News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Firmware update for 20x series

Started by Taoman, May 26, 2015, 01:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

Quote from: ma678 on May 11, 2018, 08:56:31 PM
Will Obi push out 3.2.2 B5859EX regardless 200/202 is under or out of warranty? Which fw should I stay before receiving OTA? I am currently on 3.2.1 B5757EX.

Thanks.

All OBi 200/202 ATAs, and all OBi IP phones, are being pushed the new firmware, regardless of warranty or extended support status.  As long as the OBiTALK provisioning system can reach the device, it'll be upgraded.  This particular update has supposedly now gone out to all those devices, so if yours has/have not yet been upgraded, then you will need to delete the device off of the OBiTALK web portal, restore it to factory defaults, add it back to the portal, and finally, set up Google Voice again.

RFC3261

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 11, 2018, 10:25:22 PM
Actually, I re-discovered a self-inflicted bug yesterday
"Doctor, Doctor, it hurts when I do this".  "STOP DOING THAT!"

The OBi devices have allowed great flexibility in their configurations, and, as we have seen (and I am as guilty as the next person), sometimes someone has created quite the FrankenOBi.

RFC3261

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 11, 2018, 10:30:21 PM
... then you will need to delete the device off of the OBiTALK web portal, restore it to factory defaults, add it back to the portal, and finally, set up Google Voice again.
It would be nice for that process (delete from portal, restore to factory defaults, add to ports, setup GV) for those with remaining issues to be a highlighted stickee topic at the top of the areas so that we (and when I say we, I mean mostly you) have to keep repeating that recommendation again and again as people manage to fall off the OBi GV wagon (especially in a month's time).  If you can push any of your contacts, that would be a nice thing to see happen (and the internal motivation might just be fewer support tickets when GV pulls the plug on XMPP).

bucksitter

After not seeing my Obi 200's firmware update into today, based on a tip from someone over at Howard Forums I accessed my Obi's embedded web page and after verifying still having v3.2.1, I clicked on the Reboot button at the top right of the page.  Watched the Obi's lights do a dance for a very short period of time, then checked firmware version. Might have needed to refresh the page again, but within a minute I was able to verify it'd changed to v3.2.2. GV Legacy Settings is showing the ObiTalk device now instead of Chat. This may or may not be the key for some users.

SteveInWA

Quote from: RFC3261 on May 12, 2018, 11:28:40 AM
... then you will need to delete the device off of the OBiTALK web portal, restore it to factory defaults, add it back to the portal, and finally, set up Google Voice again.
It would be nice for that process (delete from portal, restore to factory defaults, add to ports, setup GV) for those with remaining issues to be a highlighted stickee topic at the top of the areas so that we (and when I say we, I mean mostly you) have to keep repeating that recommendation again and again as people manage to fall off the OBi GV wagon (especially in a month's time).  If you can push any of your contacts, that would be a nice thing to see happen (and the internal motivation might just be fewer support tickets when GV pulls the plug on XMPP).

Good idea, and thanks very much for your support.  I hesitated to do that, only because it was a crude "shotgun" fix, and I don't know exactly what step fixes the underlying issue.  But, the empirical evidence (forum posts here and on the GV forum) show that it solves the problem in most cases.  I suspect that most of the devices that don't work right after the upgrade have some sort of expert-mode settings that borked up the conversion, and thus, factory-restoring them and re-attaching them fix it.

A surprisingly positive result was yesterday, when a friend who is NOT using Google Voice plugged in his 200, after it being powered off for a few weeks during a move, the device automatically got the 8589 firmware, with no action on his part.  The device is off-warranty and has no paid support.

The rollout was supposed to complete yesterday or today.  There may still be some stragglers into next week.

I'll look into writing a sticky post next week.

And, ha ha about nailing me with the doctor analogy!

RFC3261

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 12, 2018, 04:07:14 PM
There may still be some stragglers into next week.
There will be stragglers for weeks, months, and perhaps even years, as people have managed to put their OBi in a knot, and then when they try to add a GV connection down the line they will wonder what is going on.  It is the nature of such roll outs.

