News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI110 not working after firmware update

Started by kingkong, September 08, 2014, 06:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingkong

I just installed OBI110, logged in to obitalk.com and added the device, I was able to call normally and access the obi110 web page, and then I download the obi-1-3-0-2824.fw firmware and chose update, everything start to fail from here.

The device couldn't communicate with the router and unable to obtain an ip, the power led keep flashing, I changed another lan cable and change another router port, led just keep flashing.
I tried to add device from obitalk, entered the xx5 xxxx code, I got the automated response but the device is never detected. I pushed the little hole under obi110to reset it and also restarted my router, led keep flashing and nothing works. I couldn't access the obi110 web page anymore, what can I do now?

Taoman

You may wish to download and install the latest version of the firmware:

http://fw.obihai.com/OBi110-1-3-0-2872.fw

kingkong

I couldn't access the obi110 webpage at all. I called xxx0 and then 1# it tells me my firmware is already 1.3.0.2872

Taoman

Quote from: kingkong on September 08, 2014, 06:36:49 AM
I couldn't access the obi110 web page anymore, what can I do now?

You could try the following:

1. Disconnect OBi from router

2. Remove power from OBi.

3. Using a paper-clip, depress and hold the reset switch accessible through the bottom of the unit.

4. Reconnect power to OBi.

5. Continue holding the reset button depressed for at least 30 seconds.

The unit should now be reset to factory defaults.

6. Reconnect OBi to router.

kingkong

Still not working, I also rebooted the router again...LED still flashing green light. I called ***1 it says ip not available, dhcp enabled.

Taoman

Quote from: kingkong on September 08, 2014, 08:03:08 AM
Still not working, I also rebooted the router again...LED still flashing green light. I called ***1 it says ip not available, dhcp enabled.

Is this a newly purchased device? Unless someone has a better idea I would open a trouble ticket with Obihai.

I would also disconnect OBi from power for an extended period of time (day or two) if possible.

kingkong

I bought it 5 days ago. It works fine before I update firmware OBi-1-3-0-2824.fw... :'(

the light on the router port is on, it is the same port I used earlier when everything works...so I don't think the router is faulty.

cluckercreek

When you did the "hard reset" with the paper clip, did you watch the light pattern that was flashing? You have to hold it till it it turns solid red then release.

Taoman

Quote from: kingkong on September 08, 2014, 08:21:08 AM
I bought it 5 days ago. It works fine before I update firmware OBi-1-3-0-2824.fw... :'

So you've only applied version 2824 but it's reporting that it's at version 2872? Did you add Google Voice as a service provider? That probably would have triggered an automatic upgrade to 2872.

It's a long shot but you could force your OBi's ethernet port to 100mb full-duplex. You could also set a static ip address for your OBi if you haven't already done so.

The following procedure will change the OBi Ethernet port from 10 mb/s half-duplex to 100 mb/s full-duplex:

1. Dial *** 0

2. Enter option 27 and press #

3. Press 1 to set a new value

4. Enter a value of 1 and press #

5. Press 1 to confirm/save

6. Hang up

7. Wait for the OBi to reboot

kingkong

yes I wait until it turned red, restart power, but it just keep flashing green light. I also tried ***8 to restore factory default, still not working.

kingkong

Quote from: Taoman on September 08, 2014, 08:49:39 AM
Quote from: kingkong on September 08, 2014, 08:21:08 AM
I bought it 5 days ago. It works fine before I update firmware OBi-1-3-0-2824.fw... :'

So ...

OBi to reboot

Yes I applied OBi-1-3-0-2824.fw, it restarted and since then I haven't been able to connect obi110 to the router and I couldn't access the web page from browser. When I call ***0 1# it says I have 1.3.0.2872.

I changed option 27 to 1, still not working.

I set a static ip address, now obi110 gives me solid green light, I rebooted my router but it doesn't show that ip address as active.

I tried add device in obitalk, got the "has been sent to the server" message, but it still fail to connect...

I called **9-222-222-222 it says "There is no service to complete your call".

ok I gtg now, I will come back to this thing tonight, thx guys.

SteveInWA

I'd say, it's not worth the further troubleshooting effort, given what you have tried.  Just open a ticket, and let Obihai deal with it.  They'll either replace it or figure out what's wrong.

kingkong

I reseted both my router and OBI110 to factory setting, router works normally but the OBI110 just keep flashing green light. The cable is securely connected to the router and I have a link light.

If I set a static ip address, obi110 gives me solid green power light, I rebooted my router but it doesn't show that ip address as active even though the link light is on. Then I tried add device in obitalk, got the "has been sent to the server" message, but it still fail to connect...

Then I called **9-222-222-222 it says "There is no service available to complete your call".

I set the IP to DMZ but show no positive effect.

I tried to connect OBI110 directly to my modem, hard reset OBI110 again, it just keeps blinking green.

I tried to use my older router, hard reset router and obi110, my internet connection works fine, but OBI110 just keeps blinking green.

Right now I couldn't think of anything to try, I wish I didn't update that firmware...

SteveInWA

Why won't you contact Obihai about this?  It's under warranty.

kingkong

I already sent email to them, they told me to try things that I've already tried, I am still waiting for their next reply.

kingkong

all right I tried everything I can but it still keeps blinking, I talked to my local merchant and he exchanged another one, now everything is working normal again.  :)

Thx you all for the support. If you also have OBI110, I don't recommend you update firmware OBi-1-3-0-2824.fw found in this page
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

RFC3261

Quote from: kingkong on September 10, 2014, 07:24:29 AMI don't recommend you update firmware OBi-1-3-0-2824.fw found in this page
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

I have upgraded without issue.  Perhaps I was lucky.  Or perhaps you were unlucky.  Hardware failures happen.  And firmware updates do do things like (re)writing flash memory, which if it was near failure (or lacked sufficient number of spare blocks), may push it over the edge.  Or if the power supply was weak, a reboot that asks for (greater than run time) power may result in inability to reboot (seen that with lots of devices, not just the Obi).  And a major router vendor announced at the beginning of the year a failure mode due to bad OEM memory such that any power cycle might result in failure.  Hardware failures happen.  You just have to have appropriate plans in place to deal with failures.

mykmayk

i have all my 3 obi1x's running OBi-1-3-0-2824.fw with no problem -- neither during their update nor their daily use.  lucky me, too  ;D
əʞɪɯ mɪke