News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 expectations from a newbie

Started by tns1, February 28, 2015, 02:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tns1

I am new to the voip/ata concept, so I thought I would ask a few questions. I am considering getting an Obi202 to replace 2 infrequently used landlines (separate numbers/different users). The logical placement for the Obi202 is out in the garage where the two phone lines originate. I would just unplug those lines from the Cox NIU and plug them into the Obi, with a 50ft run of Cat5 to reach my router. The only time I ever expect to need to look at the Obi box is during setup or for (hopefully rare) problem solving.

Is this a reasonable expectation?

I did consider the Ooma Telo, but it does not have two RJ11's (requires a separate linx box), and it sounds like both parties need access to the telo to see the VM indicator (if I actually wanted to use VM). 

I have 2 existing cordless answering machines ATT CL82351, that work well, so I won't be using any forwarding, multi-ring, or VM features that may be available to me, at least not initially. In fact it is important I be able to completely disable any VM feature initially, and not just by having my machine pick up sooner than the VM. If my equip does not answer the call, it should go unanswered. I really just want reliable duplication of the basic landline functionality I have now without any need for web access, once it is all setup.

Is what I describe a reasonable expectation? I ask this because a lot of the posts suggest that the whole voip/ata thing becomes an ongoing hobby for some instead of a tool that just works.

dircom

It is pretty simple to set up an Obi
Can't you put the Obi next to the router, and run a phone wire near the Obi?

be sure and disconnect your phone wire(s) from the outside network interface

tns1

It is cleaner and easier to add one more run of cat5, than to reroute two existing phone lines that go all over.

To restate my questions:
Do users find that they need constant access to the obi to check the lights or reset it, or do they find it can be put away out of sight once it is working?

Are there settings in the obi that allow you to completely disable voice mail and voice mail indication so that a regular answering machine can continue to work without problems?

dircom

Yes, it will work fine with a minimum of effort.  You might have to power cycle it once in a great while.
Plugging it in to a UPS is a good idea.
Voicemail is a function of your VOIP provider, not the Obi
I use a regular answering machine (you know, the kind that uses wire to record sound?)  ;)
The nice thing about a 202 is that you can make and receive calls on two separate phone systems at the same time.
(I do not use the router function of the 202)
There are a lot of advanced users on this forum who set up digit maps, etc etc.
I just use Obitalk to enter the initial setup info, and manage my Obi's and to set up speed dials, decide which numbers should ring on which jacks etc.

SteveInWA

Quote from: tns1 on February 28, 2015, 02:36:24 PM
I am new to the voip/ata concept, so I thought I would ask a few questions. I am considering getting an Obi202 to replace 2 infrequently used landlines (separate numbers/different users). The logical placement for the Obi202 is out in the garage where the two phone lines originate. I would just unplug those lines from the Cox NIU and plug them into the Obi, with a 50ft run of Cat5 to reach my router. The only time I ever expect to need to look at the Obi box is during setup or for (hopefully rare) problem solving.

Is this a reasonable expectation?

I did consider the Ooma Telo, but it does not have two RJ11's (requires a separate linx box), and it sounds like both parties need access to the telo to see the VM indicator (if I actually wanted to use VM). 

I have 2 existing cordless answering machines ATT CL82351, that work well, so I won't be using any forwarding, multi-ring, or VM features that may be available to me, at least not initially. In fact it is important I be able to completely disable any VM feature initially, and not just by having my machine pick up sooner than the VM. If my equip does not answer the call, it should go unanswered. I really just want reliable duplication of the basic landline functionality I have now without any need for web access, once it is all setup.

Is what I describe a reasonable expectation? I ask this because a lot of the posts suggest that the whole voip/ata thing becomes an ongoing hobby for some instead of a tool that just works.

That's a great observation, as you can see from some of the posts here, and on other forums.  It can become a "hobby", or you can just install it like an appliance, and let it work.  Obihai has made it relatively easy for a newbie to set up the device, and then forget about it, for the most part.  As dircom said, plug it into a UPS, to avoid issues caused by momentary power line glitches, and to provide power surge protection. 

I moved my 202 down into the basement many months ago, where it has access to both LAN and my home's telephone wiring, and I haven't had to "visit" it yet.  Device resets/reboots and other maintenance can be performed either from the attached telephone lines, or via the website.

One key to satisfying service is selecting a reliable Internet Telephone Service Provider (ITSP).  There's plenty of back-and-forth debate here, but most users are satisfied with ITSPs who are large enough to have a good-sized, responsive support staff and years of experience as a service provider.  There are very small, cheaper providers out there, but it's worth it to spend a bit more money if you're trying to duplicate the POTS or cable company experience.  Most people here are very satisfied with Callcentric, voip.ms and Phonepower, for example.

tns1

I am looking at Anveo and Voip.ms since they seem popular. Anveo does a slightly better job showing you a complete packages. They could both improve their sites dramatically by just having a page where you could select the options you want, plug in your expected usage, and have it show you estimated cost. Instead you have to visit several pages to hunt for the info.