Oh, and never forget, there will be a few firmware updates that fail due to hardware issues (there always are a few), and the new firmware will be blamed for turning a perfectly fine OBi2xx into a brick (just like what happened to their OBi1xx all those years ago, and it will just feed into the great conspiracy theory that has been built up).

chilirock

Quote from: bucksitter on May 12, 2018, 11:38:36 AM
After not seeing my Obi 200's firmware update into today, based on a tip from someone over at Howard Forums I accessed my Obi's embedded web page and after verifying still having v3.2.1, I clicked on the Reboot button at the top right of the page.  Watched the Obi's lights do a dance for a very short period of time, then checked firmware version. Might have needed to refresh the page again, but within a minute I was able to verify it'd changed to v3.2.2. GV Legacy Settings is showing the ObiTalk device now instead of Chat. This may or may not be the key for some users.

This also worked for a family member of mine whose whose device was still on v5794EX as of this morning. All provisioning settings were enabled, yet it still hadn't received the update. A simple reboot initiated from the local web page UI triggered the upgrade. It's now on v5859EX.

chilirock

Simply blanking out that field and checking the OBiTALK default setting and submitting, fixed it, and it immediately upgraded to the correct build.  So, just erase that field and hopefully, you'll be good to go.

Steve, Well my device finally did upgrade on it's own after all on Friday morning. So factory resetting and re-adding it to the ObiTalk portal didn't trigger the update, at least not for me. It took somewhere between 24-36 hours after that process for the upgrade to get pushed. It just must not have been ready yet. It's working fine for me now. I'll have to keep the change in mind that you mentioned above to FirmwareURL in case things get stuck in the future.

Another device I manage for a family member has one small issue. The family member's Obi200 device is setup to use CallCentric for all inbound and outbound calls. He is now having issues picking up voicemail left on CallCentric. Normally dialing *123 would go into the CC voicemail system to retrieve messages. After the upgrade to v5859EX , dialing *123 results in 5-6 seconds of dead air before a fast busy sound. I checked the CC call records and there is no record of the call, as though it is never sent from the Obi to CC.

Do you think I accidentally changed something in the settings? Any ideas of why it won't go into voicemail or what settings to check?

ma678

Hi Steve,

I followed your instruction and received 3.2.2 Build 5859EX successfully. Thank you!

Quote from: ma678 on May 11, 2018, 08:56:31 PM
Will Obi push out 3.2.2 B5859EX regardless 200/202 is under or out of warranty? Which fw should I stay before receiving OTA? I am currently on 3.2.1 B5757EX.

Thanks.

All OBi 200/202 ATAs, and all OBi IP phones, are being pushed the new firmware, regardless of warranty or extended support status.  As long as the OBiTALK provisioning system can reach the device, it'll be upgraded.  This particular update has supposedly now gone out to all those devices, so if yours has/have not yet been upgraded, then you will need to delete the device off of the OBiTALK web portal, restore it to factory defaults, add it back to the portal, and finally, set up Google Voice again.

SteveInWA

Quote from: chilirock on May 12, 2018, 06:19:03 PM
Simply blanking out that field and checking the OBiTALK default setting and submitting, fixed it, and it immediately upgraded to the correct build.  So, just erase that field and hopefully, you'll be good to go.

Steve, Well my device finally did upgrade on it's own after all on Friday morning. So factory resetting and re-adding it to the ObiTalk portal didn't trigger the update, at least not for me. It took somewhere between 24-36 hours after that process for the upgrade to get pushed. It just must not have been ready yet. It's working fine for me now. I'll have to keep the change in mind that you mentioned above to FirmwareURL in case things get stuck in the future.

Another device I manage for a family member has one small issue. The family member's Obi200 device is setup to use CallCentric for all inbound and outbound calls. He is now having issues picking up voicemail left on CallCentric. Normally dialing *123 would go into the CC voicemail system to retrieve messages. After the upgrade to v5859EX , dialing *123 results in 5-6 seconds of dead air before a fast busy sound. I checked the CC call records and there is no record of the call, as though it is never sent from the Obi to CC.

Do you think I accidentally changed something in the settings? Any ideas of why it won't go into voicemail or what settings to check?

Pulling the power plug and power-cycling it would have done the same thing as rebooting it from the local web server page.

Regarding Callcentric, check the DTMF method setting.  It should be set to "Auto", which is the default setting when using the OBiTALK portal with its Callcentric configuration template.

But, that setting usually comes into play AFTER you connect to the called party, and you are saying that the friend can't even key in *123 to reach CC VM?  That's sounds like a digit map problem.  Can it call ANY number?

ma678

My three GV accounts show "Connecting to 64.9.240.172" every few minutes. May I change setting anywhere to keep alive interval longer?

Thanks.

