from Google was made on Oct 31, 2013 by a Google Voice employee:

https://plus.google.com/+NikhylSinghal/posts/MjyncJEbzxK

which stated:

"a few third-party applications that provide calling and SMS services by making unauthorized use of Google Voice" ... "must stop making unauthorized use of Google Voice to run their services and transition users by May 15, 2014."

It was Obihai, not Google, that stated "Google announced the end of support for XMPP based calling with Google Voice. This will happen on May 15, 2014".

Google still hasn't made any public announcement that Google Voice is going to stop working as it currently does.

onepolarbear

Quote from: InetUser on June 05, 2014, 12:47:47 PM

"a few third-party applications that provide calling and SMS services by making unauthorized use of Google Voice" ... "must stop making unauthorized use of Google Voice to run their services and transition users by May 15, 2014."

let's face it, Obihai was the biggest offender. (plus we the users)  Guilty as charged?

InetUser

Quote from: onepolarbear on June 05, 2014, 01:13:02 PM

Quote from: InetUser on June 05, 2014, 12:47:47 PM

let's face it, Obihai was the biggest offender. (plus we the users)  Guilty as charged?

That may very well be true, but what does that have to do with why Google Voice is still working via XMPP?

Most likely, Google Voice is still working via XMPP because Google never publicly stated it would stop working on May 15, 2014 (or any other date).  If Google were going to make any significant changes to Google Voice, such as disabling XMPP, most would expect them to make a public announcement, which they have not.

vadr

I guess, Google accomplished what they wanted to accomplish by issuing the warning to the "offenders" to stop "unsafe use", so now they can say they made their best effort to stop it. Probably this is important for some government bs, for example making sure that everybody has access to 911.