If I end up using one of the approved providers via Obitalk, it looks like I have to enable remote configuration. Do I need to leave it like this, or can I disable it afterwards and get to the config pages via the LAN port?

SteveInWA

If you use the approved service provider plans, then you need to use the OBiTALK portal.  You can still make configuration changes from the portal's expert config mode, though.  If your goal is a basic, "set it and forget it" telephone service replacement, then this isn't really a big deal.

azrobert

Quote from: tns1 on March 01, 2015, 12:36:45 PM
If I end up using one of the approved providers via Obitalk, it looks like I have to enable remote configuration. Do I need to leave it like this, or can I disable it afterwards and get to the config pages via the LAN port?
You just have to disable OBiTalk provisioning then switch to the local interface for configuring.

Going back to OBiTalk is a little more complicated. You have to take a configuration backup then import the configuration into OBiTalk. The backup does not contain passwords, so the OBitalk configuration will now match the OBi's except for passwords. Turn OBiTalk provisioning on.

SteveInWA

Robert, are you sure you can do that with a device that's on an approved service provider-managed plan?  I haven't used one of those plans.  I've read on Phonepower's website that you can make config changes, but I don't know what the behavior would be if you tried to disable remote provisioning, use the local interface, etc. as in your post.  At minimum, restoring the local config might delete the managed service provider info and require that the device be re-synced with the provider.

I didn't get into any of this with the OP because his point was, to use this as a telephone, not as a hobby.

tns1

When picking a provider, some plans talk about supporting a certain number of 'channels', which I gather is the number of simultaneous calls. One channel would mean that callers get a busy signal if you are already on the phone. Two channels would allow call waiting, or going to VM in that situation.  

Some plans mention that 2 users/SIP accounts are included. Does this mean 2 phone numbers are supported, or two different billing statements, or?

Sub-accounts are sometimes included. What does that do for you?

Is there any technical difference between a local DID number I get from a provider, and my ported landline#?

Generic (ookla) voip tests show I am getting > 25mbps, 20ms pings, 5ms jitter and no errors. Are there known ISPs that the Obi ATA does not work well with due to voip traffic throttling or other issues?

LTN1

Quote from: tns1 on March 01, 2015, 05:29:46 PM
When picking a provider, some plans talk about supporting a certain number of 'channels', which I gather is the number of simultaneous calls. One channel would mean that callers get a busy signal if you are already on the phone. Two channels would allow call waiting, or going to VM in that situation.  

Some plans mention that 2 users/SIP accounts are included. Does this mean 2 phone numbers are supported, or two different billing statements, or?

Is there any technical difference between a local DID number I get from a provider, and my ported landline#?

Generic (ookla) voip tests show I am getting > 25mbps, 20ms pings, 5ms jitter and no errors. Are there known ISPs that the Obi ATA does not work well with due to voip traffic throttling or other issues?

Some of these questions are best answered by the VoIP provider of your choice. I'll try to answer the channels question. With 2 channels, you can have two separate VoIP (or telephone) lines if your device supports it. For example, you can receive one call on one channel and someone can still make a separate call on a second channel (second line) of the same VoIP service. The Obi200 has only one port, so I don't think 2 channels will make much difference. The Obi202 could work...but since I don't have the 202...I don't know for sure.

What I do have is SIP trunks in my VoIP PBX and so if I have 4 channels from the VoIP provider, I can technically receive four calls simultaneously, etc.

As for locally ported DIDs and ones you obtain from the provider, they should all be similar in that they are DIDs--telephone numbers.

202Owner

>>When picking a provider, some plans talk about supporting a certain number of 'channels', which I gather is the number of simultaneous calls. One channel would mean that callers get a busy signal if you are already on the phone. Two channels would allow call waiting, or going to VM in that situation.

Correct.

>>Some plans mention that 2 users/SIP accounts are included. Does this mean 2 phone numbers are supported, or two different billing statements, or?

You get an account with a provider to use their service (1 billing statement).  That typically includes 1 configurable voice service/SIP account.  It may include additional sub-accounts as additional configurable voice services/SIP accounts.  You typically need 1 voice service/SIP account for each individual end user/device... set of phones on 1 'line', 1 softphone on a mobile device, etc.

The OBi202 can be configured for 4 voice services/SIP accounts and 2 end user devices/phones/lines... you'll use 1 voice service/SIP account for each PHONE port to have 2 different phone 'lines'.