SteveInWA

Quote from: ma678 on May 12, 2018, 10:43:53 PM
My three GV accounts show "Connecting to 64.9.240.172" every few minutes. May I change setting anywhere to keep alive interval longer?

Thanks.

NO.  Do NOT change the keep-alive interval.  Google Voice will specifically block connections if the endpoint is sending rapid keep-alives.  Leave it at the default.  In fact, the error you describe can be caused by changing the keep-alive settings.

If you can't get your device to connect and stay connected, then delete it off of the OBiTALK portal, restore it to factory defaults, re-add it to the portal, and re-configure Google Voice.  Do not make any "expert mode" changes to the Google Voice SPx settings.

RFC3261

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 13, 2018, 12:06:26 AM
Google Voice will specifically block connections if the endpoint is sending rapid keep-alives.
My recollection is that if one makes rapid changes via the portal (or power cycle the device repeatedly) one can also run into one/more rate limits (if not with GV, with some other providers), so one should have some patience after making the changes to let those limits expire and for the connections to complete.  Rate limiting is considered a best practice, and some may need to learn the valuable new skill of patience.

chilirock

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 12, 2018, 10:03:18 PM
Regarding Callcentric, check the DTMF method setting.  It should be set to "Auto", which is the default setting when using the OBiTALK portal with its Callcentric configuration template.

But, that setting usually comes into play AFTER you connect to the called party, and you are saying that the friend can't even key in *123 to reach CC VM?  That's sounds like a digit map problem.  Can it call ANY number?

Hi Steve, Regarding "DTMF method", yes, it's set to "Auto". I know for sure that is not something I would have changed.

Regarding "Can it call ANY number?", yes, dialing other numbers and connecting to calls are working as normal, fine.

Regarding, "Sounds like digit map problem", that's what I suspected as well. It seems like the Obi is just not registering the number string that I dialed. It must not be matched to one of the dialing strings so it waits and eventually gives me a fast busy tone.

I am by no means a digit map guru, not even a digit map neophyte. I wouldn't know what to check or where. I know I didn't change the digit map. If you or someone else has a suggestion for what to check it would be appreciated.   

ma678

Does anyone know how GV's call forwarding works? I enabled unconditional forwarding on three GV accounts to sp1(my cellphone #). Sometime I can get calls forwarded, and sometimes not. Doesn't new GV sip support call forwarding?

Thanks.

SteveInWA

Quote from: ma678 on May 13, 2018, 07:26:25 PM
Does anyone know how GV's call forwarding works? I enabled unconditional forwarding on three GV accounts to sp1(my cellphone #). Sometime I can get calls forwarded, and sometimes not. Doesn't new GV sip support call forwarding?

Thanks.

Your post is unclear.  Don't use unconditional call forwarding.

Google Voice is an inbound call forwarding service.  You either obtain an inbound Google Voice phone number from Google's supply of free phone numbers, or you port in a mobile number.  Then, you "link" or add, up to six 10-digit, US telephone numbers as forwarding numbers.  When someone calls your Google Voice number it will forward calls to those telephone numbers.  This has nothing to do with OBiTALK devices.

Separately from that, Google Voice can forward calls to as many OBiTALK devices as you wish.

If you mean that your OBiTALK device is no longer ringing on inbound calls, then it's probably because of the past week's firmware upgrade and the conversion to Google Voice's new VoIP platform.

Please see:  https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.msg89076#msg89076

zorlac

Is there a working url for their ftp sever to download the latest revision of fw?
I wish they had a normal ftp site that I could peruse.  :-[

This works:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-1-5794EX.fw

But this doesn't:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-2-5859EX.fw

Thanks

SteveInWA

Quote from: zorlac on May 14, 2018, 11:42:04 AM
Is there a working url for their ftp sever to download the latest revision of fw?
I wish they had a normal ftp site that I could peruse.  :-[

This works:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-1-5794EX.fw

But this doesn't:  http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-2-8589EX.fw

Thanks

Just let the system push the update to your device automatically.

GPz1100

@zorlac

That's a good question.  I too prefer to update my devices manually, not have 'stuff' pushed to them.

Crow550

If you refuse to let it auto update then you'll just have to wait until they release it as a manual update that is if they do as they are wanting to roll this out as an auto update at the moment. Maybe testing this for future auto update features.

I'd imagine that a manual option will be present before the June 18th XMPP retire date. However ask Steve if he knows the status of future manual updates and or if auto updating will be improved to prevent bricking. Try contacting the companies support as well.

He's said for the time being to just let the system auto update.