A DID can ring one or more voice services/SIP accounts... 1 DID can ring all SIP accounts; 5 DIDs can all ring the same 1 account.  You can wire it up how you want it, depending on the provider and practical usage.  The typical configuration is to mimic traditional phone service and go from there:  did1 >> SIP account1 >> phonejack1.

A voice service/SIP account can carry unlimited SIP sessions/channels subject to the rate plan.  So, 1 voice service/SIP account can have many calls in progress, subject to the channels and bandwidth available, and the physical practicalities of the endpoint... an OBi202 with 2 PHONE jacks can only connect 2 users/lines/sets of phones.

>>Is there any technical difference between a local DID number I get from a provider, and my ported landline#?

No.

>>Generic (ookla) voip tests show I am getting > 25mbps, 20ms pings, 5ms jitter and no errors. Are there known ISPs that the Obi ATA does not work well with due to voip traffic throttling or other issues?

Probably.  You'll have to try it to find out.  Your router is also significant... it must pass SIP traffic without fault.

DIY BYOD VoIP makes it a hobby.  VoIP is not POTS.  If you go this route and set it up, you will be the one supporting it on your network.  Once established, it can be as reliable as any other computing device on your network using an online service 24x7.

MurrayB

I have been using VOIP.ms for over a year with great success. I just added a fourth DID. The website is feature rich with a Wiki that explains things fairly well. Live chat works well and the porting dept. is very cooperative. In my investigation of VOIP.ms vs Anveo I found VOIP.ms more desirable for my needs.

My experience is that the features available via VOIP.ms and Obi with the ability to configure and manage my own service with support from this forum is far superior to the off shore "support" from Verizon, Comcast/Xfinity, etc.

Yes, if and when the internet goes down phone service goes down. Security systems should not be connected to VOIP the communication between the alarm panel and the central station is typically unreliable. I added a cellular communicator to my security system.

Good Luck!

tns1

Obi202 just arrived. Set it up via Obitalk 'dashboard' and successfully called the test#. I took a look at the settings via 'Expert Config' in Obitalk but didn't change anything yet. I also took a look via the device manager config pages. Funny how the ***0,30# is missing from the quick start guide.

When I do a ***0,6# to check FW, it says 'not available', yet I can see there is a newer 3.0.1.4581 (http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0) to replace the 3.0.1.4477 that it shipped with. So should I hold off updating? Are there stable vs intermediate versions? Is there a changelog for each version?

The quickstart guide says I can call any Obi without any further setup. Since the 202 has 2 phone jacks, is there a way phone1 can call phone2, by using a suffix like '**9xxxxxxxxx:2' ? If so, it would be a nice testing method that does not need a provider.

azrobert

Just dial # from either phone port to call the other.

Edit:
In OBi Expert look at the following:

Physical Interfaces -> Phone1/2 Port -> OutboundCallRoute
You will see these rules
Phone1 - {(<#:>):ph2}
Phone2 - {(<#:>):ph}

tns1

QuoteJust dial # from either phone port to call the other.

What is the call routing on this? If it is all internal to the Obi, that only tests your local phones and wiring. I was looking more for a call test that went out to a voip server and back so you could use it to tweak your network config. I am assuming that all obi-to-obi calls go thru obihai servers - is that right?.

azrobert

Yes, it is an internal OBi call.
To call another OBi over OBiTalk network dial **9510123456
510123456 is the OBi Number of the OBi you want to call.
Unfortunately, you cannot call yourself with this method.

I use Chrome.
Click on the green Call OBi Button.
There should be a speed dial in the drop down menu for your OBi202.
If not, type you OBi Number.
Click Call.

SteveInWA

RE:  firmware, it's routine that newer firmware is released after products are manufactured and shipped.  The latest version of the firmware came out last month.  You can easily upgrade the firmware; just read and follow the information in this post (which includes release notes):

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8982.msg59541#msg59541

RE:  testing, you should be able to call the OBi echo test number from your device; that's a sufficient test.  Note that the test number goes down periodically, usually over weekends, so don't panic if it doesn't work.

Time to select your ITSP and get it working!

tns1

OK, updated the FW ok, and I can ring and connect phone1<->phone2 each way. What I cannot do is get 'Call Obi' to make a successful call. I first tried calling the Obitalk test#.

Calling from my PC, I can hear it ringing on my pc speaker, and after a couple of rings it says "connected", but I do not hear the test message on my PC speaker.

When I call my Obi, the connected handset does not ring.

SteveInWA

This is where things diverge from being an appliance to being a hobby.   If your OBi device appears on your OBiTALK portal page, and you were able to upgrade the firmware, and you can call the **9 222 222 222 echo test number, then it's ready to use.  I suggest that you simply sign up with your ITSP of choice, and use that service, rather than spin your wheels with further testing.